Montblanc Marcel Proust

Bryant

Initial Impression: 10/10

I had been eying this pen for years and never really thought I would have the money or chance to buy one. It was really just a pipe dream, so I jumped on the opportunity when the price and the timing was right for me. I feel it’s the cleanest and most elegant of all the Writers Editions. The detail is not simple by any means, but it has that “ I’m gorgeous with out trying look”. It doesn’t help that I LOVE :cloud9: Sterling Silver Pens. The box, is very cool as it is with all Writers Editions the box looks like a book.

post-6300-1214340591_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214340625_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214340630_thumb.jpg

Look/Finish/Hardware: 10/10

So, my soft spot for Silver is paired with my love for overlays and filigrees with this pen. The low Relief designs are classy, but don’t get in the way of is practical use. For me that’s important. I need to be able to use it. The pictures speak for the overlay and the signature is very non-obtrusive to the Chi of the pen. The cap is resin and has two sterling silver bands on the bottom of the cap, and the clip says Montblanc with the mountain in the middle like the vintage MBs have. The nib has an hourglass on it and what looks like scrolls bordering where it the white gold and yellow gold meet. The nib is 18k and has the number 4810 and the year 1999. The year this Writers Edition was released.

post-6300-1214340675_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214340655_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214340647_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214340638_thumb.jpg

Feel/Balance: 9/10

-This pen is the perfect size for long writing.

-The balance is perfect! This pen was meant to post, as there are threads on the back of the body. (Hooray for me! I love to post my pens!) The only downfall to this is that if you wanted to use the pen for quick notes or you are used to pulling the pen out quickly and putting it away, this pen may not work for you, but this does not bother me. As its designed to be posted, the weight is off when you don’t, and it’s not as comfortable to me. This is the only reason it got a 9/10 in stead a 10/10, because above that it’s a flawless design.

-The pen is also light, so once again great for long writing.

-Usually I like bigger and heftier pens, but I have found a new love for medium sized pens with this.

post-6300-1214340698_thumb.jpg

Filling System10/10 Nib: 8/10

The filling system is a Piston filler so in my book it gets a 10. Now if it had the ink window it would be even better, but not worth a point to me…The nib is amazing, but I had to smooth it out for a couple seconds before it was perfect. So that’s why it gets an 8. It’s a 10 now, but to be fair I think it should be “out of the box”. The nib is a fine with decent give, I wouldn’t call it flex, but its nice and soft… Once again perfect for long writing.

post-6300-1214340705_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214340690_thumb.jpg

Price/Value: Bought in 99 10/10 Price I paid 8/10

This is the most expensive pen I have ever purchased so that’s why it gets an 8. I think if you where able to buy this in 99 or soon after from a dealer it would be a 10. The pen is well worth what they are charging for the Writers Editions now. Even though I felt I paid an arm and leg for this, I have seen them go for $300-$500 more than what I paid, so I feel like I paid under the “market price”, which for Montblancs can be a little ridiculous at times. Did I loose sleep when I bought it??? Yes! Do I regret it??? No!

Even though many collectors say that pens are for using and not an investment. I disagree completely. Even though I don’t plan on selling this, its nice to know that if I wanted to sell it I could at least get my money back and plus some. That’s seems like a good investment to me. So my price VS market price 12/10!

post-6300-1214340681_thumb.jpg

Overall: 9/10

This pen was a “Holy Grail” to me for quite some time and I sold a great number of pens to buy it and I don’t regret it at all. Some say, you could own 10 nice pens for the price of this one. And they are right! But for me, I would rather own just one amazing pen than 10 nice ones.

Unless I come across hard times or some other Super Pen arrives on the scene that I cant say no too, I imagine this pen will be given to my son when he turns 25. (That’s 24 years; I hope I can let go of it by then)

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bryant

• tireiron

• goodguy

• Tom Kellie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

GORGEOUS PHOTOS!

I especially like the nib in the foreground, the rest of the body out of focus in the background, and the close-up of the insignia on top.

Okay, now to read the review (!).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

GORGEOUS PHOTOS!

I especially like the nib in the foreground, the rest of the body out of focus in the background, and the close-up of the insignia on top.

Okay, now to read the review (!).

Thanks! Its easy to take good pics when you have such a great model!

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

So this took the place of the Marostica, then? Looks like a nice choice!

Ha! I wish this satisfied that itch! Unfortunately it just fed the fire as the low relief overlay is so similar! :headsmack:

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

I was always overwhelmed with a sense of ennui as the Marcel Proust pen had to be a Mont Blanc. But I am taken back by its beauty, I suppose I could buy one and have nib customized.

I know of one other Proustian Pen, but it triples the msrp of the MB version.

But the most important question is...how does it smell? Just kidding! :happyberet:

Congratulations, thanks for the pics and review, and if it makes you feel better--just know that I am super jealous.

Thanks for a good review of one of the more inspired MB Writers. I find the pen elegant and timeless in design. In operation the only things I didn't like are: (1) the roughly four turns it takes to get the cap on and off; and (2) posting the pen is accomplished by screwing it in. This is not a pen to use if you are prone to quick note taking. No, this is for deliberate and thoughtful writing sessions.

Congratulations on your find. What do you want next?

Great review, and wonderful pics. Thanks.

During the course of two round-the-world trips, I managed to read all of In Search of Lost Time, and so my MB Proust holds special significance for me of those "lost" times. Beyond that, however, the pen is a modern masterpiece of elegant, traditional design and one of my finest writers. Of the 60 or so pens in my collection, it's one of a handful I'd never want to part with.

During the course of two round-the-world trips, I managed to read all of In Search of Lost Time, and so my MB Proust holds special significance for me of those "lost" times. Beyond that, however, the pen is a modern masterpiece of elegant, traditional design and one of my finest writers. Of the 60 or so pens in my collection, it's one of a handful I'd never want to part with.

I believe it still holds the record for the longest book!

VERY NICE!!! CONGRAD BRYANT AND THANKS FOR THE REVIEW.

Thanks! I had fun doing it!

I was always overwhelmed with a sense of ennui as the Marcel Proust pen had to be a Mont Blanc. But I am taken back by its beauty, I suppose I could buy one and have nib customized.

I know of one other Proustian Pen, but it triples the msrp of the MB version.

But the most important question is...how does it smell? Just kidding! :happyberet:

Congratulations, thanks for the pics and review, and if it makes you feel better--just know that I am super jealous.

It smells fantastic! Thanks for asking? If you did get one, what you get the nib customized to?

Thanks for a good review of one of the more inspired MB Writers. I find the pen elegant and timeless in design. In operation the only things I didn't like are: (1) the roughly four turns it takes to get the cap on and off; and (2) posting the pen is accomplished by screwing it in. This is not a pen to use if you are prone to quick note taking. No, this is for deliberate and thoughtful writing sessions.

Congratulations on your find. What do you want next?

Well, I have been a little MB crazy lately... Just got this, a Dumas, Nikolai and a Dostoevsky is in the mail. I suppose I will probably end up selling either or both the Dostoevsky and/or the Nikolai and getting a Jules... Thats the one I really want... Nut the Nikolai is growing on me and we will see about the Dostoevsky

Thanks Richard... What else in your collection would you not sell?

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

The smell part had to do with Proustian caricatures . Anyway, I would get a m nib ground to a f with a 15 degree ob. That is just how my pens roll, well except for my "paintbrush" watermans (you don't screw with that kind of smoothness).

At first I thought the Nickolai was namesake for Nickolai Gogol...I would pay 5 grand for a pen like that!!!! I can't believe you have the Dostoevsky, did I mention I was JEALOUS!

And if you decide on selling the Dostoevsky, be sure to let me know! Before I spend my remaining budget at the folio society.

Edited by tireiron

The smell part had to do with Proustian caricatures . Anyway, I would get a m nib ground to a f with a 15 degree ob. That is just how my pens roll, well except for my "paintbrush" watermans (you don't screw with that kind of smoothness).

At first I thought the Nickolai was namesake for Nickolai Gogol...I would pay 5 grand for a pen like that!!!! I can't believe you have the Dostoevsky, did I mention I was JEALOUS!

And if you decide on selling the Dostoevsky, be sure to let me know! Before I spend my remaining budget at the folio society.

Ahhh... Got it... You have to forgive me, I live in Tucson, AZ... The heat is getting to me... I love fine nibs, but have not tried OB yet... I really should...

I should get the Dostoevsky by tomorrow or Thursday... If I decide to sell (To be honest I'm sure I will. It was an impulse purchase) You got first dibs... PM me if your serious...

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Well I am in Phoenix, so all is forgiven. :) I would suggest buying a cheap Pelikan from Binder (200 bodies are like $50). He does great work. I bought a 215 with an ob grind, and I cant seem to put it down, even though the small body cramps my hand.

Well I am in Phoenix, so all is forgiven. :) I would suggest buying a cheap Pelikan from Binder (200 bodies are like $50). He does great work. I bought a 215 with an ob grind, and I cant seem to put it down, even though the small body cramps my hand.

Eek! I thought it was hot here! Do you guys even go outside up there?

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

I should get the Dostoevsky by tomorrow or Thursday... If I decide to sell (To be honest I'm sure I will. It was an impulse purchase) You got first dibs... PM me if your serious...

Bryant,

Once you see the chasing on the barrel of the Dostoevsky you may think twice about selling it. Richard Binder has a great review of the pen in this forum.

Mark

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try" Mark Twain (American Humourist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)

Bryant,

Once you see the chasing on the barrel of the Dostoevsky you may think twice about selling it. Richard Binder has a great review of the pen in this forum.

Mark

I am actually afraid of that...

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Yes, but it isn't pretty. On the other hand, during the summer--the ASU campus is full ladies with interesting outfits, just saying...

Yes, but it isn't pretty. On the other hand, during the summer--the ASU campus is full ladies with interesting outfits, just saying...

"interesting" outfits eh?

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

From one Proust fanatic to another .... ENJOY

This is my favorite pen and the go to one in my collection. I had Richard Binder take it down to a tolerable fine and improve the flow. I have a lot of hi-end pens - this and my David Oscarson are the 2 best looking, best writing, best of the best.... It never, ever fails to bring a smile when I reach for it every day.

I hope it brings you as much good cheer as mine does to me.

Andy W.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n175/weissela/David%20Oscarson/th_nibovercapII.jpg[/url]