Montblanc 146

purpledog

Appearance and Finish 4.50/5.00

The pen was bought as slightly used. The pen measures 14.7 cm capped. The aesthetic condition is excellent, with micro-scratches visible only if you scrutinize for them. The finish is excellent. The cap takes about 1 turn to be capped or uncapped. When capped, there is a very slight movement of the cap when a little pressure is applied to test the ‘snugness’ of the cap when capped.

Design, Size, and Weight 4.50/5.00

I like the traditional look of the Meisterstruck pens. On the size, the length is just right for me, but I prefer a thicker pen. Maybe I should get a 149. Unposted, the pen feels alright for me. Although I prefer heavy pens, I am perfectly at ease with using a lighter pen.

Nib Design and Performance 4.75/5.00

The nib is 14k EF. I like the design of the nib, which has pretty engraving on it. Although the nib is EF, the nib is very smooth. The stiff EF nib writes like a Fine line, which is in between wet and slightly less-than-wet.

Filling System 4.75/5.00

The pen is a piston-filler and draws in a lot of ink. There is a window to see the amount of ink left.

Value 4.50/5.00

I bought from a fellow FPN member for $185 including shipping. It came with the original paper and box. The seller told me he bought it from the FPH, so there is no need to doubt the authenticity of the pen.

Conclusions 23.00/25.00

This is one of those pens that I tell myself I would like to get when I start using fountain pens. I like the pen, and am thinking of getting a 149 in future. I don’t rule out the possibility of trading or selling the 146 for a 149.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3235/2598282047_d0fcf7e337_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3207/2599114700_3a42f1f0ec_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/2599114860_ac82510c71_b.jpg

purpledog

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• purpledog

• FrankB

• georges zaslavsky

• Pravda

Top Posters In This Topic

Another good review. Thanks.

You are getting some great pens here of late. :thumbup: Like the Pel M-1000, I also love the conservative styling of the 146. It has good balance and a good feel in the hand. It is quite different from the flat top Pelikan design, yet equally comfortable in its own way.

I have an EF nib on one of my 146's, too. I have never had a problem with it - ever. One suggestion I might make is to try a couple diffrent inks in your pen. My EF was writing an EF/F line with some inks. I recently tried Herbin "Bleu Myosotis" and the nib is giving me a fairly dry but sharp true EF line. The dryness of the ink makes me show down a bit to get a good ink flow, but the true EF line allows me to make excellent, clear entries in my checkbook ledger (which is the pen's main use).

If you like the feel of the 146 and the size of the Pel M-1000, you will probably love a 149.

Another good review. Thanks.

You are getting some great pens here of late. :thumbup: Like the Pel M-1000, I also love the conservative styling of the 146. It has good balance and a good feel in the hand. It is quite different from the flat top Pelikan design, yet equally comfortable in its own way.

I have an EF nib on one of my 146's, too. I have never had a problem with it - ever. One suggestion I might make is to try a couple diffrent inks in your pen. My EF was writing an EF/F line with some inks. I recently tried Herbin "Bleu Myosotis" and the nib is giving me a fairly dry but sharp true EF line. The dryness of the ink makes me show down a bit to get a good ink flow, but the true EF line allows me to make excellent, clear entries in my checkbook ledger (which is the pen's main use).

If you like the feel of the 146 and the size of the Pel M-1000, you will probably love a 149.

I own two 146, one from 1966-1970 with a full flexible medium oblique nib and a 1986 extra fine semiflexible 18ct nib. They are very good writers, very well made and with a classic design. My advice is to go for the 149, a very well built pen.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thank you for the great review and amazing pictures :) I also got my 146 recently and it was nice to see such nice pictures of it and the review..

I believe that the 149 is going to be a whole new experience for you :) Don't sell the 146 for it though because they are different, i.e. there will be times when you will choose not to accompany your 149 and will take the 146 instead :)

Enjoy it :thumbup:

My advice to you is keep the 146.

I own both the 146 and 149 and even though they are very close related they feel different while writing with them.

I love using both pens and get a great kick from both as users and as cabinet pieces.

No doubt though that if I needed to choose only one I'd go for my queen (my 149) but simply because its my favorite pen.

Again great review and wonderful pictures.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

Thanks for the encouraging words.

The reason why I mentioned I might trade the 146 for a 149 is because I thought if I have a 149, I might not use the 146 at all, since both are of similar design except of different girths. Good to know both have different writing experience.

purpledog

Nice review of the quintessential fountain pen. You paid a great price for a pen that is not only a great writer, but a great design statement that has been little changed since the late 50s when I believe it first appeared. Best wishes.