Not a Parker, but an incredible simulation? Hero 616

Sailor Kenshin

Hero 616

To elaborate on the brief handwritten review below, the Hero 616 Jumbo closely resembles one of those sought-after Parker models. The scan fails to reveal the true color of the ink I used to test it with. It's actually a beautiful martini-olive green, and once loaded, the pen was a fast starter right out of the gate. It's light and balanced in my hand, and the fatter barrel means it's quite comfortable.

I get a kick out of the clear band where the pen unscrews, and the hooded nib, and the trademark arrow clip. I also like the feel of how it writes, with its firm, semi-dry yet fluent line. After using the Hero 616, my Waterman Phileas, say, or my new Pelikano both seem to write like a garden hose.

Different pens inspire different ways of thinking and expression. The Pelikano and Phileas work well when I'm writing on hard, indifferent paper as fast as I can, loosely and with little regard for the shape of letters.

The Hero 616 is a pen for careful musings, for long paragraphs of notes on sleek paper. It performs equally well on Levenger pads and no-name dollar bin pads. Ever since I saw one in an old movie, I've wanted one of those hooded-nib Parkers. At around ten dollars, this Hero is an incredible simulation and a great addition to my low-price pen collection.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/ProfessorBunky/Pens%20etc/Hero616.jpg

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Sailor Kenshin

• freznow

• bdngrd

Fun review! I like your depictions, and tend to agree with your opnions. The history of Hero, IIRC, is that when Mao kicked the western businesses out of China, the former Parker factory there changed its name to Hero. Anyone out there able to confirm?

The Danitrio Fellowship

I believe that's right, one of the Hero factories at least still operating is the old Parker factory.

I wrote last month praising the 616. I have four now, and they are all good writers. I have noticed that the nib likes to be primed after being idle for a few days - either a new draw of ink or a dot squeezed out does the trick.

They are really excellent pens for the money and I can carry one in summer tucked to a shirt placket without worrying, unlike the real 51s.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

The hero 616 was my first pen, and I am enjoying it. Mine is a bit too wet/broad for me, so I'm planning on getting a 330 next, but I can't argue with the price and quality of Heros! I adore mine.

The hero 616 was my first pen, and I am enjoying it. Mine is a bit too wet/broad for me, so I'm planning on getting a 330 next, but I can't argue with the price and quality of Heros! I adore mine.

You must really like a bone-dry, hair-fine writer! This one seems plenty fine to me. :roflmho:

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

You must really like a bone-dry, hair-fine writer! This one seems plenty fine to me. :roflmho:

I do, but I've also heard there's a bit of variation in them, so it might just be that I have a wet one.

Fun review! I like your depictions, and tend to agree with your opnions. The history of Hero, IIRC, is that when Mao kicked the western businesses out of China, the former Parker factory there changed its name to Hero. Anyone out there able to confirm?

I heard the story that Hero existed as an independant company prior to the Chinese revolution. But yes, the Parker factory was turned over to Hero.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

The Hero 616 jumbo is a great pen. Very light, inexpensive, fairly well made (although strange things do happen -- one of mine has an off-center split in the nib tipping and examples where the barrel is cemented along with the hood exist) and nicely writing pen.

Mine have been quite reliable, only getting cranky and dry if not used for a week or more. You need to shove pretty hard when they are new to cap them completely, the clutch is very tight to start with. It gets smoother a easier to cap properly after a few weeks.

I also like the Hero 329 (mine are old style) and the 330. The 336 is identical for all intents and purposes, except for a medium instead of fine nib and gold plating in the nib.

The nibs fit Parker "51"s if you want a very fine, quite smooth nib and can't find a Parker one.

Peter

...The nibs fit Parker "51"s if you want a very fine, quite smooth nib and can't find a Parker one.

Do they on yours? I wonder if there's been a recent design change?

I bought a pack of 10 from Speerbob last month, and the nibs from those do not fit a P51. I compared them with a P51 nib. The tube diameter was less than the P51 - the P51 nib tangs would have to be filed to go in the Hero. The nib was also about 4mm shorter than the P51 nib. The slit length and breather hole position was the same though. The result of putting the Hero 616 nib in a P51 would be to have a point under the end of the hood.

Regards

Richard.