Pelikan Sahara Impressions

wil

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2302/2224737724_e36bee009a.jpg

First Impressions

At first, I wasn't sure what to expect from the new body style as I never had a chance to check out the Niagara Falls. I am glad to say that the tweaks on the new body style enhanced the writing experience of a very usable design.

Appearance and Finish

One of the reasons why I decided to purchase the Sahara is because of it's unique colour scheme and design. The off-white is much more pronounced compared to the M400 honey and it reminiscent of vintage designs. On the other hand, I miss the old pelikan cap end where the black pelikan logo sticks out. The Sahara cap end has a smaller pelikan logo surrounded by a larger brass ring and everything is flushed. (Sorry, I didn't take a photo of this).

Design / Size / Weight

The Sahara is about the same size as the M600 series. However, with the added weight from barrel and larger barrel diameter, the Sahara feels like a much more substantial writing instrument. The 600 series are light, nimble writing instruments where I feel like I can write for hours without tiring. Writing with Sahara felt more like a 146. Somehow, it felt very appropriate for the appearance/design. I am really enjoying the writing experience.

Nib Design & Performance

Sahara has the typcial M600 series two-tone nib. I think most find the nib too small but I think this the contributing factor the 600 series writability. Out of the box, one of the tines was a tad off and I had to align it slightly. Unlike other Pelikan medium nibs, I thought this particular nib show a bit more character with a tad more tooth/edge.

Filling System

Better than usual Pelikan quailty piston filler. The action on the piston mechanism felt solid. Theres is no ink window unfortunately, probably due to the materials or the new shape.

Cost/Value

I have not been shopping around for pens lately and I don't really have much of a benchmark to compare to. I guess this is all relative anyway. For around $300 though, I think there is great value for the workmanship, quality, and unique design.

Overall Opinion

This is an above average Pelikan. I am not sure if this is due to the new design or Pelikan stepped up it's workmanship but I find the Sahara to be a solid writing instrument. The piston mechanism felt robust and I really like what they've done with the capping threads. Capping and uncapping the Sahara is a joy, requiring about 1/4 less turn compared to other Pelikans. The point where the cap is fully secure feels more defined where I don't feel like I am overtighting and I am confident that it'll stay capped. The larger diameter and heft is a welcome change and it's perfect for someone wanting something in between a 600 and an 800 series Pelikan. A definite recommendation if you find yourself drawn to the unique design and colour scheme.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2056/2224738122_a7de217870.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silvermink

• Pen2009

• njwbert

• tawanda

I got to see and handle this pen at the Philly Pen Show this past weekend. It is a beautiful pen!

It has great weight, and the color scheme is terrific! Much better in appearance than the Niagra Falls version IMHO.

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Thanks for the review! I'd wondered about this pen. It looked different and unique. I'll have to keep my eye on it.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Is it similar in weight to a regular m600 or is it heavier?

I had a chance to test it during the Art Brown Pen Fair - it's heavier than the M600, definitely.

• 3 months later...

I have and use a Pelikan M640 Sahara binderized with a medium (9mm) cursive italic wet nib. A wonderful writer by Richard Binder! The pen is much more beautiful in the hand than in the photos. The photos look great but don't quite do justice to the beauty and quality of the Sahara.

I do like my Niagara Falls. But to me the Sahara has a particular beauty due to its colors and the tactile design of the "sand dunes" on the barrel. The reflections of light on the surface and shape of the movings hills of the dunes on the barrel as you turn the pen, this also gives the pen a special enhancement to its beauty. The barrel is made from lacquer over engraved metal.

Pelikan tought not only about the perceptions of beauty in the visual senses of color, shape, details, etc., but also in the tactile senses when they designed the Sahara.

The Pelikan M640 line of natural wonders is a more substantial pen because it is a bit longer, fatter and heavier than the M600's or M620's. However, it feels comfortable in my medium sized hand. I think the shape, materials and design of the pen helps in its comfort, balance and usability. The M640 use the same nib size as the other M6**.

Can't deny that I fell in love with the Pelikan M640 Sahara. :wub:

Edited by Levatio

This is a great review! Really kept me thinking on which pen to buy. I am still undecided between the M640 series Polar Lights or Sahara, or the M620 series Piccadilly Circus and Place de la Concorde. Choices, choices...

• 9 months later...

Getting my Sahara soon - just sent off the money order this morning. :D

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• 1 month later...

How is the nib on the Sahara? Is it similar to what you experience with M400 BT or M1000? If it says, for example, M on its Sahara nib, it is really M like the 400 (M) or 1000 (M)?

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Ooh! I've wanted one of these ever since I happened across them by accident at Joon's website.

I'm hoping to see one for sale on here one day, at a price I can afford.

The tactile feel on the Sahara is very nice as it has the just right amount of ribbed waves on the barrel. It is almost the same size as the Aurora 88 and weighs just right for comfortable writing. Its color scheme really stands out from my flock of pens in a good way.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did the review mention anything about the Sahara barrel being "etched" ?

I mean, the lines on the barrel are actually " wavy groves" that depicts the sand waves in the desert. It is beautiful ! :thumbup:

I really like my Sahara. I think I'm going to be sending the nib off for regrinding to a fine stub at some point; while it writes nicely, the nib just isn't very exciting, so it needs a bit of modificatin'. :)

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• 8 years later...