Taking apart a LAMY 2000

KCkc

Since I posted on PT in response to how to take apart the LAMY 2000, I might as well post one over here for future reference.

The section unscrews :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/ebaywatch888/IMG_1218.jpg

Make sure you do not lose the ring which acts as a spring to help the section slip tightly into cap:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/ebaywatch888/IMG_1221.jpg

As for piston removal, Tom McG. (tomandeva) suggested :

Holding the pen nib-end up, blind-cap down, unscrew the cap past the stop (it will/should take firm, but not strong, pressure to move the cap past the stop) and off the end of the barrel. There will be a clear plastic piece in the blind-cap. Remove it, and thread it back onto the piston - far enough to engage the threads on the piston, but not so far that you can't grip it. Pull gently to extract the piston.

I hope this helps.

As for taking the nib, Mr Rene suggested :

The nib section is like Lamy Safari line (and other lamy pens),just covered with the hood section,you can pull out the nib assembly..carefully,of course

Good luck,

Rene

Have fun, it is a very indestructible pen to take apart IMHO.

Thanks to all the gurus who helped out in this. :meow: :lol: :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• piembi

• declanh

• fmp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AAhh, I had the same idea to show how easy it is to unscrew a Lamy 2000. You were faster :D . But the info about the piston is new to me, thanks for sharing :)

A Q-Tip fits perfectly into the barrel hole, if necessary.

Edited by saintsimon

Not to hijack the thread but may I ask where you attianed such a nice pen holder?

It is actually a soap dish that I found in local store for less than $10.

It is called rubber wood and it has a coating on it. It is about 5" long. B/C me if you need me to pick up one for you.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

My apologies if this question has already been answered...I'm a newbie here, but I've tried to search past posts and couldn't find an answer. How does one remove the steel hood on the Lamy 2000 to reveal the nib? Does it unscrew, or just pull out? Is this step necessary in routine cleaning?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

The nib and feed can be pushed out with ease from the hood itself (Hint, hint, Kckc more pictures would be nice. :) )

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

And a word of caution. When you put the nib and feed assembly back into the pen, make sure that you have the orientation right, and that you have pushed it gently all of the way forward into the section. It's very easy to break fins off of the collector if the feed isn't seated properly when you screw the section back on.

All in all, and elegantly simple and well made pen.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• 1 year later...
And a word of caution. When you put the nib and feed assembly back into the pen, make sure that you have the orientation right, and that you have pushed it gently all of the way forward into the section. It's very easy to break fins off of the collector if the feed isn't seated properly when you screw the section back on.

Damn, I am ANNOYED. I have been searching for hours looking for some hints on how to remove the nib and feed assembly from the hood? If somebody (anybody) can give me some information on how to do this that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Once the section is unscrewed from the pen, you can wiggle the feed while gently pushing on the nib from the front. The nib and feed will come out of the section as a unit. The nib then slides forward off of the feed.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Once the section is unscrewed from the pen, you can wiggle the feed while gently pushing on the nib from the front. The nib and feed will come out of the section as a unit. The nib then slides forward off of the feed.

How do you grip the feed? Is it safe to push on the nib tip?

It "safe" to push the nib tip. Meaning, if it comes out easily, you won't do any damage, but if it is jammed up, you could jack the nib up pretty good!

I've been able to remove mine with some wiggling and some pushing.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Or, if you are a total doofus like me, and don't have the ring properly aligned when you screw the top back on, you will raise up a few really nice Makrolon bumps. Thankfully, I was able to use a burnisher to push them back down. I don't think I had the pen 24 hours before I pulled this boneheaded move....

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

How do you grip the feed? Is it safe to push on the nib tip?

Hi, I can get the feed and nib out of my 2000 using tweezers (eyebrow tweezers are good lol). Get a firm but not hard grip around the feed and it should just pull out if it's been in water for a bit and not clogged with ink.

I try not to push via the nib at the front since I think it's risky and may damage the nib (I had an extra fine nib and damaged it when I tried pushing it through.

Nice instructions, KC--thanks for posting. Interesting; the nib removal on the 2000 is very similar to other Lamy models like the 27 and 47. And the piston removal is the same as on the 27. No surprise that Lamy took a good design and just continually enhanced it rather that trying to come up with a completely different design.

If I can remember, I'll have to do a photo comparison of a 2000 and 27 both fully disassembled. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 3 months later...

Hi, could someone tell me if i was too rough in the way i removed the nib?

ironcally, i was too afraid of pushing it too hard (edit: i meant, pushing with my hand, so i used this marker. ) how much force is required? same effort in unscrewing an eyeglass' screws, firm and steady enough to prevent slipping)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ceeteelee/P1040199.jpg

the reward of my 'mishandling'

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ceeteelee/P1040200.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ceeteelee/P1040204.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ceeteelee/P1040206.jpg

the side view of the nib is interesting to me (a newbie)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/ceeteelee/P1040228.jpg

Edited by along

• 3 weeks later...

Hrmm... Let's just say that there's no way in hell I would've taken it out that way. :P Going to have dreams about that whiteboard marker... :)

I've always gotten the nib/feed unit out by just using my fingers on the nib-end. Sometimes it seems that I have to sort of get the part of the feed that is exposed over the lip of the hood. I get it out by holding the section in one hand and rocking the nib- it's well connected to the feed. That usually rocks it down enough that I can use my fingers to carefully pull the feed out through the barrel end of the section.

But, if your method worked and didn't wreck your nib, that's peachy. But, I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone else. :P

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

First, you've got to soak the section to get dried ink out that might be holding the nib/feed unit in place. An ultrasonic bath is the best method. An alternative is forcing warm water through it with a squeeze bulb.

NEVER push on the nib like that. :o You're lucky you didn't bend the tines! The method I find that works well is to use a wide rubber band and grip the nib with forefinger and thumb, then push gently. If the unit doesn't slide out with reasonable force, you need more flushing and/or ultrasonic bath time.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

First, you've got to soak the section to get dried ink out that might be holding the nib/feed unit in place. An ultrasonic bath is the best method. An alternative is forcing warm water through it with a squeeze bulb.

NEVER push on the nib like that. :o You're lucky you didn't bend the tines! The method I find that works well is to use a wide rubber band and grip the nib with forefinger and thumb, then push gently. If the unit doesn't slide out with reasonable force, you need more flushing and/or ultrasonic bath time.

I can second the flushing/ultrasonic cleaner method. If the pen (L2K or Lamy 27) is reasonably clean, the nib comes out easily. I grip the nib either with a paper towel or with thin rubber gloves. If it does not come out easily, go back to cleaning .....