Sailor 1911 L with a Cross Concord Emperor

Shinichiro

Hi fellow FPNers!

I don't have much time right now, so I might complete my post later (if that's possible) but there was just no way I would not share with you my thoughts on the "beast" which finally arrived today ;)

The pen

Well, there's nothing really to say about the pen itself. It is a very simple design (looks like the meisterstuck) but efficient. It comes well in the hand (and mine are not big). For me, it is long enough without the cap posted, but it has a better balance imho with the cap posted. The only "negative point" for me is that it may be a little too light. I like feeling my pen in my hand, so I would have appreciated if it had a bit more weight.

The filling system

I also own a Sapporo with a zoom nib, so I was aware of "this", as you are certainly as well... I mean...Sailor converter is soooooooo tiny!!! And with that kind of nib, you'd better have a nice ink reserve if you see what I mean! ^^ (and if you don't, I'll talk about the nib in the next paragraph :D) So, imho, I think the best is to buy a set of cartridges, and refill them with a syringe. That's what I'm going to do anyway.

The nib

Last but not least... the very think which made me want to write this review...This nib is a pure jewel! First of all, it is "good-looking" (please, don't send me to the hospital, I'm not mad I'm not mad :D). But above all...it is one of the most amazing nib I've ever written with. Try it, you'll love it (like me) or you'll hate it. There's no medium stance. It can almost does everything, from fine to very broad with a "brush" feeling. It's really gorgeous. Pleasure and efficiency, what else would we ask of a nib? ;) I could talk about it for some more time, but a writting sample is better imo :) I hope you'll enjoy reading it as much as I did when writting it!

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/3825/p0166kx2.th.jpghttp://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7126/p0167yo9.th.jpg

Since it is my first review here, I'm not sure I did the right thing... so tell me if I'm wong! Because there are some ink and pens on my desk I'd like to review as well :)

Have a nice day!

Yours ever,

Shinichiro.

P.S.: If the pictures are not large enough, I can reupload them in a higher resolution. Just let me know!

P.P.S.: Damn it! I just noticed 2 bigs mistakes in the handwritten review... so, just add an "s" to "offer" in the second page and read "I'm sure you have understood" in the stead of "understand" :D

Edited by Shinichiro

Look at my eyes, Faye. One of them is a fake because I lost it in an accident. Since then, I've been seeing the past in one eye and the present in the other. So, I thought I could only see patches of reality, never the whole picture. I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was over...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shinichiro

• Lloyd

• radrianta

• Mr. Sweet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you need to be more enthusiastic. ;)

Congrats. I hope you

l post pictures of the nib.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I have a new Naginati Togi Cross Emperor. I find it hard to get line variation in normal writing. It is broad to extraordinarily broad if you rais or lower the angle. In normal writing I find it difficult to get much line variation. Any suggestions?

I have a new Naginati Togi Cross Emperor. I find it hard to get line variation in normal writing. It is broad to extraordinarily broad if you rais or lower the angle. In normal writing I find it difficult to get much line variation. Any suggestions?

I don't own a Togi Emperor but I can guess how it works, as I've seen the nib and some writting examples of it, thanks to gyasko on this forum. I think it will disappoint you, but I don't think you'll be able to get a lot of line variation with the nib in its normal position by putting more or less pressure on the nib while writting. In normal position, my CCE (Cross Concord Emperor) writes like a fine nib, that's all.

If you're looking for more impressive line variation, I'd suggest you look toward a cursive italic nib maybe, or why not a music...

Best regards,

Shinichiro.

Look at my eyes, Faye. One of them is a fake because I lost it in an accident. Since then, I've been seeing the past in one eye and the present in the other. So, I thought I could only see patches of reality, never the whole picture. I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was over...

I hope you'll post pictures of the nib.

The nib can be seen here. Mine is exactly the same, except it has an "emperor" on top of it, which is a solid gold bar whose aim is to provide better ink flow.

Best regards,

Shinichiro.

Man, those nibs are something else!. Please be kind and publish pics of yours. Also, I fing interesting that some of you find it hard to get line variation in such an expensive pen. So it works like a stub if you get ot vertical but hardly any variation on normal position?

Man, those nibs are something else!. Please be kind and publish pics of yours.

I'll try to get some pictures. Nevertheless, even though photography is another of my passion, I am still using film cameras (Canon A1 and Nikon F4s for those who know) so I'll see what I can do... Besides I don't have any macro lens...

Also, I fing interesting that some of you find it hard to get line variation in such an expensive pen. So it works like a stub if you get ot vertical but hardly any variation on normal position?

That's correct. in normal position, it lays down a fine line (you can check the first paragraph of the handwritten review) but there is absolutely no flexibility and no possibility to get a line variation no matter what you do.

Personally, it doesn't really bother me. That "fine nib" is the best I've ever used, and anyway, that nib shows all its potential when reversed, where you get a nice wet brush-like nib fom medium to very broad, which suits me perfectly and was what I'd been looking for.

Imho, the best to get line variation is a flex or a cursive italic. And if you're above all looking for that, I would not recommend Sailor specialty nibs. Originaly, I was looking for that. That's why when I saw of the CCE performed, althought it has become my favorite pen and is such a joy to use, I have also ordered a VP from Richard Binder with a cursive italic to see what it's like.

Cya around,

Shinichiro.

• 1 month later...

Hey, just thought it might be good if I uploaded a little funny picture ;) Hope you enjoy :D

post-15307-1210888578_thumb.jpg

Hey, just thought it might be good if I uploaded a little funny picture ;) Hope you enjoy :D

post-15307-1210888578_thumb.jpg

Super photo ! :thumbup:

What kind of camera did you use ?

Thx el3ssar! ;) I think you're gonna laugh if I tell you the context of this picture :D This shot was taken in a quiet place 5 minutes walk from the "Parc Floral" at the lunch pause the last friday of the CCP :D I was doing some journaling ^^

It was taken with a Nikon F4s and a 85mm f/1.8 set at 1.8, hence the very tiny dof. The film was a Portra VC 400.

Cya around ;)

Shinichiro.

Great review! Hope you do more.

The handwritten review is particularly informative.

Thanks for the kind words! It is always appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic review! Thank you for taking the time to share it us. :)

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Excellent review, and wonderful pictures. Both make me want to have one of these pens--it's a shape that Sailor uses that little converter.

Thank you, and I hope you enjoy your Concord.

Used as eyedropper (fill ink directly into the rear part of the pen)

you may achieve an ink volume 3.5ml (instead of 0.9ml of converter).

(See this topic)

I got no corrosion issues since two months with PR Chocolate

and Aurora Black inks.

I use this pen/nib with sustained enthusiasm for outdoor

sketching.

@Mannenhitsu

You're welcome ;) I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

@Escribiente

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, the converter is very tiny, but cartridges are better, and personally, I'm ok with filling cartridges, and they allow me to enjoy my pen a lot :) I'm using it everyday ^^ The nib is so wonderful :wub:

@juon

I've seen one of your drawing made with a Zoom nib. It's cool. I can understand why you use your pen as ED ^^

Great review. Loved the handwritten part! :thumbup:

Thx :) Glad you enjoyed it! ^^

• 3 weeks later...

A little picture, just for fun :P

post-15307-1214494043_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

Shinichiro.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Shinichiro for the review of this wonderful pen and nib. And for the photos too. I enjoy being an owner of a Sailor 1911 with a 21K Cross Concord Emperor nib by master nib designer Nobuyoshi Nagahara. The design of the nib indeed is complex and I wouldn't try to tinker with it unless you are a true expert. This is a very versatile nib and excellent writer. I mostly use Noodler's inks to write with a fine line and sign documents with a broader line. I love this pen. :)

Edited by Levatio