Mont Blanc 146-review

goodguy

After a review of my Mb 149 I guess I need to write a review of its smaller sibling the Mont Blanc 146 :hmm1:

These 2 pens looks very much alike but somehow each have its own character.

The MB 146 is more then just a smaller version (but still fairly big) of the MB 149.Somehow it feels different in the hand.

Well I got my MB 146 from the same guy that sold me my MB 149 (and many other wonderful pens I own).

When I got the 146 in the mail it looked like a small 149 but the moment I took it in my hands I knew its a different pen.First it doesn't have the WOW effect that the MB 149 has.Its smaller size I believe makes it easier to people to write with it and again don't think this is a small pen because its not,its a full size pen but not oversize.

The M nib is a single tone nib so I think this pen was made somewhere in the late 70's early 80's.

It was obvious the pen wasn't used for years.I started to flush the pen and after 3 days it still kept spewing ink.I never had a pen with so much dried ink in it.

Well I filled it with ink and must admit the pen wasn't as good as I expect my pens to be.The nib was a bit rough but more then that the pen was just too dry.

so after more cleaning I sent it to my pen tech.All he did was a quick smoothing and some flow adjustments and when I got the pen and inked it I was very happy to see this pen writes as good as I expect all my pens to write.

The nib is glass smooth and leaves a very nice and wet line.I left the pen inked in the cabinet for 2 weeks inked and it started writing as if it was just filled simply and pleasure to use.

I wish I had my Pel M800 still with me so I could compare between the 2 pens.

Anyways the cigar shape is very comfortable.the pen is light weight and well balanced.

It is without a doubt one of my favorite writers and even though it is not as good as my Paragon it is close enough to make me smile.

Its hard for me to compare it to the 149 because in the hand the 2 pens feel very different to me.Both great pens but somehow the 146 looks like it will be easier for some to swallow.

The piston filler works flawlessly and the pens holds a fare amount of ink and just like the 149 the ink-view is a wonderful way to see how much more ink you've got.

I am using the 146 much more then I use the 149 simply because I am not as afraid to it as I am to my queen.I like sticking it in for a day or too every month and always get a kick out of using it.If you want a 146 you can get one used.They go for 200$-250$ and you will get a wonderful writer.

Last line.If you like the Masterpiece pen family I think you must have both pens.

PS-sorry if I stick my cat all the time but he just love my pens and they do picture nicly together :cloud9:

post-2027-1206731237_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1206731260_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1206731279_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1206731308_thumb.jpg

Respect to all

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• Deirdre

• FrankB

• Aslan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for another good review. That cat is very patient.

It really is dificult to qualify how the 149 and 146 are different. When I spoke of my 149's, I indicated that I have nibs sized F to BB. But I did not get a 149 with an EF nib. For me, the large size of the 149 is just too overpowering for an EF nib. For that nib size, I got a 146, and the pen is the right size for me to get maximum benefit from it. I also have a 146 with a BB nib, and it, too, is different from its 149 cousin.

I don't think I will add any more 146's to my pen stable. For the nibs sized F, M and B I prefer my 149's. But the combination of the pen sizes gives me some wonderful options for different types of writing. - For example, I will use the 146 EF to write check information in my check registry, and a 149 M or B nib to write the check. The 146 EF is for the return address on an envelope; the 149 B for the addressee's information. You get the picture.

The 146 EF is for the return address on an envelope; the 149 B for the addressee's information. You get the picture.

Interesting. I never thought of that!

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Had to check back... wanted to be sure the cat would be in this one as well as the 149. Cool. B)

John

Had to check back... wanted to be sure the cat would be in this one as well as the 149. Cool. B)

I'm a softy to cats,kids,pens and lots of other stuff.

Its great when we can combine many different aspects in our life to give it even more meaning.

Respect to all

I have two 146s as well one from the mid 60's-mid 70's and another one from the mid 80's, two very good writers too. Yours about the 146 echo mine. As you said both are true real daily writers and they are both very well made.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I own a pair of 146's too, from the early 90's. These pens might be the ones I've owned the longest. There's a fine and a medium. The medium just came back from a retreat in New Hampshire getting it's nib tweaked and the flow adjusted. Super pens, thanks for doing the review.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

The 146 is the 'affordable' Meisterstuck for those who are not rich. Even so, it ain't a cheapo pen. But I'd rather go for it than for the feminine 144.

The 146 is the 'affordable' Meisterstuck for those who are not rich. Even so, it ain't a cheapo pen. But I'd rather go for it than for the feminine 144.

Hi,

I have a few Montblancs, a 144, and two 146's and they are in fact realy excelente pens.

The 144 is nice and thin, which if you have small hands, great to use daily. One 146 have a OB nib and its from the 80's - very smooth and wet - nice signature pen, and the other is a F Nib from the solitaire colection I purchased new (my most expensive pen) and It's a dream for everyday but capped on the heavy side so I use it un capped.

Cheers,

Miguel