Mont Blanc 149-Review

goodguy

After admiring my queen I mean my MB 149 for so long I have decided its time to write a review on it and share what I think about it.

I got my 149 from a friend in Florida. I was dreaming of this pen for so long and when I asked if he has one right away he said yes.

He asked for a very fair price and after few weeks of impatient wait I got the beauty in the mail.

For those of us that never saw the 149 in real life and never dealt with an oversize pens there in for a shock and so was I.

I never really knew how impressive and bit this pen is.

The affect this pen had on me was overwhelming. As I said I always wanted one but seeing it was an immediate love story.

Some pens I get after dreaming about them and then I am disappointed or not too impressed, with the 149 it was the other way around and since then the pen is always in the front of my collection even before its more glitzy sisters the MB VW and MB Cervantes.

I saw it had a 14c nib and I was a bit disappointed because I thought the 18c nibs are better but after learning the 14c are considered the better nibs I was happy but lets face it both nibs are good no matter what you have. I never had the chance to try an 18c nib but I know from reading other people that they like their 18c nibs.

Well I got a F nib and according to the nib I found this pen is from the 1970’s.

In general the pen is in beautiful condition with minimal usage ware.

The thing I enjoyed the most is how well the cap sits on the barrel. It’s got zero tolerances and it gives the pen very very solid feel.

The solid feel continues when I held the pen in my hand. This pen don’t only look big but it also feels big but surprisingly is very comfortable in the hand and it never felt uncomfortable too big to me.

Well I filled the pen with a simple black Parker quink ink and was surprised how much ink this beast drinks. The piston works nice and smooth even though not as smooth as a Pelikan.

The ink view window is a great tell sign to know when the pen is running low on ink and it is a part of the overall character of the pen.

I put the lovely two tone F nib on the paper and I was very pleased to see the nib is very smooth with just a bit of flex to it. It has nice character to it and you can feel what happened on the paper (an issue that is very important to me).Its a wet writer and altogether a wonderful nib.

As I said the big pen felt natural and after few days of using it at work it felt completely natural in everyday use.

I admit I don’t use the pen everyday but it never failed me and even after a week of no use it started right away and I never even cleaned the pen when I got it.

You don’t have to be a MB fan to appreciate this pen, its both great to look at and admire its design and a good solid everyday writer.

post-2027-1206666450_thumb.jpg

Respect to all

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• georges zaslavsky

• MidnightBlue

• mandarintje

Nice review with awesome pictures, goodguy. I was wondering when your Queen would grace us with her presence in the review section. :)

The 1970's 149's seem to have a higher quality standard than the modern ones, especially in the nib, which feel flexier and nicer. In any case, these pens have character and are worth it if the price is good. I want to find one with a brass piston from the early '90's. :)

This pen could also double as a club or a fire hose. :)

Can't say MB Koenigsblau is my favorite ink, but the bottle is worth it!

Thanks!

Summer Greer

"Can I see Arcturus from where I stand?" -RPW

Thanks for the nice review. As a 149 owner myself, I understand your enjoyment when writing with it.

I got my MB149 in 1977 when in college. It was my first nice fountain pen after using inexpensive Parkers and Sheafers. I used it for years but drifted away from fountain pens. I got it out a few years ago and the piston was stuck to the barrel. I had it repaired by MB but they replaced too many parts and it's lost some of its character but is still my favorite. Now I have discovered the P51 and really like them too.

Rush

I got my MB149 in 1977 when in college. It was my first nice fountain pen after using inexpensive Parkers and Sheafers. I used it for years but drifted away from fountain pens. I got it out a few years ago and the piston was stuck to the barrel. I had it repaired by MB but they replaced too many parts and it's lost some of its character but is still my favorite. Now I have discovered the P51 and really like them too.

Rush

Both the MB 149 and PArker 51 are favorite pens to me.I think both have a very unique and timeless design and of course both make wonderful writers.

Respect to all

Thanks for the review, goodguy. I don't have one yet, but someday.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Thanks for a good review and pics. As a cat lover, I must admit my favorite photo is the kitty giving the "Queen" the evil eye.

I was a MB basher for a long while. In the mid 1990's I was given a very kind gift by a friend and it happened to be a MB 149 with a BB nib. My first response on seeing that huge chunk of pen was an overwhelming desire to hold it. Then I uncapped it and saw that equally huge nib and I just had to write with it. I was hooked. But I frankly expected the resin to shatter or decompose in a short while.

It has been over 12 years since I got that pen, and it shows no signs of decomposition. I love this pen model and I have since acquired three more 149's with F, M and B nibs respectively. These latter three are all used pens from the late 1970's or early 1980's. I got good prices from patient sellers who allowed me to make payments. I use these pens for a wide variety of writing and I have yet to be disappointed with any of them. (However, I do confess that I use them only at home. I still do not trust the resin enough to carry them abroad.)

I love hearing the 149 tales of others.

Love the review. I have been using my MB149 for almost 30 years and it's still the best made, highest quality, most reliable writing pen I own. Yes, I "get bored" with it sometimes and use other pens for a while, but I always come back to it and am reminded of how all the parts and pieces come together for a great writing experience (isn't that what it's all about?).

John

PS: Love the cat, too! Reminds me of our dear cat who passed away a little over a year ago at age 19.

John

Nice review : ) I would quite like an MB 149, as I am definitely a fan of oversize pens. If anybody out there owns a Danitrio Takumi, how does it compare in size, weight, and comfort of prolonged use?

I use these pens for a wide variety of writing and I have yet to be disappointed with any of them. (However, I do confess that I use them only at home. I still do not trust the resin enough to carry them abroad.)

If it helps, I drag around my modern MB 145 everywhere with me -- work, cafe, grocery store, park bench, lobstering ship, Europe -- I even use it on the airplane and subway -- all without problems and without a scratch, so far, on the precious resin.

QM2

Here's mine. I've had it since 1994, and I've brought it to work pretty much every day. The resin has held up perfectly through rigorous use. In fact I can hardly see any scratches on it. I've owned many vintage and modern pens, and the two mentioned as favorites already, the MB 149 and Parker 51, are mine as well for both classic design and functionality.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_5379.jpg

goodguy;

Thanks for the review and for the kitty-n-pen picture. I'm still in the search of one, but fear I may buy a fake in eBay... like I say, if something's destined to be ours, it will show by serendipity. I'm glad that's how you got yours. Enjoy!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Great review, being the owner of three vintage 149s one from the 60's and two from the 70's, I am very pleased to see that your words echo mine about the 149's quality of build and real writing qualities. My last 149 which a 1977 model with a 18k semi flex fine nib is one of the very best writers I own.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 months later...
Here's mine. I've had it since 1994, and I've brought it to work pretty much every day. The resin has held up perfectly through rigorous use. In fact I can hardly see any scratches on it. I've owned many vintage and modern pens, and the two mentioned as favorites already, the MB 149 and Parker 51, are mine as well for both classic design and functionality.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/IMG_5379.jpg

Yet another proof MB special resin is a good resin and not as bad as some like to make it look like.

Respect to all

I couldn't agree more.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I couldn't agree more.

I loveMB's special resin,it feels great to touch it and has a special depth to it other resins doesnt have.

Respect to all

• 1 year later...

All I can say about these Montblanc 149 reviews is: Carrot / Donkey (me being the donkey)

There's no saving me now.

you can never get it wrong, because you can never get it done!

Other than the shape, MB plastic (pens) have no particular special "feel" to them. It's plastic and feels the same as a Visconti or Phileas. Close your eyes and let your fingers tell the story.

Thanks

Excellent review of my favourite pen, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

All I can say about these Montblanc 149 reviews is: Carrot / Donkey (me being the donkey)

There's no saving me now.

Sorry to hear that :crybaby:

Who am I kiding NO I am not sorry :bunny01: GO get yourself a MB 149 :cloud9:

Respect to all