Another Brian Gray Masterpiece

BruceK

When Brian sent out the announcement about his Glenmont model a few weeks back I fell into immediate lust for one of those pens in orange ebonite. Sadly that was not to be as all of those pens had been sold and he didn't have the material to make more. But he did some digging and came up with enough orange swirl ebonite that would be enough to make a pen assuming there were no flaws in the material. He gave it a go and here is the result - one of the most beautiful pens that I've seen and been fortunate enough to own. And the stars were truly with me as during the build process Brian informed me that he didn't think that he'd ever be able to get more of this material, so I guess I'm even more fortunate to have a true one-of-a-kind work of art.

I haven't had a chance yet to write much with it but I have never been disappointed with any of Brian's nibs and expect similar joy from this one.

So here are Brian's photos of the finished product. To me this is what a classic fountain pen should look like. Enjoy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/brucekro/BK_Glenmont1a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/brucekro/BK_Glenmont1b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/brucekro/BK_Glenmont1c.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BruceK

• AJP

• bgray

• Aslan

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks really sweet.

I'm waiting on two Glenmonts from Brian. I was able to snag one in orange ebonite and the only one in mustard ripple. Sorry, they were just to nice looking I had to hoard them for myself.

:cloud9:

I got one (of three available) in solid Aqua ebonite.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I'm the third orange ebonite guy. My Glenmont is somewhere between Brian and me right now. Hmmmm. I think I'll go by the Post Office on the way home...

John

John

Congratulations. That is a fine looking pen. I count only two pieces of hardware, the clip and a ring between the section and barrel. This is really nice as it punches out the beauty of the materials and the great polishing that was done.

Congratulations. That is a fine looking pen. I count only two pieces of hardware, the clip and a ring between the section and barrel. This is really nice as it punches out the beauty of the materials and the great polishing that was done.

But what about the black cap lip is that metal or ebonite?

Kurt

Kurt

Brian would obviously know more than I but it seems like it's ebonite to me.

Kurt

I assume you mean the black centerband? It's not ebonite. It's delrin (plastic).

Certainly a beautiful pen! Congratulations!

I have a Waterman Liaison in Orange Ebonite and it is a mesmerizing material.

--Roy

Congratulations on owning a beautiful pen! Brian does great work and it shows in pieces like that.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” - Robert McClosky

A very nice pen indeed. I'm waiting for the green ripple ebonite to arrive in the mail from Brian. Can't hardly wait for the Glenmont to arrive, especially after seeing those pictures.

I received my orange ebonite Glenmont on Tuesday; I was one of the fortunate three to snag the orange ebonite. This is one imposing pen; I have it in my pen box along with my Pelikan M800, Parker Duofold Centennial, Bexley Fifth Anniversary in BCHR, Bexley Americana, Bexley Sheherazade, Omas Guilloche, Stipula Saturno and Sailor ribbed Naginata-Togi and it dominates due to its colour and presence. I went whole hog with this pen and ordered it with a black ebonite section and 14k Bock nib. Capped it's about six inches long, which makes it the longest pen I own. Uncapped, however, it's the same length as my Pelikan M800. It feels warm and well-balanced in my hand and is a dream to write with; Brian set up the Bock nib perfectly for me. The workmanship is flawless and the pen radiates tactile and visual beauty. I'll be writing a more extensive review in the near future.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

A very beautiful pen, your lucky to have snagged it. Thanks for sharing it with us, enjoy.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

A lovely pen ...however, I do question the description as 'orange'. If I ever had an orange that colour Id asume it was fit only for the bin ;)

Looks more Brown in the photos..... am I not seeing it right?

"Orange", to me is more like the Delta Dolce Vita..... or perhaps, more like ..an orange? :D

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

A lovely pen ...however, I do question the description as 'orange'. If I ever had an orange that colour Id asume it was fit only for the bin ;)

Looks more Brown in the photos..... am I not seeing it right?

"Orange", to me is more like the Delta Dolce Vita..... or perhaps, more like ..an orange? :D

It's definitely not a bright orange like my VP. But I'd still call it orange. Maybe "burnt orange"? :huh: