Conway Stewart Wellington, Binder 0.7 c.i.

rogerb

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/rogerb40uk/FebMar08009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/rogerb40uk/FebMar08013.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/rogerb40uk/WellingtonReview.jpg

Thanks for looking (and reading...if you could :) )

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerb

• CharlieB

• girlieg33k

• Shelley

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review and beautiful pen. I have the same coloration in a Dandy model.

Hey, maybe the buldge is an added feature: CS just some added room should your nib gain some weight in upcoming years...smile.

My best,

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

The Wellington is such a beautiful pen, especially in that colour. Mine proved to be too heavy for me to use. :crybaby:

By the way, the Herbin ink for your writing sample looks wonderful. I have a bottle of the same ink and it does not appear that dark. Perhaps it's all in the magic of a nib from Richard Binder. :)

Edited by girlieg33k

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

Another great review Roger, thanks.

If my handwriting was as good as yours I'd use e-mail a lot less...

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

That ink looks wonderful-i usually find the Hebrins a little "washedout" but that looks stunning!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Roger,

Nicely done. Very informative. Beautiful pen and handwriting.

Thanks,

John

John

Thanks for the kind remarks.

I asked for a 7/10 'wetness factor' which probably accounts for the apparent darkness of the lines....... it certainly doesn't look much like myosotis (forget-me-not) colour, does it! (Do you have that flower in the USA?)

I must try it sometime in my Pelikan which has a similar nib, but in steel, and seems to write a little drier (that currently has Herbin Cyclamen in it, a very pretty colour).

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

I'll bet that pen would look nice with some Diamine Saddle Brown in it!

A pen just like yours arrived in my mail today. The only difference is that mine has the Conway Stewart factory italic fine (IF) nib rather than the Binderized version that you have. I haven't inked it yet. When I do, I'll ink it with Waterman Havana Brown.

In looking at the pen, it is somewhat similar in color to my amber Stipula Etruria, but the Wellington has more of a translucent "glow" than does the Etruria, probably due to clear particles in the resin. The other feature that makes it especially nice is the absence of black plastic end pieces. Conway Stewart was smart to make the Wellington's end pieces from the same resin as the cap and barrel. Finally, I'm so thankful that the trims are gold rather than the ever-present rhodium that seems to grace 80 percent of all pens produced in the last 2-3 years.

It is indeed a heavier pen than the Churchill, the Duro, and the 100, but I like heavier pens. (Hey! I collect metal pens like Sheaffers and Duponts.) I agree with you that the bulge in the cap is a bit disconcerting at first, but after staring at it for an hour, I think I like it. If you look closely, the cap has a coke bottle shape. What you call the bulge is the shoulders/chest. Then there is an indented waist, widening slightly to form hips where the two cap bands form a belt.

Edited by CharlieB

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

I'll bet that pen would look nice with some Diamine Saddle Brown in it!

A pen just like yours arrived in my mail today. The only difference is that mine has the Conway Stewart factory italic fine (IF) nib rather than the Binderized version that you have.

The Wellington matches well with Diamine Saddle Brown and Sienna Brown. It also matches well with Sailor Red-Brown and of course Waterman Havana Brown.

P.S. I also understand that any Conway Stewart pen ordered from Richard Binder, even though it has a CS factory italic fine nib, is still considered "Binderized" -- though it did not get a customized regrind. :)

Edit: Added P.S.

Edited by girlieg33k

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

Update on my earlier post: I've inked the pen with Havana Brown, and it writes WONDERFULLY. The factory IF nib, probably smoothed by Richard Binder, writes like a dream. This is one nice pen! I'm already wondering if I should add the Classic Green version of this pen to my Want List... perhaps with a different nib for variety.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

I don't have any Browns..... nearest is Tulipe Noire!.... special inks aren't easy to get in Spain, although Herbins are quite reasonable, 3 (small)botts for Euros 17.70, about $27 ?, delivered worldwide, by penandco.com !

I like Herbin colours...not as 'pastel' as they seem, in my 'wet' pens, and very 'well-behaved', I believe. (Must look for their brownest Brown!)

Edited by rogerb

Don Marquis

Good job on the review! As long as I can read them, I love handwritten reviews. Your's was perfect.

I like CS pens, both vintage and new, almost as much as Italian pens. I just got a classic brown Duro button fill back from Richard a couple of weeks ago that now has a 0.7 cursive italic. This pen was a tough nut to crack and a trip back to the factory didn't help any. Richard got it going.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!