Waterman Edson-review

goodguy

My Waterman Edson-Oh how I love thee.

My Edson is a pen I was dreaming of from the moment I saw it at the first Toronto pen show I attended. It was love at first site.

This is a pen you see and just stop to look at. I remember looking at the pen with big eyes telling myself I got to have it.

Well it took few years but eventually I got the money and I bid on it on eBay and won it for 395$.I was running impatiently to the mail box every day to get it.

When eventually I got the pen I ran home tore the wrapping as fast as I could and the first thing I saw was the blue box. Now th pen was supposed to be mint but the box was definitely NOT mint. It was obviously used and with a trembling heart I opened the box.

The pen of my dreams was lying in there and I was shocked to see it had white scratches on its beautiful blue sapphire body. I can’t tell you haw disappointed and mad I was, is thins mint? I thought to myself.

Well disappointed I took the pen out and to my relief the white scratches felt rough.

I tried to rub it off with my finger and to my surprise and joy the white stuff came off very easily. Oh thank god I told myself, its not a scratch only some white material that was stuck to the body.

After getting the white stuff of the pen I was left with what I looking for a Waterman Edson in a Mint/near Mint condition.

Ah that was much better, I looked at the pen with a beating heart and bay oh bay this pen is BEAUTIFUL. Waterman designed a non LE pen in a LE quality.

Its blue body looks like you are looking into a deep blue lake,it has a very calming effect and to me somehow looks like it has magical depth to it.

It is smooth to the touch and I hope is doesn’t scratch easily because that would be a real shame.

The GF cap has a very bold design, it feels as if Waterman put more gold on this cap then usual. The gold filling isn’t smooth with a matt finish. I find this to complement the smooth blue body perfectly.

Taking of the cap and in front of you is one of the most beautiful nibs ever produced and that’s not an over statement. This is breathtaking!!!

It looks like an inlaid nib but it really isn’t so. I believe the pictures will do more justice to this nib then my description in my limited knowledge of the English language.

I unscred the barrel and there is a blue converter in there.Now that’s a nice added touch to the overall experience of the pen.

I quickly filled the pen and impatiently put the F 18K nib on the paper.

The smoothness of this nib is second to non.Its as there is a little diamond at the edge of the nib. The amount of feedback is amazing. The nib is a great writer as its beautiful.

It is just a little bit dry for my taste but that’s not a big issue and anyways every good pen tech can adjust this easily.

This is hands down the stiffest nib I ever felt. For those who like stiff nibs this is a must, it’s a true nail but somehow to this pen its looks perfect.

This is a metal pen so it is not light weight but I don’t find it to be overly heavy .It is also a very long pen stretching over 15cm.This is a true oversize pen for sure, it also feels quite thick in the hand so I would suggest to people with very small fingers to try this pen first before you order it.

The overall quality of this pen is excellent and it feels as Waterman put a lot of effort to make you know that. Everything is tight, feels very very solid and pleasant to touch.

The pen is also nicely balanced with almost 50/50 weight distribution.

Bottom line

This is one of my favorite pens!!!

Waterman showed me they still remember how to make amazing pens and I tip my hat to them for making such a fine writing instrument and bringing me so much joy.

I hope they will continue to make this pen for many more years.

It is well worth its price and I think it’s a must to anyone that like oversize pens or for people that want to own a true writer that also looks like a million dollars.

post-2027-1203775706_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1203775716_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1203775742_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1203775750_thumb.jpg

Respect to all

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• TheNobleSavage

• georges zaslavsky

• Pen Nut

I KNEW we'd get you hooked on Watermans eventually. :roflmho:

I'm talking from total ignorance here - but I've never been that impressed by any Waterman pen. The inks on the other hand ...

It's the writing experience. They require holding and using to appreciate. If I lived closer, I'd loan you a Carene.

Hey goodguy, I'm happy you got the pen. You've confessed your desire for one in more than one post and now it's here. And it sounds like it fills your expectations of it. I've said before I like reading you're reviews and your posts in general. This one is no exception, you have an infectious enthusiasm for all things fountain pen. I hope I don't see the beginning of the end of your love of Montblanc, someone has to carry that torch. :lol: Enjoy your new pen!

Any chance of a photo or two of your Edson beside a Montblanc...say a 146 or 149...for a visual size comparison?

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Hey goodguy, I'm happy you got the pen. You've confessed your desire for one in more than one post and now it's here. And it sounds like it fills your expectations of it. I've said before I like reading you're reviews and your posts in general. This one is no exception, you have an infectious enthusiasm for all things fountain pen. I hope I don't see the beginning of the end of your love of Montblanc, someone has to carry that torch. :lol: Enjoy your new pen!

Any chance of a photo or two of your Edson beside a Montblanc...say a 146 or 149...for a visual size comparison?

First I need to explain something that wasnt exactly understood in my review.I got the pen close to 2 years ago.So its not new in my collection but after reading my review again it does seam as if I just got it.

I love the Edson even more then I did the first time I saw it simply because it truly is an amazing pen in both its design and as a writer.

Mont Blanc pens will alwyas be my favorite but as I said many times befoe it doesnt mean I cant like other pens as well.

Next month I will get a nice Visconti pen and after that a Parker Maxima so MB is just a part of my pens passion (even though its my biggest love).

Respect to all

The Edson is indeed a very unique and wonderful pen. Sometimes I think mine is beautiful, and other times I think it is just plain funny looking! Kudos to Waterman for coming up with such an original design. Using the color blue as the default color for these pens was also a stroke of genius. I know of no other color that could achieve the same effects as the cobalt blue color does on these pens. Now, if only Florida Blue ink were a tad darker, it would be a perfect match for the Edson....

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Goodguy !

Great review mate..... You know how I rave about Edsons and I sense you have a passion for them as well.

Anyway the Majesty went (You should have bought it!!) and a new arrival has landed and guess what? I actually like it!

Its a MontBlanc 147 traveller but in vermeil. I have the standard 147 but the deep yellow ish finish on the vermeil version is really something.

Post a couple of pics when I get a chance.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Goodguy !

Great review mate..... You know how I rave about Edsons and I sense you have a passion for them as well.

Anyway the Majesty went (You should have bought it!!) and a new arrival has landed and guess what? I actually like it!

Its a MontBlanc 147 traveller but in vermeil. I have the standard 147 but the deep yellow ish finish on the vermeil version is really something.

Post a couple of pics when I get a chance.

Thanks for the kind words.

Sorry to see the Majesty go but I have no money for pens at the moment.

The 147 is an interesting pen but I must admit I am a big fan of piston fillers.In any case congrats for the pen and I wait for a review with pictures.

Respect to all

Your wish is my comand

post-2027-1203865469_thumb.jpg

Respect to all

I tried many Edsons but their nibs just don't do it for me I consider them as far inferior to the 149 , Pelikan M1000 and Omas Paragon nibs. Writing with an Edson is like writing with a pitchfork for me. It costs nearly 700 euros new and nearly 520 euros used here in France. Too expensive. Anyway enjoy your pen.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I tried many Edsons but their nibs just don't do it for me I consider them as far inferior to the 149 , Pelikan M1000 and Omas Paragon nibs. Writing with an Edson is like writing with a pitchfork for me. It costs nearly 700 euros new and nearly 520 euros used here in France. Too expensive. Anyway enjoy your pen.

I cant really compare the Edson's nib to any other nib because I find it to have a very different feeling.I find the nail like feeling to be unique and great but hey everybody is different and what might be good for one might not be good for the other.

Dont worry though I love the Edson but the 149 is still my queen :cloud9:

Respect to all

It's the writing experience. They require holding and using to appreciate. If I lived closer, I'd loan you a Carene.

I need to add that even though Waterman usualy isnt very high on my want list I think that out of the 3 BIG past makers (Parker,Sheaffer,Waterman) Waterman today have the best pens and I enjoy seeing them especialy the Edson and Serenite.

Respect to all

I have all 4 of the pens you describe and I really have to disagree about your thoughts that the nibs are inferior to a Montblanc, OMAS and Pelikan nibs. I agree that the Edson nibs are stiff, hell, its like writing with a nail!! Anyways, Waterman makes no illusions that they are an unflexible nib, unless you are Levenger, they basically say every nib is flexible!!!

I love my Edson and it is perfect for my style of writing since I am heavy handed. Mine is a factory stub and it is what a stub is supposed to do for me!!! It is all personal preference, thats for sure!!! Each one of the pens you listed are different in their own right and it is quite unfair to compare them alike, becasue they are not. It is like comparing apples and oranges because they are just so different from each other and nowhere near the same nib style or design.

I think the quality is as good as the Pelikan, MB and OMAS nibs, in fact 2 out of the 3 nibs are made by the same nib company. Anyways I find that the quality is excellent on the Edson nibs, its just a different nib all together, if you know what I mean. the nib on the edson is heavier and denser than the MB, Pelikan and OMAS nibs. The Edson is not a traditional fountain pen nib like the others on the market. I think that is why some people just dont like them or take to them. They are just not used to such a stiff nib, in fact it took me some time to get used to this kind of nib compared to a traditional nib. The stiffness of the Edson nib is very simimlar to the old sheaffer triumph conical nib. Some love them and others do not.

I am not jumping on you, I am just trying to give you my thoughts on the Edson nib in contrast to yours.

Have a Great Weekend

TNS

Edited by The Noble Savage

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Interesting how personal views differ.

Out of my main 'hit list' which included MB 149's,146's and 144's,Conway Stewart Westminster in Vermeil,Pelikan Majesty,Parker Duofold, Y-O-L Viceroy Grand in Victorian finish, a couple of Iltalian 'nightmares' and two Edsons, one standard fine nib and one OGB....... nothing hits the mark or comes close to my ideal fp like the Edson.

The search does still go on but the Edson has lifted the bar higher than the others can achieve in my opinion.

wow ! I am big today !!

Edited by Pen Nut

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Goodguy,

Great review and I am glad you are enjoying yours!!! As you already know, I own one and I love mine!! It is constantly in rotation and has been since I bought it over 2 years ago. This is a record for me!!! I dont have a pen in my collection that I have had this long in rotation. In fact, I have to make it a point to clean the pen every 3 weeks because I never take it out of rotation. Normally, when I am done with a pen that was in my rotation, I will completely clean it out, inside and out and make sure it is completely dry but cleaning is the most important thing. This include polishing the metal (non abrasives) and using a bit museum wax and polishing the barrel/section and the rest of the pen. I do this before I put the pen to rest. Who knows how long it will be in my pen chest before I decided that I want to use the pen again. At least I know that when I do pull the pen out of storage, it will be 100% ready for me to use!!!

Getting back to my Edson, I have to make it a point to clean it on a regular basis because it always has ink in it due to it being used constantly over the past 2 years and change!!!!

My Pops love the Edson and has always wanted one, even longer than I did. When he finally had a chance to use mine, the deal was sealed!! It was just a matter of the best price before he would buy it!! Indeed he did buy one at a great price at the LA pen show this year. The same color as your and mine. The cool looking sapphire blue color. I really love the other colors that are out there, the Ruby red and the Emerald green. They are becoming harder and harder to find, thats for sure!!!

Anyways, great review and thanks for contributing!!!!

Best Wishes

TNS

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

:roflmho: Some pitchfork! :roflmho:

No way is the Edson inferior to any of the pens you mentioned. It's right up there with all of them, and it's worth the money.

One of the main drawbacks about the Edsons and the higher tier Waterman pens are the price. They are an expensive pen, thats without a doubt!!! I am glad I bought mine used because I dont think I would have ever bought one brand spankin' new!!! Regardless, after buying mine and using it, I have to agree with you that they ARE worth the money and ARE every bit as good as ANY other nib on the market. Indeed they are unique and not for everyone but then again neither is an ultra flex nib, stub/italic or any other nib out there!!

TNS

:roflmho: Some pitchfork! :roflmho:

No way is the Edson inferior to any of the pens you mentioned. It's right up there with all of them, and it's worth the money.

Edited by The Noble Savage

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Goodguy,

Great review and I am glad you are enjoying yours!!! As you already know, I own one and I love mine!! It is constantly in rotation and has been since I bought it over 2 years ago. This is a record for me!!! I dont have a pen in my collection that I have had this long in rotation. In fact, I have to make it a point to clean the pen every 3 weeks because I never take it out of rotation. Normally, when I am done with a pen that was in my rotation, I will completely clean it out, inside and out and make sure it is completely dry but cleaning is the most important thing. This include polishing the metal (non abrasives) and using a bit museum wax and polishing the barrel/section and the rest of the pen. I do this before I put the pen to rest. Who knows how long it will be in my pen chest before I decided that I want to use the pen again. At least I know that when I do pull the pen out of storage, it will be 100% ready for me to use!!!

Getting back to my Edson, I have to make it a point to clean it on a regular basis because it always has ink in it due to it being used constantly over the past 2 years and change!!!!

My Pops love the Edson and has always wanted one, even longer than I did. When he finally had a chance to use mine, the deal was sealed!! It was just a matter of the best price before he would buy it!! Indeed he did buy one at a great price at the LA pen show this year. The same color as your and mine. The cool looking sapphire blue color. I really love the other colors that are out there, the Ruby red and the Emerald green. They are becoming harder and harder to find, thats for sure!!!

Anyways, great review and thanks for contributing!!!!

Best Wishes

TNS

Hi Noble Savage

I see for a while we have few pens in common.

In many ways we share the same taste (I dont know yet whats your take on MB pens).

While looking around for pens I own I read some of your reviews and I enjoyed them a lot like the Copernicus and many others.

It is very important for me to write a review on every new pen I get because its important for other people to have as much info on pens before they go out and buy it.I also enjoy sharing my joy with other and reading there feedbacks.I believe it inriches me and teaches me a lot.

Respect to all

Greetings Goodguy,

I do like Montblanc Pens, in fact I own 4 of them and my wife owns 2.

I have 2 149's and 1 146

I also have the Alexandre Dumas FP.

The Alexandre Dumas is the only modern MB that I own.

The 149's and 146 that I own are made in the 1970's or very early 1980's. So I cannot comment on the newer Meisterstuck models.

I think that MB has a bad rap, some are true and others are well, not so true. Just MB has been around for a while and in the past 30 years or so has become a real luxury item. So whenever someone thinks of a good FP, the first thing that comes to mind is MB. Just like watches, people think of rolex.

Indeed, MB is very contraversial among collectors. I guess thats why there is a dedicated forum in FPN :thumbup:

TNS

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews