Stipula Etruria de Architectura

AKAGodSent

So, I asked for some suggestions on a new pen in the area of $400. I received a lot of replies and went to Altman Luggage ready to try a few pens out. I told the salesman, who knows me well enough at this point, that I needed something in the 400 dollar range. Fastforward 3 minutes he comes out of the back with boxes of Limited Edition Delta's, etc. I look over quite a few pens and try out the Edson before he brings over two Stipula LE's, both are Stipula Etruria de Architectura except one is cracked ice and one is black. For some reason I liked the black more. He was going to offer me the set, FP and rollerball, for $500 but I stuck to my guns and said no more than $400! So after trying it out, I decided I liked it more than the Edson and would purchase it for $250 :). So, here it is in all its glory:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0823.jpg

The box it comes in is the same as other Stipula's so I saw no need to take pictures of it as I already did in my review of the Da Vinci Infinity (which I am trying to sell at the moment, so any takers??) :D. The pen itself is all black aside from the cap and a ring on the bottom. To ME personally the 'colorful' stuff you see reminds me of a coral reef. I have number 51 out of 193 by the way. It's a nice pen to hold, not too small (the aurora is a bit smaller) not big at all, as you can see the Visconti and Pencraft Herald are both bigger (see picture further down). It's a NICE pen, it isn't extravagant, it isn't something oh so special, but it's something that can undoubtedly be a conversation piece. And it's not THAT expensive that you can't take it out of the house every now and then.

The Nib:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0824.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0826.jpg

It's a nice 14k white gold nib which is quite smooth and puts down a pretty fine line although this is a Medium nib. I would compare it favorably to my Cross Compact (although the new Visconti Divine Proportion is rivaling it as my best writer :)). It has a little flex to it, but mind you very little. The M nib is just a bit wider than my Cross Compact's fine nib. But I'd say that the Visconti, Stipula, and the Cross have a similarity in them that they both give you the slightest bit of feedback and you can more so HEAR yourself write than feel it. The ONLY pen I have thus far that glides without you feeling or hearing much of anything is the Perchin MP5.

In terms of overall pen size:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0827.jpg

Here we have the Sailor 1911, Stipula, Aurora 88, Visconti, and one of Brian's creations :)

Writing sample:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0828.jpg

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AKAGodSent

• Rapt

• scogre

• asexton

I like Gaudi and I like this pen but assumed it would be more expensive than that!

Its certainly got character.

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

Very intriguing! I had not heard of this model before. The server at my work blocks your pictures, so I Googled this model and got a look at what you called the colorful stuff. That is kind of neat looking! I also looked at the cracked ice one. This pen is a cartridge/converter model, right? Is it smaller than a full size piston Etruria? Was the cracked ice one the same price? I may have to get contact information from you, as I really like the look of that cracked ice model! Nice purchase!

Scott.

I like this pen a lot Yan.

I dont know why but I like black pens as writers and colourful pens just to sit in the collection.Even though I'd go with the Edson I think for the price you got yourself a winner.

Enjoy :thumbup:

Respect to all

Very intriguing! I had not heard of this model before. The server at my work blocks your pictures, so I Googled this model and got a look at what you called the colorful stuff. That is kind of neat looking! I also looked at the cracked ice one. This pen is a cartridge/converter model, right? Is it smaller than a full size piston Etruria? Was the cracked ice one the same price? I may have to get contact information from you, as I really like the look of that cracked ice model! Nice purchase!

Scott.

The cracked ice was available when I was there. I'd be happy to give you Altman's number and whom you should speak to! It was being offered to me for the same price but I cannot comment on a 'full size piston Etruria' as I'm not familiar with it. Hopefully if you can get home you'll see how its size measures up to others I've shown it along side.

I like Gaudi and I like this pen but assumed it would be more expensive than that!

It most definitely costs more, but these were the last two that Altman had on hand and I think he offered them to me for an excellent price as I'm practically 'well known' there by now :)

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

It most definitely costs more, but these were the last two that Altman had on hand and I think he offered them to me for an excellent price as I'm practically 'well known' there by now :)

That was assumed in the deal you got... But still!

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

I have heard that these pens are the same size as the piston-fill version of the Etruria, but I haven't been able to do a side by side comparison, as Fahrney's only carries the c/c version of the Etruria. The Gaudi that I saw was the same size as the c/c Etruria. Does anyone know if the piston-filler is larger?

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

interesting pen ;) enjoy it

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

There are two different versions of the Stipula Etruria de Architectura:

-- Gaudi Casa Batllo (shown in this review)

-- Gaudi Pedrera (cracked ice colour)

I have the Gaudi Pedrera. Both versions are available only w/ 14K nibs w/ c/c fillers. Both are made of resin, not celluloid. As far as size, they are identical to current production Etrurias (both PFs and c/c versions), meaning: 5.5" capped and 6.5" posted. Wim will likely chime in to correct me on these details (as he usually does) if I'm mistaken.

Edit: Timeout error! Time to log-off then...

Edited by girlieg33k

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

• 1 month later...

I saw the Stipula Gaudi Casa Batllo and fell in love with it immediately. I've been looking to purchase a Gaudi themed fountain pen for quite some time. ACME's Gaudi pen was a bit too cartoonish for me. Pelikan has one that's very expensive and not readily available in the market place, although it too is a beautiful writing instrument. But the Casa Batallo by Stipula looked like an instant classic. I've visited Barcelona where I saw Gaudi's architecture in person. Funny, I had not cared for his work in my youth. But seeing his work in person and having read his biography, I gained an appreciation for his work.

Today I purchased The Casa Batllo in black with silver and enamel trim numbered 79/193. It's a beautiful pen and I got it for a very reasonable price, $350 (List price $510 USD). I also had a fifty dollar gift certificate so I only paid $300 for it.

To those of you who like this pen from based on the photos, I would suggest you purchase it soon, as some dealers are already sold out.

Jake

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered the cracked ice Gaudi today with a 1.1 italic nib. This pen will definitely have a special place in my heart. It is my first Stipula, my first Etruria, my first pen in cracked ice resin (I personally wish more pens had it), and my first italic nib. I cannot wait until it comes in, and then I can do a review of it.

-Cody

Acme The Simpsons Rollerballs

Chatterly Pens Romulus - Stub

Classic Pens LM1 - Flame Red - Stub

Krone Boulder - Thunderbird - B

Levenger True Writer - Gold Obsidian - F

Namiki/Pilot VP - Yellow - M

Omas Paragon - Arco old style

Pelikan M250 - Demonstrator - M

Stipula Etruria - Cracked Ice Gaudi - 1.1 Italic

Visconti Divine Proportion - Silver trim - M

Visconti Opera Club - Typhoon Blue - M