OMAS Arco Bronze Paragon HT

helian

I've tried two. Here's the second one, right out of the box.... The first one had pitted plating on one side of the clip and a "bald spot" in the plating on the other side. Enough said, I guess.

Doh!

I won't mind the tarnish (which is coming back) much. It's just the metal reacting naturally to the environment, whereas rubbed-off plating seems more like a flaw. Maybe the tarnish was anticipated by the design, like the glow formed on the Lamy 2000 by years of handling. (If you have an old and well-used 2000, look at it next to a new one sometime!) Silver tarnish does seem to form whorls, blobs, and streaks similar to those in the Arco celluloid. Presumably after a few months of use the celluloid will be duller, so the facets won't scintillate so much as I write, making the pen less loud. With this design one could even choose scintillation lite by polishing only two or three of the facets after usage wear has dulled the barrel. The pleasure of using it and the things it does to my handwriting make it worth taking out in public even at the risk of being mistaken for a pimp or an archbishop. Leaving the cap off hides much of the bling. Anyway it seems designed to age into something more understated (whereas the 2000 becomes shinier with time).

To conclude my review I'll add that the balance of this pen contributes a lot to the pleasure of writing with it. When capped it rests in the crook of my hand just so: the tip touches the paper weightlessly, so that writing with it has an ultralight, Ouija sort of feel. One penultimate thing: it doesn't post all that firmly, so you might think twice if you're considering it for use on amusement park rides. Finally, the facets of the filling knob don't align with those of the barrel. They pretty clearly are meant to, being cut to match up with the celluloid grain of the barrel, but on my pen, getting the knob to line up would require giving it one more very hard twist of a degree or two of arc, if it would line up at all--harder than seems right and harder than I'm willing to try. This would probably bother some people; they are entitled to pickiness and probably shouldn't buy online. I had no choice after the only pen store in my city (that I know of) ended its relationship with OMAS because of too many returns. (With signs like that I'd have given up on this model several times before now, if it were not the most beautiful pen I've ever seen.)

Two new pictures, one that shows one whole arc of the Arco pattern and one comparing size with my other pens, all familiar models. Yes, it's truly huge. It's also my new favorite pen, now that I've written many pages with it. I'm already deciding which pens to liquidate to rationalize another ABP in extra-fine. (If you are a seeker of Pelikan's first and still loveliest limited edition, don't get excited -- that was a gift and isn't a candidate for sale.)

post-11984-1204056445_thumb.jpg

post-11984-1204056480_thumb.jpg

post-11984-1205363956_thumb.jpg

post-11984-1205364015_thumb.jpg

Edited by MYU

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• helian

• handlebar

• omasfan

• Tsujigiri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm quite frankly shocked that, given the far-too-high price of this pen, that there was no quality control! :unsure: I think you've had especially bad luck, but it is still disconcerting...

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

It was to be a gift-to-self for passing the bar.... a symbol of a major life event and heirloom for my nephew or somebody, or I'd never think of spending so much money for a pen. Disappointing luxury products are a good problem to have. The guy with no hands is the unlucky one! I do wish I'd read around a little before buying into OMAS, though.

It was to be a gift-to-self for passing the bar.... a symbol of a major life event and heirloom for my nephew or somebody, or I'd never think of spending so much money for a pen. Disappointing luxury products are a good problem to have. The guy with no hands is the unlucky one! I do wish I'd read around a little before buying into OMAS, though.

I feel for you! The nice thing is that you can send it back and they will replace it. But it doesn't augur well for the brand!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

Tough to tell from the pictures, but isn't that just tarnish? The section is sterling silver, after all. Don't give up on OMAS; I've had seven and each was perfect out of the box. I had an issue with thin HT plating, but only on one pen.

Since this is a review, have you written with the pen?

Best,

David

Edited by cellulophile

tarnish?

That's what the dealer said, and I've decided to wait for the special cloth I was offered to remove it. I thought that I had read that this pen had rhodium plated trim, and the section doesn't look different in lustre or color from the rest of the trim, so tarnish didn't occur to me--I assumed the section was rhodium-plated to match the trim. I did rub with my thumb to no avail.

I just dipped it--just like the first one, it has a perfectly smooth feel, writes on its own weight, can do those long sideways pen-testing figures 8 at top speed. I may just go ahead and fill it up. If I can't get over how beautiful it is and decide to go all the way, maybe I'll write another review. They are right who wrote that photographs don't do this celluloid justice.

How dissapointing.I love Omas pens and I would expect from an 800$ pen to look like a million dollar and have the best quality imginable.

Respect to all

I've tried two. Here's the second one, right out of the box.... The first one had pitted plating on one side of the clip and a "bald spot" in the plating on the other side. Enough said, I guess.

Doh!

Is it "925" engraved in th section? If so, it's probably silver tarnishing. That's the nature of silver; no big deal.

Nevertheless, be careful with silver polishing products (including that omas cloth), because celluloid and chemicals are not a good match.

IME, the best and safest way to keep silver looking nice is constant use and finger wear; use polishing products sparingly.

First, major congratulations on passing a bar exam!

Sorry to see that this is how your new Omas pen arrived. I had one pen arrive like this (not an Omas; it was a Stipula) -- but it was a NOS pen that was out of production. I picked up the phone to let the online retailer know the condition of the pen when it arrived. The store at first offered to send a new one, then realized it was their last one. They asked that I try to clean it up myself. I told them I'd do so, but that they ought to at least inspect their pens before they ship them out. The tarnish or whatever it was came off with some Simichrome polish -- but this is something the retailer should have done before shipping the pen out. As a result, I've never purchased another pen from that authorized dealer nor would recommend them either. As I noted, the pen was a NOS out of production model. On a current production pen, this is truly surprising and disappointing. I hope whatever it is comes off with some polish and that it does not reoccur.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

There is a logical explaination for this -

The section on your pen has just realised, in disgust, that is it a metal section. The shame of a metal section when perched above all that delicious celluloid must have been quite unbearable and it has tried to simulate the brownish tones of the barrel.

It just looks like tarnish - likey to be caused by gassing off of the feed/inner section. A jewelers cloth will take it off in seconds. (IMO that is)

I agree that the section is just tarnished. I thought you were complaining about the plating on the nib going "outside the lines" -- maybe it's just a reflection in the photo.

Mike

Ditto as above. I had a Visconti that tarnished a wee bit and the said cloth did it.No polishing compound needed.Never have had another problem since.

The Arco is indeed one of THE most beautiful celluloid pens on the market.

But that said,never should a pen leave a dealer like that. A crying shame.

Jim

The pen polishing cloth in my repair kit has removed the tarnish, and I have filled and am enjoying the beautiful Paragon. Next day off I'll go out somewhere with something to write and be seen and fancy. I stuck it in the breast pocket of my navy blue suit, where it looks as smart as einstein.... Will it convert me from suit-hater to fop? Maybe I'll have to just find a comfortable leisure suit in easy-fit navy blue polyester, just for carrying the pen.

The dealer probably leaves the pens shrink-wrapped as an assurance that they aren't returns, refurbishes, or what-not. The price was close enough to list that I wasn't suspicious, and I'd have preferred careful inspection. If anything can seem silly in the context of a pen that costs hundreds of dollars, it's sending it to a customer without glancing at it first. It could have been an empty box, mislabeled for nib size, or who knows what. All's well now, though. Thanks to all who gave tips. This is the first silver object I've owned, and I'll be better informed about storing it and such now, and aware that I can't tell the shine of silver from the refulgence of rhodium.

The pen polishing cloth in my repair kit has removed the tarnish, and I have filled and am enjoying the beautiful Paragon. Next day off I'll go out somewhere with something to write and be seen and fancy. I stuck it in the breast pocket of my navy blue suit, where it looks as smart as einstein.... Will it convert me from suit-hater to fop? Maybe I'll have to just find a comfortable leisure suit in easy-fit navy blue polyester, just for carrying the pen.

The dealer probably leaves the pens shrink-wrapped as an assurance that they aren't returns, refurbishes, or what-not. The price was close enough to list that I wasn't suspicious, and I'd have preferred careful inspection. If anything can seem silly in the context of a pen that costs hundreds of dollars, it's sending it to a customer without glancing at it first. It could have been an empty box, mislabeled for nib size, or who knows what. All's well now, though. Thanks to all who gave tips. This is the first silver object I've owned, and I'll be better informed about storing it and such now, and aware that I can't tell the shine of silver from the refulgence of rhodium.

Glad it worked out for you. I agree that this is something the seller should have caught. Thankfully, it was a problem easily solved. Enjoy your pen,

David

I saw your post late...I had the same problem but as you did: it was merely tarnish and was easily removed. I went to the store and got a bottle of Goddard's Silver Polish--worked like a charm with the 925 sections of the paragon and the extra1930. Just have to be careful to remove the excess polish from the threaded parts.

You will enjoy the pen. I am using now as we speak!

I find the pen hard to carry in a pocket but it can look very smart clipped onto the side pocket of a dark wool deconstructed jacket. It has caused a commotion before so I tend not to use that in 'public' places. A shame but I prefer low-key. On the other hand, the extra1930 is more subdued. The paragon is...well...a presence.

I find 925 silver to be less white than say rhodium, palladium and platinum for good reasons. So if you take that silver with the white gold of the sailors or watches you can see the differences quite clearly because many white gold pieces are rhodium plated. Even so, the 925 of Omas and extra1930 have a somewhat different lustre. Don't know why...

AAA

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Helian, I have this pen in black with the SS fixtures. I've had it for maybe 2 months, and mine has no tarnish. Came out of the box perfect and still is. I don't polish it but I do wipe it down with one of those silky eye glass cloths. I forget the official name of the cloth, you all know what I mean. I'm not religious about cleaning mine so I'm confused to why tarnish is on your pen. This is strange. Almost like it was contaminated by dirty hands, like a demo model in a store where it might be picked up 10-15 times a week by people with God knows what on their hands and the pen was never wiped off afterwards.

I plan on getting an Arco Bronze Paragon soon and this concerns me. But this pen is a beautiful pen, whether the Arco or the black. I love mine and think it's extremely well made. The size is perfect but not for everone.

Enjoy your pen.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!