Visconti Divine Proportion

AKAGodSent

I have to say that if I was to name one pen, from my collection, a 'grail' pen, this would probably be it. The design is original, the look is beautiful, and it writes amazingly well. I got the pen at Altman Luggage for $970 dollars, great service from them as always (I know, I always play them up, but honestly, they have amazing prices and match whatever you bring to them!). So, after waiting for a week and a half, today I called in and was told 'The eagle has landed!' Direct quote mind you :). So, here we go...

The pen comes in a rather large box, the color of which practically matches the pen, and this box comes in a cloth (which you'll see in the picture below) and all of that in a yellow Visconti Box. Inside you will find the instrument with which you can measure the 'golden ratio' or 'divine proportion' or 'phi', call it what you like, of objects. It's got an interesting history to it, so I'm appreciative of that. For the record I have number 390 out of 1,618, so I guess there are plenty to go around (start saving up!) :D.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0816.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0817.jpg

The pen itself is gorgeous! The color is dark and striking, the nib is the usual two toned that comes with Visconti LE pens and but I have to say I got the Medium Nib and the difference is striking between this one and the Black Storm that I had which had an F nib. There is a little feedback, it is smooth but still you can feel it as you write on the paper which is fine by me. More on the Nib later on. The silver accents going through the pen are beautiful and from a distance this pen is just as wonderful looking at it is up close.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0818.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0819.jpg

The Nib! As I mentioned above, I like the M much more than the F. Compared to the Stipula M that I bought yesterday it is wider and I honestly like both line widths that these two pens offer. I will say that this nib is a Wet writer. I filled it up with PR Velvet Black and the color is perfect! There is a little flex to the nib, as there was with the F on the Black storm, but as you write with this pen you can feel how smooth it is and the above mentioned feedback is heard as you write on paper rather than felt.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0820.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0821.jpg

To fill it up we have the push, pull, touchdown system. You push the back button, it comes up a little, you pull it out, then push it back down when you put it in the ink bottle and it fills up. I like this better than the 'double' filler system the Black Storm had. I have to say that this pen practically hit the bottom of the private reserve bottle to get it into 'position' for pushing down the filling mechanism, so be careful with PR ink bottles if you have this pen :).

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/akagodsent/IMG_0822.jpg

All in all I'm most definitely happy I got this pen to celebrate my acceptance into a PhD program :) well worth the money I'd say, it is absolutely a pleasure to look at and use. I love the design, that's what originally attracted me to the regular black Divina but this pen is just a step up and I think it marks the occasion wonderfully!

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jaytaylor

• AKAGodSent

• Immoteus

• greencobra

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOW Yan all I can say is :puddle: :drool: :puddle: :drool: :puddle: :drool: I WANT ONE TOO.

Enjoy this buddy and again good luck in your studies.

Oh and now I am waiting for the review on the Stipula.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

Stunning! This has got to be one of the best looking pens on the market today! Right now I'm looking at the pen case and wondering which 10 or so pens I could sell to get one of these!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Are the silver accents on the Divina inlaid or plated like the Black Divina?

They are inlaid silver on the Divina, I thought the black Divina was inlaid silver also????

The silver accents on the cap of the Black Divina looks/feels inlaid; but I'm not too sure of the body though. Under a 10x loupe I see a few areas on the body where it looks like the excess silver leaf wasn't completely brushed off.

Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

Congrats again Yan -

Another great looking and great writing pen! What a nice way to commemorate acceptance into your new PhD program.

I really like the idea of marking major life events with a pen. Every time you ink and use the Divina Proporzione, you'll relive that same wave of pride and satisfaction that washed over you when you heard from your new department chair.

And you're right - that big wet Visconti nib is as smooth as butter.

Have you found the hidden numbers yet? Visconti hid a number in the pattern of the briarwood cap and another number in the pattern of the barrel. They ran a contest for owners to find the numbers - more on their website www.visconti.it. I think Visconti awarded you an inkwell if you found the hidden sequence. I have not found them, and I think Jay Taylor (who also has a DP 1618) previously said he had not found them either.

Again Yan, congrats - good score.

Are the silver accents on the Divina inlaid or plated like the Black Divina?

The solid sterling silver bars are formed into spirals and glued into recesses cut into the briarwood celluloid cap and barrel. The ten bars (five in the cap and five in the barrel) are held in place with plastic ties while the glue cures, sealing them in position.

One note - I don't think the silver bars or end caps are platinum or rhodium overplated, so they can tarnish. I have not been willing to try a silver polish on the celluloid, so I use a treated silver polishing cloth to buff the silver back to the original luster. It's important that the cloth is very clean - small dirt particles embedded in the polishing cloth could scratch the high gloss celluloid finish. I got my two part polishing cloth from penmaker Michel Perchin with the Blue Serpent. But treated felt polishing cloths are available from internet sterling flatware and hollowware retailers.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

Is the feed a reddish-brown color or is it just my eyes? If so, that's cool!

Your eyes do not deceive you :)

Congrats again Yan -

Another great looking and great writing pen! What a nice way to commemorate acceptance into your new PhD program.

I really like the idea of marking major life events with a pen. Every time you ink and use the Divina Proporzione, you'll relive that same wave of pride and satisfaction that washed over you when you heard from your new department chair.

And you're right - that big wet Visconti nib is as smooth as butter.

Have you found the hidden numbers yet? Visconti hid a number in the pattern of the briarwood cap and another number in the pattern of the barrel. They ran a contest for owners to find the numbers - more on their website www.visconti.it. I think Visconti awarded you an inkwell if you found the hidden sequence. I have not found them, and I think Jay Taylor (who also has a DP 1618) previously said he had not found them either.

Again Yan, congrats - good score.

Ray,

I completely forgot about the hidden numbers :) have had no luck yet, are they visible with the naked eye? Will have to try harder tomorrow :D. I'm more or less stopping my pen purchasing at this point, I think I have more than enough to last me for a long time to come!

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

One note - I don't think the silver bars or end caps are platinum or rhodium overplated, so they can tarnish.

I can confirm the silver hardware is not plated, tarnishing has appeared on my DPLE cap caused by the Visconti 12 pen case. A jewelers cloth removes it with ease

Two shots of my DP, it would be rude not to!!!!

post-2022-1204102061_thumb.jpg

post-2022-1204102084_thumb.jpg

That is one AMAZING fountain pen!! And if it's one thing I admire about Visconti (Even if I don't have one of their pens...yet) - It's that the company uses a wide range of fillers, instead of just "cartridge, converter, cartridge/converter, cartridge, converter, more cartridges..." *yaaaawn*

It provides an interesting challenge and it's a conversation piece.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Nice pen - great price! Or at least it's the best price I've seen on that pen. Even the desert red model I haven't seen that low. It's a true beauty! Congrats.

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations on the acquisition!

I have one of these beauties also! MAGNIFICENT!

Has anyone had any luck in finding the numbers? I think the clip numbers are some combination of Roman numerals in "VISCONTI" - either 5 1 100 1 or something to that effect.

Anyone care to share "secrets"???

....a man cannot have too many guns, knives, flashlights, or fountain pens!