parker sonnet my pen of choice but heard bad reviews..

FS goldfish

http://www.parkerpen.com/en/discovery/product/sonnet

alright, ive almost finally nail down my pen of choice for my very first fountain pen until i read this on flickr...

http://flickr.com/photos/churl/131159652/

the guy stated that it writes fat, and i happen to be one those guys that dislikes fat lines. any comment on this?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FS goldfish

• ZeleniLav

• DJHunter

• JinhaoMaster

My Sonnet is a Medium but writes more like a fine

where'd did u got ur sonnet from? i only wanted to either get the "deep black lacqurer or matt black lacquer" version, other than these 2 im not interested in other colors. i couldn't find another place online to order it from.

Edited by FS goldfish

where'd did u got ur sonnet from? i only wanted to either get the "deep black lacqurer or matt black lacquer" version, other than these 2 im not interested in other colors. i couldn't find another place online to order it from.

fountainpenhospital.com has the black one, as well as pengallery.com.

Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

I got that partcular pen from a random ebay seller, but I get most of my pens from Lewertowski: Black Sonnets

But my Sonnet is just one Sonnet, mine might be unusual by writing quite fine for a medium. If you're worried about it being wide, go for F or XF

Edited by DJHunter
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/djhunter/pens/DJHunter.jpg

Maybe Parker would do well to put the Frontier nib in the Sonnet - have never had trouble with these unlike the the Sonnet nibs which seem to have a quality control problem.

Edited by hatherton_wood

Something else to keep in mind is that the Parker repair center will order you another nib for your Sonnet for about fifty dollars. I just ordered a fine (18k) to replace a medium. They simply screw in. The Sonnet was my first pen also and I think it's one of the best values around.

My sonnet is a French made cascade gold. A very good overall balanced pen, and the medium nib

writes quite well. overall a very good pen.Though I must admit Its predecessor parker 75 is a thousand

miles ahead of it, and did cost me half of the sonnet.

fountainpenhospital.com has the black one, as well as pengallery.com.

oh nice found! that's the one i wanted to get, black and gold. but is pengallery.com trust worthy, are they authorized?

alright, ive almost finally nail down my pen of choice for my very first fountain pen until i read this on flickr...

http://flickr.com/photos/churl/131159652/

It's funny to see a link to one of my pics not posted by me! I wrote that a while back. My big complaint of the Sonnet is that I was hoping for a Parker 75 replacement. It's no 75. It's still a decent pen, and in the intervening time, I've discovered that there are far fatter 'fine' nibs. It's a very reasonable fine. I just don't think it writes that well. One man's opinion.

wow! never in 100 years would i think i'd met u here. is this a sign that i might later win the lottery? anyway what parker 75 are you speaking of? i dont see that model on their website.

u think i should order the sonnet ?

My Sonnet failed after 6 weeks, the ring around the nib case came away with the cap. Parker wanted as much to repair the pen as it cost and I didnt have the receipt to be able to prove it was new.

Moral of the tale - personally I wouldnt buy a Parker product again

but is pengallery.com trust worthy, are they authorized?

Yes and yes. You might want to e-mail them about the availability of the pen you want first, they seem to have some problems with that lately. They are very helpful about that, and everything arrives eventually, but might spoil your first-time experience.

The pen is only mightier than the sword if people can read, write and think – and there are no swords in reach.

- Julian Smith

but is pengallery.com trust worthy, are they authorized?

Yes and yes. You might want to e-mail them about the availability of the pen you want first, they seem to have some problems with that lately. They are very helpful about that, and everything arrives eventually, but might spoil your first-time experience.

since there from maylasia, are there pens the same as the ones in the u.s.?

since there from maylasia, are there pens the same as the ones in the u.s.?

I've never shopped for pens in the US, so I can't say... But I have two Parkers purchased from PenGallery.com, a Sonnet made in France and a 45 made in the UK, which I understand are the usual origins for those models these days.

Edited by ZeleniLav

The pen is only mightier than the sword if people can read, write and think – and there are no swords in reach.

- Julian Smith

I had 2 Sonnets one with a GF nib and th other with an 18K gold nib.Both pens were poor writers and at the end I gave up on them and sold them.

Respect to all

I bought a Sonnet with 18k nib from a brick-and-mortar dealer. It works perfectly. A bit wide and wet for my tastes, but it's my only new nice pen and I'm happy with it. It has a very impressive collector feed, and gives lots of ink in a controlled manner.

But it's not in my regular rotation right now, either, having been displaced by a passel of vintage pens.

Edited by Robert Hughes

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it.

~ Bernard Shaw.

My only Sonnet is a Sterling Silver Fougere with gold accents m two tone gold nib. I can't start to tell you how good this pen looks and how well it performs! One of my favorites!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!