Parker 65-review

goodguy

Another Parker pen that isn't so famous.Parker 65 is a pen that should have succeeded but really disappeared into the pen history with very little impact.

Parker took its controversial 61,got rid of the (wonderful) hooded nib and the capillary filler and put a more standard yet beautiful 14K open nib.The barrel is identical to the 61 and the section is almost identical except for the open nib part.

The capillary filler was replaced with a more conventional C/C filler.

The pen came in various colours including a flighter (steel) and insignia (gold filler) models.

I personaly have 4 pens: black,grey,flighter and the insignia.

The pen is very light weight and well balanced.It isn't a big pen but sits very comfortably in the hand.

The nib is semi flexible and is a pleasant experience showing that Parker knew how to make good hooded and open nibs.It is extremely smooth and responsive leaving a wet line on the paper with no effort at all,a very eager nib indeed.In my book its one for the nicest nibs I own.

The cap is also identical to the 61 and came in GF and Stainless Steel.

Even though its indentical to the 61 in many ways it feels different while writing,the different open semi flexible nib gives a whole different writing experience.

Bottom line I thing Parker fans should try a 65 once (if you didn't try yet) and feel how nice this pen is.

I think Parker produced this pen at the time that FP's were loosing ground to the ball point and that is the main reason for the lack of success of pens like the Parker 65.other then that I wouldn't be able to explain why such a wonderful pen didn't become more popular.

post-2027-1202478558_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1202478568_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1202478584_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1202478592_thumb.jpg

Respect to all

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• goodguy

• I am not a number

• Aysedasi

There are a lot of hidden gems in the pen world, Parker 65 is not the only exception. I can think of a few without trying hard. The Parkette doesn't get as much credit as it should. Some nice Esterbrook models go relatively neglected as compared to the demand for other vintage pens of their era despite the fact they are superb writters. Wahl-Eversharp Symphony, specially one with a flex nib, are excellent writters as well as sleek gorgeous pens, yet they are basically ignored because everyone wants the "51" or the Vacumatic. Well, i have used and own the vacumatic and 51, and while they are great pens, they are not the "it" pens everyone makes them out to be. Don't get me wrong, they are brilliant in their designs and quality, but so were others.

However, there are many other gems from that period in time, if you explore and expand your horizons you might even find yourself hooked on and liking other lesser known and much neglected pens as much or even more than your "51" or vacumatic.

Edited by Dr Ozzie

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

Nice review of an under rated pen, I have two (well one and a half really), one still has faint chalkmarks and as such is still in good condition, pity the same can't be said for the other one.

The other one was may main user, a couple of months ago tried to remove the C/C to clean and ended up with the hood coming apart, looks as if the bit the C/C attaches to has snapped, doesn't look possible to put it back together, so now sits in my parts box, which is a pity really.

Andy

I really like the 65 and have quite a few examples.

I've said too much...

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

I'm a total newbie, got my hands on a 65 in a batch of eBay pens and managed to crack the plastic piece that the C/C fits into (as you described). I feel so stupid, trying to go too fast with knowing so little, but I'm fascinated with taking them (the pens) apart.

Anyway, anyone know if that part is available? Or do I have to start a parts collection made up from my disasters?

I'm a total newbie, got my hands on a 65 in a batch of eBay pens and managed to crack the plastic piece that the C/C fits into (as you described). I feel so stupid, trying to go too fast with knowing so little, but I'm fascinated with taking them (the pens) apart.

Anyway, anyone know if that part is available? Or do I have to start a parts collection made up from my disasters?

If, as I suspect, the coupling is the bit that's failed, try http://www.worcesterpencompany.co.uk and search for '"Parker" style 61/65 Connectors' as a spare part. It may do the job for you. No connection.

Regards

Richard.

I was looking for a 65 a while ago but wasn't prepared to play the price at the time. I bought two 51s last year and was disappointed with them both - they didn't live up at all to the promise I was led to expect. Fortunately, they both made me a few £s on resale.

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I was looking for a 65 a while ago but wasn't prepared to play the price at the time. I bought two 51s last year and was disappointed with them both - they didn't live up at all to the promise I was led to expect. Fortunately, they both made me a few £s on resale.

So what is the pen you like and use ?

Is it a Sailor ?

Respect to all

• 7 months later...

I got a P65 Insignia at LWES 2008 for an acceptable price (ie the same as I'd expect to pay for a P61 - they usually go for a bit more).

It's nice that the convertor, connector, barrel & cap are interchangable with the P61 c/c version.

The weight of the P65 Insignia is fractionally greater than the P61 Insignia (approx 22.5 grams compared to 21 grams of the P61), and is about as heavy as a standard P51. The section diameter and profile is the same as the P61, and the nib is shaped such that its top sillouette is almost identical to a P61.

The nib appears to be quite flexible, though there isn't much variation in line width. The major part of the impression of flex comes from the change in reflection shapes on the flat top surface of the nib as you write, this flat surface magnifies the impression of flex compared to traditional open nib pens because reflections move further and faster than on a convex surface. The feel of the pen is very different from the P61, despite the similarity in the size of the iridium point, the diameter and the length. The point is smooth and flows easily over the page. As is common with UK manufacture pens, the iridium tipping is very generous; so a 'Medium' point is quite wide, not far off a US 'Broad'.

The P65 Insignia feels as if it's a very sturdy pen.

My overall impression is that the pen is not quite as nice to write with as a P61 - this may be just personal bias or a reaction to a slightly unfamiliar feel. The P65 feels to be a slight improvement over a user grade P51. The P65, P61 and P51 are all quality pens with little to choose between them apart from personal preference. The P65 is worth considering if you see one at a price that suits you.

Regards

Richard.

So what is the pen you like and use ?

Is it a Sailor ?

Apologies for missing this and not responding goodguy. Well, they've varied since February, but right now I'm using my newly received CS #58 which I bought on impulse and really like, a Sailor Sapporo (love the nib!) and an Esterbrook J with 2312 nib. I think they'll all be keepers and regular users.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• 3 weeks later...

Nice simple review Goodguy, and your right- a good pen!! I've got one and I really enjoy it, and Dr Ozzie also mentioned the Symphony, thats a great pen too. Thanks Hugh

• 5 months later...

Sorry to open up an old thread, but wow... picked one up from a flea market for $20 today - Excellent condition in box! Black with Stainless cap.

I had no idea it was any good, but I sure liked the look of it. That nib is very stylish.

Anton Emdin

Illustrations & Cartoons

www.antonemdin.com

The 65 is kind of addictive...

It was a Parker 65 that brought me here in the first place.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

• 1 month later...

How much would an excellent condition 65 Gold Filled Insignia be worth?

Aurora Optima Burgundy Celluloid

MontBlanc 149

MontBlanc Starwalker Cool Blue

MontBlanc 144

Lamy 2000

and about 30 other pens

This is actually a really great pen. i found one in my basement with a broad point and i love it

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo

How much would an excellent condition 65 Gold Filled Insignia be worth?

Don't really know how much it's worth, but I paid £25 (approx $37) last October for a reasonable one. Generally they go for around 10% more than a P61 in similar condition.

Regards,

Richard.

• 11 years later...

I’ve just bought one on eBay as my first FP i’m excited to use it. Is there anything I should/shouldn’t do before I start writing? Any tips on ink? 
I really enjoyed reading the review as I haven’t been able to find out a great deal of info on them.

I bought a 65 some time ago. It leaked from the connector. It's a relatively easy repair. Where I made a mistake was in getting the wrong one. There the Mark 1, and 2-3. So, my advice is that if you have a leak and decide to replace the connector, make sure you get the right one. (Wish I could be more specific as to how to make sure you get the right connector.)

Picked up my first 65 last March at the Little Rock Pen show! Impressive pen, it was the first time I had seen one and I really love it! Congrats on yours!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

On 6/18/2009 at 12:26 PM, richardandtracy said:

Don't really know how much it's worth, but I paid £25 (approx $37) last October for a reasonable one. Generally they go for around 10% more than a P61 in similar condition.

Regards,

Richard.

Richard, recently (end of 2020) prices for 65s in NOS or  mint condition have just rocketed...

I had to part with a fortune for Gold Stratus NOS one...

However, IMHO 65 is an amazing pen and it has been unjustly undervalued since its launch.

All the best is only beginning now...