Bexley 2008 Owners Club

Doug C

At last I have received my 2008 BOC. I know that this pen has been a source of controversy among some of the folks on FPN, so I'll try and address some of these issues in this review.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/Bexend.jpg

Appearance:

4/5

I'll just jump right into this:

This seems to be the most controversial aspect of this pen. I have heard members talk of this pen as 'being directed at the hip hop community (a lot of 'bling') ', which I think is a way of saying that it is a little over the top. While the panels on the side are definitely a major component of the design, they are much less overt than the pictures would indicate. PLEASE EXCUSE the poor quality of my photos. The engravings seem to really stand out in the pictures, but they are more subdued in the flesh.

The panels themselves seem to be of the same design, but are reversed on every other panel. According to the paper that was in the box, the silver body and cap were coated in rhodium before the engraving was done. This way the smooth silver areas will stay shiny while the engraved areas will tarnish and darken with age (I can hardly wait). The tactile feel of the engravings is wonderful while you are holding the pen in your hands.

The shape of the pen is the same as the Poseidon-short (when capped) and stocky. The design is reminicient of a vintage Pelikan. I like the design so much that I am thinking of buying a Poseidon to compliment this one. One the pen is posted though, it is fairly long. Bexley is about the only company that makes pens that are well balanced enough to allow this (I usually don't like long pens).

The balance is good whether it is posted or not, and the weight is not at all heavy for a silver pen (again, I normally don't care for pens that are too weighty or top heavy). The body is also long enough to use w/o posting.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/Bex10.jpg

Nib:

4/5

It is a Bexley nib so what more can you say? All of my Bexleys have been fairly thick for the nib size (this is a fine, but it writes a little more like a medium), little to no flex, but great writers.

This may be the best writing one of all with approximately 25% tooth, and 75% smooth balance. I purchased it from Richard Binder. I know that he is supposed to 'test' each pen he sells, but I don't know what this means (does he dip it and if it doesnt skip, he ships it?). In any case, i am guessing that he must put it through some of kind of test because this pen is flawless.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/Bex7.jpg

I've shown this pen against two other Bexleys: my 2007 BOC (which convinced me to buy this one), and a Submariner.

Fit and Finish

4/5

There were two defects out of the box: 1) there was a very minor blemish on the clip, and 2) just as you unscrew the cap, there is a rough area on the threads. I have an Equipoise that did the same thing, and it eventually smoothed out. Other than that, this is probably the best built Bexley I have.

It is not often than you say that a company's products are getting better with the newer models.

Speaking of the box, if you are one that is into the total package (a koa wood and titanium case along with a 85 page treatise detailing Howard Levy's musings on how he was inspired to create this pen) you will be disappointed. The box is faux lizard, and there is a plate that appears to be attached to the top of the case with double sided tape that says 'Bexley 2008 Owners Club).

You were going to buy this pen for the box anyway, were you?

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/BexleyRock.jpg

Value/Conclusions

5/5

How did I come up with a 5/5 rating when all of the individual categories are 4/5? This is one of 150 pens that were produced in this color, and as a truly limited edition, it is a bargain compared to the slight premium they charge over the standard models. It is beautifully built, is a wonderful writer, and has a distinctly American design. This is one I'll keep for future generations....so watch it with the comments on the looks, okay?............I'll have the last laugh when I post a picture in six months showing that beautiful patina....

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/Bexlleyoc1.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh130/DougDorann/Bex11.jpg

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug C

• naniwa46

• jonro

• AKAGodSent

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug C,

Those pens are hot! I wonder why they didn't engrave all the way around the cap and barrel without any solid gold or silver showing? Never mind.

Like you said, the engraving will tarnish while the silvery parts remain shiny.

NICE!

Very nice review, thanks!

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

Thanks guys. Two things I forgot to mention:

The clip is vastly improved over some of the older versions that Bexley has used. The ones that they used 5 or 6 years ago used to get caught in the fabric of my shirt pockets.

For those of you that are obsessive about things lining up (Paragon owners?), the etched panels only line up when the two sterling silver hallmarks (925) are lined up.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Doug, thanks very much for the review. I've been hoping someone would post one. I agree with nainwa46, that extending the engraving all the way around the circumference of the pen would have been nice. I also wish they had used black ebonite for the body of the pen, which would have complimented the golden age looks of this pen nicely.

Thanks guys. Two things I forgot to mention:

The clip is vastly improved over some of the older versions that Bexley has used. The ones that they used 5 or 6 years ago used to get caught in the fabric of my shirt pockets.

For those of you that are obsessive about things lining up (Paragon owners?), the etched panels only line up when the two sterling silver hallmarks (925) are lined up.

Doug,

Great review! I have seen that pen many times on Richard's website and wondered if I would see a review about it.I agree that it has the look of a Pelikan 100...might take me a little while to get used to the "brains"(Richard's term) tho'..... :rolleyes:

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

You would really need to see this pen in person to get the full effect. The panels seem to jump out at you in the pictures (and honestly, seem a little out of place), but as of this morning, looking at it sitting on my office (under the fluorescents), it looks very subdued and very classy. The transition from the open silver areas to the etched parts is much more natural, and this should only get better with age.

the Danitrio Fellowship

You would really need to see this pen in person to get the full effect. The panels seem to jump out at you in the pictures (and honestly, seem a little out of place), but as of this morning, looking at it sitting on my office (under the fluorescents), it looks very subdued and very classy. The transition from the open silver areas to the etched parts is much more natural, and this should only get better with age.

:drool:

I've handled both the silver and the vermeil versions of this pen. Although I like the Posiedon design I am underwhelmed by the silver and vermeil overlays; they're not really to my taste. Of the LE anniversary pens I think the Fifth in BCHR is the best looking and of the LE owners' club pens I think the 2007 in amber is the best looking. Of course, in all cases the Bexley nibs are outstanding.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill