Pelikan Majesty

devjeethensh

First Impressions / Appearance (5/5)

I was bowled over the first time i saw the pictures of Pelikan Majesty, in a pre release advertisement . It's release was delayed and so after three months of following up with Pam Braun , i finally bought this pen at a much lower price than it's list price.

The pen comes in one of the biggest and nicest looking presentation boxes i have ever seen ,complete with a cloth pouch and a very nice booklet.

This pen is a stunner and attracts attention wherever it goes. It's platinum-plated sterling, with gold-plated furniture, and it's solid. Still the Majesty has a conservative look and it doesn't potray a gaudy and bejewelled look .It's looks speak for itself , and for a long time it was one of the most discussed pens in varoius pen forums.

Design/Size/Weight (5/4.5)

Like all Pelikans it's a very we well designed pens but in many ways Pelikan has deviated from the traditional Sovereign design and looks and for good. This pen seems to be based on M600 chasis but as many have mentioned before this pen looks and feels more like an M800 or even an M1000 than an M600. There is a signficant amount of heft to this pen as this pen is made up of solid silver .There are some uses of other materials. The cap itself is solid silver, but there is a plastic inner cap. This inner cap serves two important purposes: it provides a seal against the section that could not be created effectively with silver, and it also ensures that there is no silver-to-silver rubbing when you cap or post the pen. The barrel is solid silver, with no liner; but there is an internal band of plastic about 1/4" wide near the open end to provide a secure threaded fit with no metal-to-metal contact in the same manner as the inner cap. There is a resin layer within the section, to provide a proper seal and threaded fit for the nib. You won't feel the need to post the cap as even unposted it gives a substancial feel.The grip section of this pen is pretty long and i think it provides one of the most ergonomic grip amongst all Pelikan models. The cap screws and unscrews easily and is rock solid . The clip has good tension , but the pen snags your pocket as is expected from a heavy pen like this.The barrel locks into place with a loud click and a bit more effort during the final turn , which is due to locking screw threads, which prevents it from becoming loose and rattle. These small thoughtful design features make this pen standout and make it ''The Majesty'' amongst the commoners.

One word of caution , the piston knob should be screwed all the way in before assembling the barrel fully otherwise there is a chance of damaging the piston mechanism, as there is very little clearance at the bottom of barrel and top section when they mate togather . Also , I feel the pen body is prone to scratching easily , due to smooth gloss finish.

Length posted: 6-19/32"

Length capped: 5-11/32"

Length uncapped: 5"

Barrel length: 4-7/32"

Barrel diameter at threads: 0.48"

Barrel diameter at middle: 0.52"

Weight: 2.21 oz (62.5 g)

Nib (5/4.5)

The nib is the soul of a fountain pen. So many people have written it, but it is so true. My pen has a fine nib. The fine nib

lays down a smooth wet line but i feel is a bit small for a pen of this size and looks . This is a two tone 18C gold nib which is totally diffrent from any of the other Pelikan models . As usual the nib screws in and out easily and what is really heartening is that the Majesty will take any M600 size and other compatible nibs .This opens up a lot of options for the users.

Filling System (5/5)

The filling system is standard and time proven Pelikan internal piston system , which is butter smooth. What is diffrent and very interesting to me is that the barrel screws to reveal the transparent ink section . I sometimes just fill and empty the pen to enjoy the sight of moving internal mechanism. What other pen can combine the values of a solid silver look and vitues of a demonstrator(partial).

Cost and Value (5/5)

Purchased from Pam at Oscar Braun Pens. She offered me a the best price in world, which was considerably lower than the list price. This pen is excellent value for money if you consider the astronomical prices of some other full silver pens and other

special/limited edition pens , as it encompasses the look and many features of them.

Conclusion (24/25)

This is the most expensive pen that i own till date and i think it is one best investment i have ever made.

To me this pen is total value for money and more , specifically as i can always go for the custom nibs anytime.

This pen oozes class and taste.

Note : The dimensions and some other information in this review have been taken from Richard Binder's excellent post here in FPN . No point in reinventing the wheel :ltcapd: Rest all are my own views.Thanks to him for this and inspiring me to buy this excellent pen.

Some photos .Please , excuse my poor photographic skills as they don't do justice to this beautiful piece of art.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23431799@N06/...682920/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23431799@N06/...682902/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23431799@N06/...682888/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23431799@N06/...682896/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23431799@N06/...682896/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23431799@N06/...682910/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23431799@N06/...682884/sizes/l/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2210/2254682920_2959681e07_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2136/2254682902_c56f741999_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2313/2254682888_7a2488ce8f_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2315/2254682896_ed336dac16_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2005/2254682910_ae6344b282_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2327/2254682884_5dfaf876ff_b.jpg

Edited by devjeethensh

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• devjeethensh

• Luca

• Tsujigiri

• fsalz

The pleasure was entirely mine . Anyway , it was my duty to share something with my fellow board members as i have enjoyed and learned so much from thier postings.

regards,

Dev

The clip has good tension , but the pen snags your pocket as is expected from a heavy pen like this.The barrel locks into place with a loud click and a bit more effort during the final turn , which is due to locking screw threads, which prevents it from becoming loose and rattle. These small thoughtful design features make this pen standout and make it ''The Majesty'' amongst the commoners.

Dev:

It's interesting that you mention the clip tension. The only fault I have with my Majesty is that the clip, being hinged, does not seem to have enough tension to keep the pen from falling out of my pocket if I were to lean over. What do you think? Would yours hold in your pocket?

Thanks for the review. I was pleased to read another person's opinion - especially since you are so happy about your purchase. Enjoy.

Fred

The clip has good tension , but the pen snags your pocket as is expected from a heavy pen like this.The barrel locks into place with a loud click and a bit more effort during the final turn , which is due to locking screw threads, which prevents it from becoming loose and rattle. These small thoughtful design features make this pen standout and make it ''The Majesty'' amongst the commoners.

Dev:

It's interesting that you mention the clip tension. The only fault I have with my Majesty is that the clip, being hinged, does not seem to have enough tension to keep the pen from falling out of my pocket if I were to lean over. What do you think? Would yours hold in your pocket?

Thanks for the review. I was pleased to read another person's opinion - especially since you are so happy about your purchase. Enjoy.

Fred

Hi Fred,

You are spot on . This has happened with me also, but i will attribute this more to the weight of the pen than lack of tension.

I guess this a compromise we have to accept as the clip is a solid piece of good looking metal which looks much better than some light flimsy spring type clip . Also , i suspect that incresing the tension may lead to damaging of fabric. I think Pelikan engineers are too good to miss out on such small details .

regards,

Dev

Nice pen, but I would rather get a M800 - better value for money. The Majesty is $900!! And it's built on a M600 chassis. I could never justify spending this much on a medium sized pen, but it is certainly a lovely pen. Nevertheless, if I was in the market for a sterling pen, I would still go for a CS Drake in preference - I prefer the extra heft.

Folks,

I would like to thank from heart , everyone who has read this review and everyone who have been so lavish in praise and admiration . Personally i feel , that i don't deserve the praise(for one due to poor photographs).

There's nothing much i can add , which hasn't been already mentioned in my review or elsewhere , other than , please hold this pen once, before you buy it , if possible(in an Brick and mortar shop). I did it , while i was in New York (in Joon's), and those 15 secs were enough to convince me to order it from Pam Braun at a much lower price.

Obviously , there are more ornate and bigger silver pens , but i was looking for value of money(being a man of very modest means), for a daily workhorse and not a piece of jewel .As for comparisons with M800 ,i would say i find the grip section of this pen a much longer and ergonomic design than the M800(again my thoughts).Combined with the weight and girth i feel this pen feels more substancial than the M800. I would say that this is an welcome departure by Pelikan from their usual grip design and other design aspects . I also think that the piston filler(and the transparent section at that), which is according to me the best filler system , sets this pen apart from hoardes of CC filler silver pens and thus exceptional value for money at the right price.

But as every individual has his/her own criterion for a dream pen , everyone is right in their opinions.

Keep well and keep loving your pens.

best regards,

Dev

As a recent owner of a majesty, I want to applaud this well written review, as it mirrors my own experience.

I never before imagined spending so much, but after writing with this pen once, I knew had to have it. And more then any other pen I've ever owned, it has continued to grow on me.

As to it's similarities w/ the m600; in use, it is a very different pen. As an owner of several m600's & two m800's, I would argue it represents the perfect blending of both, while at the same time, is unlike either. It is not as bulky as the m800, & yet is more solid then the m600, and perhaps due to it's weight, it seems to write on it's own. And the nib, although interchangeable with the m600, is quite unlike any Pelikan nib I’ve ever used. Ultra-smooth & a little springy, not the usual Pelikan nail.

And here in the cold Northeast of the US, it's tendency to warm to body temp while in your pocket is an unexpected pleasure. I've never had a pen quite like this Pelikan; it looks & feels superb, & is a smooth and flawlessly wet writer

I have to say, that now I feel that I paid too much for my 600's & 800's, & would trade them all, for just one more Majesty.

As a recent owner of a majesty, I want to applaud this well written review, as it mirrors my own experience.

I never before imagined spending so much, but after writing with this pen once, I knew had to have it. And more then any other pen I've ever owned, it has continued to grow on me.

As to it's similarities w/ the m600; in use, it is a very different pen. As an owner of several m600's & two m800's, I would argue it represents the perfect blending of both, while at the same time, is unlike either. It is not as bulky as the m800, & yet is more solid then the m600, and perhaps due to it's weight, it seems to write on it's own. And the nib, although interchangeable with the m600, is quite unlike any Pelikan nib I’ve ever used. Ultra-smooth & a little springy, not the usual Pelikan nail.

And here in the cold Northeast of the US, it's tendency to warm to body temp while in your pocket is an unexpected pleasure. I've never had a pen quite like this Pelikan; it looks & feels superb, & is a smooth and flawlessly wet writer

I have to say, that now I feel that I paid too much for my 600's & 800's, & would trade them all, for just one more Majesty.

Bravo !!! You have managed to say in few words , what i failed to say in paragraphs , :thumbup:

which is, ''IT'S DIFFRENT,IT'S SPECIAL''.

Comparisons , with M600 or M800 are fine to have an idea of size and girth of the pen , but we should remember that this is a completely diffrent line from the Souveran series. This is welcome departure from traditional Pelikan shape / design and we all know that we humans always resist /dislike changes to traditional things , even if they are for good :ltcapd:

BTW : I had initially bought this pen with the idea of swapping the nib with an custom nib , but this nib is so addictive that i had to park that idea . I just love the wet , smooth line , and allround usefullnes this fine nib of mine provides. Never , before a pen has been in daily use with me for four months in a row , usually all my new pens just go in the rotation mode in 15 days at the most .

To those who have this pen , i would wish enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Good job on the review, enjoyed it and I'm glad you're happy with it. But, they really did a 180 designing this pen. It reminds me of a MB limited edition commemorative of something with a Pelikan nib! :huh: This is not a bad thing and I like the look. The Majesty is on my "to get" list. Use it in good health!

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Is the Majesty's nib the same as a standard M600 nib, or did they design a unique nib for the Majesty? I can't tell from the photos.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Is the Majesty's nib the same as a standard M600 nib, or did they design a unique nib for the Majesty? I can't tell from the photos.

Yes, the nib on Majesty is a unique nib , which is totally diffrent from any of the past Pelikan models. But as i have mentioned it will take any of the M600 and other compatible nibs, which opens up lots of customisation options.

But , perhaps the best person to confirm this would be nib experts like Richard Binder.

Edited by devjeethensh

I think I like the 7005 better.

How long is the nib?

How long is the section?

What is the section's diameter?

What is the ink capacity?

How heavy when uncapped?

How is the balance?

Thanks,

Luca

Edited by Luca

My Writing Instruments (selection):

Graf von Faber-Castell, Classic, 18k nib in ebony wood dress

Pelikan, M800, 18k nib in black resin/plastic dress

Stipula, Etruria Nera, 18k nib in black celluloid dress

Parker, Jotter, black gel ink refill in stainless steel dress

<a href="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49361&st=0">Classification of Paper, Inks, and Writing Instruments</a>

One nice pen ;) too bad it isn't built on the m1000

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Great review, and an amazing pen! It's too bad that it's smaller, and not a piston filler (well, they call it a piston filler, but it looks more like an oversized fixed converter). The locking threads for the cap sound interesting, how exactly does that work?