Pelikan Future

kadymae

I purchased this M nib Pelikan Future from Todd at isellpens.com about 3 months ago because I liked my Pelikano Jr, and wanted a durable "daily driver" with a finer nib.

First Impressions

Like the Pelikano Jr, it comes in a no frills cardboard box. Then again, this is an under $20 pen at most retailers.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/tartymae/pens/PelikanFuture1.jpg

Design

Like the Lamy Safari and the Pelikano Jr. this is a love it or hate it pen. In addition to Silver, it comes in Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow, -- bright, bold, command colors.

The nib is the same style found on the Pelikano family of pens. No decoration, just "M" for medium.

The section has an ergonomic grip different from those on the Pelikanos, made of three lobes of hard rubber embedded in plastic. I find it as comfortable to hold as a Lamy Safari, but unlike the Safari, a user is not forced to hold the pen a certain way in order to write.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/tartymae/pens/PelikanFuture2.jpg

The barrel of this silver Pelikano is made of a lightweight metalicized plastic. It's not 100% metal, and it's not 100% plastic -- tapping on the barrel makes a metalic sounding ring, but not the tone that would be produced by something 100% metal. About half way down the barrel is a cut out window which allows the user to check (to some extent) the amount of ink left in the pen, or see exactly how short a small ink cartridge is. ;)

The clip is made of what looks like plastic and rubber. I reguarly clip it to my shirt at work and it shows no sign of fatigue so far. The cap seats with a soft snap and is not hard to pull off.

I find the pen lightweight, with a good balence, and IMHO, it writes best without the cap posted, although posting the cap does not make it unusably top heavy.

Ink System

This pen takes Pelikan's cartridges and piston converter as well as international cartridges.

Performance

DO NOT USE NOODLER'S INK IN THIS PEN! When filled with Noodlers, this pen becomes a balky, scratchy, utterly unpleasant writer. (Odd because my M205 -- different nib design -- does just fine with Noodler's.) It performed so badly with Noodlers (even Aircorp Blue-Black, an ink noted for excellent flow properties) that I considered giving up on it.

On the advice of Old Griz, I tried using a different ink in it. It was like getting a whole new pen! When filled with Pelikan, Private Reserve, or Lamy ink, it writes smoothly and reliably, just like a Pelikan should. Ironically, I get the smoothest and best performance with Lamy Blue-Black (iron gall). With proper maintainance (daily use and a weekly flushing of the nib), I used iron gall ink for 3 consecutive weeks and experienced no problems.

(At the moment the pen is filled with PR Tanzanite because I'm at home and don't need a waterproof blue ink, plus I feel like purple.)

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h305/tartymae/pens/PelikanFuture3.jpg

Final Thoughts

The Pelikan Future is an inexpensive, smooth writing, reliable pen.

And while it may be picky about the kind of ink it's fed, the nib can take a beating. I dropped it tip down --twice in the same day -- on thin carpet laid over cement and experienced no damage. The nib is a "nail".

Its light weight means it won't tire the user's hand, making it suited for extended use, and its grip is a good choice for those who need something ergonomic, but find the Lamy Safari uncomfortable.

Like the Lamy Safari, this is a great pen to use as a loaner or as workplace daily driver. It can take a beating, and if the worst happens, it can actually be replaced cheaper than the Lamy.

Edited by kadymae

Katherine Keller

Culture Vultures Editrix

Sequential Tart

(A webzine by women who love comics and pop culture.)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maja

• willietheshakes

• kadymae

• Sno

Thanks for the review and photos, kadymae! I got the same pen (but from PenCity.com) a few weeks ago and I love it! No wonder KendallJ was always raving about it as a great beginner fountain pen... :rolleyes: I don't know why I waited so long to buy one, but I'm glad I did.

My Silver Pelikan Future pen starts up without hesitation and lays down a generous, wet line (I got a M but it's a wide M, I'd say). I love those long Pelikan cartridges that can fit in the barrel. I got one for free with the pen and I will keep refilling it with a syringe when I run out because it holds so much ink. I got a convertor for the pen, but the cartridge looks like it holds more ink, so I'll use the convertor in another Pelikan...

Oh, and thanks for the tip re: Noodler's. I haven't used up the cartridge that came with the pen (presumably it's Pelikan Royal Blue, but I can't be sure as I only got 1 free cartridge--no cartridge box). The ink is nice and dark, though, so I don't mind refilling it with the bottle of Royal Blue I have at home :)

Thank you for that wonderful review! Thanks to your review, I will not be buying this pen!! Ha ha! More specifically, the close-up picture of the section grip reminds me of the head of a Gromphadorhina portentosa, of which I have a mortal fear. That pen would give me the heebie jeebies.

Thank you for that wonderful review! Thanks to your review, I will not be buying this pen!! Ha ha! More specifically, the close-up picture of the section grip reminds me of the head of a Gromphadorhina portentosa, of which I have a mortal fear. That pen would give me the heebie jeebies.

I just looked up your little insect friend. My gosh....All I can say is thank goodness it's wingless!!! :yikes:

Thanks for the review.

In addition to Silver, it comes in Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow, -- bright, bold, command colors.

I think I should mention that there are also discontinued and special edition colors. I own a black Future, for example. Other colors I know are clear (transparent), anthracite and silver/black.

Regards

Hans-Peter

I've had a few of those. The one that's currently inked is the Silver version (like the one reviewed) and I have found it less comfortable to write with than the bold colors because the finish is a little different and tends to make my hand sweaty.

This being said, I love the pen. It's the one I take on trips when I know I'll have to use cartridges...

Performance

DO NOT USE NOODLER'S INK IN THIS PEN! When filled with Noodlers, this pen becomes a balky, scratchy, utterly unpleasant writer. (Odd because my M205 -- different nib design -- does just fine with Noodler's.) It performed so badly with Noodlers (even Aircorp Blue-Black, an ink noted for excellent flow properties) that I considered giving up on it.

Odd - I use Noodlers in all of my Futures and Pelikanos, and I've never had any problem...

Performance

Odd - I use Noodlers in all of my Futures and Pelikanos, and I've never had any problem...

What colors do you use because I've had nothing but misery with: Aircorps Blue-Black, Le Coleuer Royal, and Red-Black.

Katherine Keller

Culture Vultures Editrix

Sequential Tart

(A webzine by women who love comics and pop culture.)

Great review! I purchased one of these when I needed a pen for a different color of ink and my dealer was out of Safaris. While it is a good pen, I certainly prefer the Safari. However I will say this about it, I was impressed enough to get another Pelikan (Pura), and am rapidly becoming a fan of the brand.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Performance

What colors do you use because I've had nothing but misery with: Aircorps Blue-Black, Le Coleuer Royal, and Red-Black.

Depending on the day and pen, I use LCR and Red-Black (above), Midnight Blue, Brown, Walnut, Kiowa Pecan and, mostly, black. Plus the FPN colours...

Never had a problem with any of them in the Futures or the Pelikanoes (or any of my pens, truth be told).

Thanks for a good review! I'm curious as to whether anyone has tried modifying Futures or Pelikanos with custom nib grinding. They're probably not nearly as suitable for such work as the nibs of the Pelikan M200+ series, but I'd be interested to hear any reports of success or failure with them.

• 1 year later...

I bought one from Pendemonium with Broad nib that had been re-ground to a cursive italic. It is amazing! My only complaint is that the cap on my pen does not post securely. Does anyone else have this problem with their Future? If not, I intend to get another, re-ground, of course.

Thanks.

Edited by jdclarkson

http://home.earthlink.net/~athanatos/John-Sig%203.png

"Let those who don't want none

have memories of not gettin' any."

—Bro. David Gardner

• 1 month later...

I recently got the Future at eBay just because I wanted to try another Pelikan than the Pelikano I used at school.

The straight design is very pleasing.

The three rubber compartments allow different attitudes of grip, I like this because my grip occasionally changes.

The M nib seems a quite broad M so I'd also try the F sized.

My Future is inked with De Atramentis Himmelblau which perfectly works with it.

Thanks to your review I finally know now the name of this smooth light weight every day writer!

• 3 weeks later...

Great review!

I have the same exact pen, that I purchased to add to my collection of Lamy Safaris. Figured I'd branch out. I was very pleasantly surprised over this pen--- so much so that I purchased a Jade Green Epoch that's due some time next week!

Very smooth writer. I ordered another one in red with a M nib, as I have the B one and it lays down a lot of ink. Still nice, tho.

Pens I own: Waterman Hemisphere F, Pelikan Epoch M, Parker Frontier Luna Purple M, 9 Lamy Safaris, 2 Pelikan Futures, 2 Heros, Taccia Amethyst Mosaic M, Lamy 2000 B, Kaweco Sport B, Pelikan M101N Souveran

When I win the lottery: Montblanc Boheme Doue Collection - Pirourette with Lilac Stone FP

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post, but I am so glad I found this! My mom wants a fountain pen for her birthday (she's a newbie) and I wanted to get her something she would like that wouldn't be too heavy but would come in a more neutral color than the Pelikanos (since she wants to put purple ink it it!) Thanks for the great review.

"When a man is tired of pens, he is tired of life." - Stephen Overbury

"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." - Proverbs 25:11

Big fan of this pen. Doesn't make usual rotation but it is goto pen for travel.

Edited by flashvictor

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on my second Future - purchased from Norfolk Stationery. I've now bought three of them, one for my beloved (Red and inked with PR Dakota Red) Mine have both been blue and inked with either the Pelican Long Blue, PR international cart in Black Cherry, waiting to test the Pelikan Blue-Black. Lost my original Future in our local airport while picking up my baggage. No hit on the clip, the pocket was overstuffed.

I find that the Pelikan matches very well with my other daily pen, a Lamy Safari Aluminum, currently inked with the Lamy blue cartridge. I've got a converter for the Lamy, and will start inking it with Noodler's Polar Black. I do get some nib creep, but I don't find it objectionable.

festina lente

• 1 year later...

I've got a couple of these pens. Always a great pen to loan to someone or take out into the yard with me. The bright green one won't get "lost". I too wanted an italic nib on one of them, so I bought a Pelikan Script desk pen and swapped the nibs. :bunny01:

I thought the reference to G. portentosa was too funny, so I went and compared it to a couple of mine. Sorry, I don't see the resemblance. :roflmho:

//mark