Graf von Faber-Castell

Luca

Thanks Omasfan for the detailed explanation. I am sure it is silver plated now. No matter, I would just have to be careful when polishing it as Wimg has warned.

I also have a Montblanc that's beset by the same problem of oxidisation & that was gold plating. It must be the weather here.

Does anyone have any good Graf "Pen of the year" to recommend? I know it's a personal thing but it will be good to get a general vote.

Thanks & best rgds

Hmmmm, I'm not a big fan of the looks of the 2006. The 2007, however looks gorgeous in shop windows.

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Excoriar

• Amberviv

• omasfan

• Luca

Top Posters In This Topic

> I noticed that the nib and the feed look rather suspiciously similar to the Pelikan 800 nib,

> and have heard that GVFC does use Pelikan nibs in their pens. (Excoriar)

As Pelikan's nibs are made by Bock, it may also be the case that both Pelikan and GVFC have independent design but turn out to have some similarities due to Bock as common manufacturer and consultant.

> The Classic I had a problem with the nib section not wanting to stay tight. (Excoriar)

This is really a bad news. I have to lower the grade for GVFC in my classification of pens.

Luca

I believe the overall quality and fit of the pen is great (Classic), just that the nib section got loose. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they're sending it back to GVFC. No idea how long that will take... I need another pen besides my 149. Perhaps this is a good time to get that Yard O Led I've been trying to get my hands on... :puddle:

Thanks Omasfan for the detailed explanation. I am sure it is silver plated now. No matter, I would just have to be careful when polishing it as Wimg has warned.

I also have a Montblanc that's beset by the same problem of oxidisation & that was gold plating. It must be the weather here.

Does anyone have any good Graf "Pen of the year" to recommend? I know it's a personal thing but it will be good to get a general vote.

Thanks & best rgds

Hmmmm, I'm not a big fan of the looks of the 2006. The 2007, however looks gorgeous in shop windows.

The 2007 looks even better in your hands... That fossilized wood was so shiny and pretty I almost bought it.... But then, then my demise will come rather quickly after that.. Who knows. The Chinese New Year is coming, and my bonus is coming. I just might be able to squeeze some money out for a 2007.

Edited by Excoriar

Thanks & best rgds

The 2007 looks even better in your hands... That fossilized wood was so shiny and pretty I almost bought it.... But then, then my demise will come rather quickly after that.. Who knows. The Chinese New Year is coming, and my bonus is coming. I just might be able to squeeze some money out for a 2007.

If you get it, I'll be waiting for a review! :thumbup:

Montblanc 145, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib

Excoriar, was the nib loose when you first purchased the pen? On a second thought, a loose nib sounds like a broken nib under the section, or a broken feed. Let me know when the pen comes back.

Luca

My Writing Instruments (selection):

Graf von Faber-Castell, Classic, 18k nib in ebony wood dress

Pelikan, M800, 18k nib in black resin/plastic dress

Stipula, Etruria Nera, 18k nib in black celluloid dress

Parker, Jotter, black gel ink refill in stainless steel dress

<a href="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49361&st=0">Classification of Paper, Inks, and Writing Instruments</a>

Excoriar, was the nib loose when you first purchased the pen? On a second thought, a loose nib sounds like a broken nib under the section, or a broken feed. Let me know when the pen comes back.

Luca

The nib section was definantly tight when I first purchased it. It was just a nice slim pen with a slightly stiff nib. Then the nib got broken in a bit and was writing nicely when one day I noticed the pen was writing very wet and there was ink on my hands, and it's been loose since.

To PigRatAndGoat: I'm afraid you may have to wait just a bit longer until after February. I'm waiting for my car to come back from the annual maintenance, and if the bill isn't too big, I'm thinking about that Yard O Led I've had my eyes on for a while now.

Have just put down my deposit for the GVFC 2007 Pen of the year. Won't take delivery for a while as I need to pick it up in Hongkong but the crime is now committed... I have also managed to find a reason to stick at my job. After all, not only does it pay for my pen addiction, it also earns me a 50% discount on each fix...

The pen does look lovely from the pictures...:drool:

To PigRatAndGoat: I'm afraid you may have to wait just a bit longer until after February. I'm waiting for my car to come back from the annual maintenance, and if the bill isn't too big, I'm thinking about that Yard O Led I've had my eyes on for a while now.

Ah, we're in need of some YOL reviews around here too...

So, any idea when the 2008 POY will get released?

Montblanc 145, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib

Ah, we're in need of some YOL reviews around here too...

So, any idea when the 2008 POY will get released?

The people at the store I usually buy at tell me in the 2nd half of this year.

Have just put down my deposit for the GVFC 2007 Pen of the year. Won't take delivery for a while as I need to pick it up in Hongkong but the crime is now committed... I have also managed to find a reason to stick at my job. After all, not only does it pay for my pen addiction, it also earns me a 50% discount on each fix...

The pen does look lovely from the pictures...:drool:

Amberviv... do you work at Faber-Castell? 50% off each fix is a great deal!

No, Excoriar, I don't work at the pen maker itself but we sell the products and it is the company policy to encourage staff's purchases. We do not stock that many Pen of the Year and as I mentioned somewhere before, most of the staff buy ballpoints anyway so that the cost to the company is not that great... Unfortunately, tlast week we sold the 2 last Amber pen (the 2004 PotY) so no more GvFC purchase for me for the time being, even with discount!

No, Excoriar, I don't work at the pen maker itself but we sell the products and it is the company policy to encourage staff's purchases. We do not stock that many Pen of the Year and as I mentioned somewhere before, most of the staff buy ballpoints anyway so that the cost to the company is not that great... Unfortunately, tlast week we sold the 2 last Amber pen (the 2004 PotY) so no more GvFC purchase for me for the time being, even with discount!

I guess it's time to "pursuade" your company to stock some 2007 PotY. :thumbup:

Leo

• 2 weeks later...