Graf von Faber-Castell

Luca

Ah, nice feedback! Thank you.

> Are you talking about the old-production pens that were silver-plated instead of

> rhodinated/platinated (current production)? The current production pens don't tarnish.

This might explain one model that I did not find in the main site. There is a solid silver, a platinum plated with resin? section, and a Rhodium plated. This last one is a ghost pen,

that keeps vanishing as I look. If you have one of these models, would you please share the nipple's material? Is it gold 18k like the nib?

Luca

There is just the old version (silver plated) and the new version (platinum plated). I wasn't sure what their plating material is (rhodium or platinum), so I stated the two (which are frequently used for such jobs). There shouldn't be any difference in looks. I have pens from different brands that are platinum plated and rhodium plated and for the life of me I cannot detect any differences.

By the by, their solid silver Graf von Faber Castell pen is a real beauty! Can be polished whenever it tarnishes but will never wear away any plating. It can be recognized by the two milled rings on the cap top (the other Graf pens only have one ring).

Also, all pens from the Graf series have 18k gold nibs. Also, the resin pens (also called Guilloche because of their nice engraved pattern I believe) are not to be confused with the "Graf von Faber Castell" series. The Graf series is to my knowledge only available in three types of wood (pernambuco, grenadilla, ebony) and Sterling silver. The resin pens you're talking about are also very nice but the are a tad smaller, come in colors such as red, yellow, blue, and platinated full metal and as of lately also black resin (their latest addition). All pens from the Guilloche series in my opinion sport 18k nibs as well.

Edited by omasfan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Excoriar

• Amberviv

• omasfan

• wimg

Top Posters In This Topic

I got it now. In the Joon website there are the three types I was mentioning. The Rhodium plated belongs to the Guilloche serie, while the Platinum plated with resin section and the solid sterling silver belong to the Classic serie. There does not seem to be a silver plated versions.

I am still interested in knowing the material of their nipple.

Luca

My Writing Instruments (selection):

Graf von Faber-Castell, Classic, 18k nib in ebony wood dress

Pelikan, M800, 18k nib in black resin/plastic dress

Stipula, Etruria Nera, 18k nib in black celluloid dress

Parker, Jotter, black gel ink refill in stainless steel dress

<a href="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49361&st=0">Classification of Paper, Inks, and Writing Instruments</a>

Ok, mystery solved now. My pen is the solid silver and ebony model (two rings on the cap and all that). I was a little bit puzzled (and disppointed) when Wimg informed me that it got silver plating on I was surprised & disappointed because I recalled that it was sold as sterling silver to me by the shop.

The nipple is not gold. Unless I am mistaken, it's sterling silver like that cap.

Very happy to ascertain that the pen can be cleaned without risking damage. Thanks for the helpful comments.

Ok, mystery solved now. My pen is the solid silver and ebony model (two rings on the cap and all that).mments.

Now you have me all puzzled. Did they produce a hybrid between solid sterling silver cap and wood-clad barrel? To my knowledge, the wooden Graf pens don't have any solid sterling silver on them. The solid sterling silver pen was all silver with no wood.

But then, the two milled rings on the cap denote the solid sterling silver version, that is indubitably true.

No idea what's going on. Definitely two rings on the cap and ebony barrel. So is the cap sterling silver or just silver plated??? I will take a picture and post it some time to get you guys to help identifying what this one is.

Ok, mystery solved now. My pen is the solid silver and ebony model (two rings on the cap and all that). I was a little bit puzzled (and disppointed) when Wimg informed me that it got silver plating on I was surprised & disappointed because I recalled that it was sold as sterling silver to me by the shop.

Where did I inform you of that, if I may ask? I never said that, actually. I only mentioned ways to protect the silver.

The nipple is not gold. Unless I am mistaken, it's sterling silver like that cap.

I doubt very much that it is silver, if you are talking about the nipple that receives the cartridge or converter, as silver wouldn't last very long at all as a nipple.

Very happy to ascertain that the pen can be cleaned without risking damage. Thanks for the helpful comments.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

In addition to what has been written already, the Graf von Faber Castell wood pens also acquire a beautiful patina after some use. This is especially beautiful on the light coloured pernambuco and to a lesser extent on the darker grenadilla and ebony barrels.

- SJX

The fine name distinction of their different brands:

Faber-Castell: everything from simple wooden pencils and office stuff up to their design pens like the "Ambition" FPs.

Graf von Faber-Castell: high and top level writing instruments, like their "Perfect Pencil" or the Pen of the Year FPs.

So, the "Ambition" is not a Graf (Count), sorry. ;)

Edited by saintsimon

It wasn't you that mentioned the silver plating, Wimg, it was Omasfan. Sorry.

As for the nipple, it looks white and shiny from here but if if Wimg doubted that it is silver, then perhaps it isn't...

The pen that I am talking about is a Graf Von Faber Castell. I think it is a Classic in Ebony with 18k nib. It has two rings on the cap but only around midway where the pen clip hang from so that are not the rings that identified it as sterling silver, right?

My guess is that it is an old version with silver plating (the little booklet that went with it referred to silver or silver plating). as Omasfan predicted a few days back.

Rgdds

As for the nipple, it looks white and shiny from here but if if Wimg doubted that it is silver, then perhaps it isn't...

The pen that I am talking about is a Graf Von Faber Castell. I think it is a Classic in Ebony with 18k nib. It has two rings on the cap but only around midway where the pen clip hang from so that are not the rings that identified it as sterling silver, right?

My guess is that it is an old version with silver plating (the little booklet that went with it referred to silver or silver plating). as Omasfan predicted a few days back.

Rgdds

Just check whether it bears any hallmarks on the rings. In that case you're sure it is silver. If it doesn't, it may still be silver, but that is much harder to tell.

If the booklet says is is plated, I would believe it, though.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

It looks well structured and pretty. Does anybody have this pen and wants to share his experience with it?

http://www.andys-pens.ukhome.net/classic.shtml

Luca

It is the oldest maker of pens on the present market, and nobody at FPN has one of its pretty pieces? I can't believe it...

Luca

I have a Classic pen in ebony wood and a POTY 2006. Both are nice pens.

The Classic I had a problem with the nib section not wanting to stay tight. Otherwise, all is good. I find the nibs to be a bit stiff in the beginning, but becomes quite smooth once you sort of break it in a bit.

The POTY 2006, I found that the nib was not aligned to the feeder and that the cap scratches the wood as you tighten the cap. Minor issues soon to be taken care of by customer service. The big problem for me is how much insurance to buy for the pen when I ship it out, but I don't want to be taxed again when it comes back to me.... I'm still trying to figure that one out.

The Classic I had a problem with the nib section not wanting to stay tight. Otherwise, all is good.

If you're talking about the Graf von Faber Castell series, then my experience is exactly the same! :roflmho: I've always wondered if I were the only one... :rolleyes: Not a big deal, though....

Rgdds

I would also rather assume that yours is silver-plated.

What I was talking about was that only the solid silver version has two milled rings at the very top of the cap where the top part projects. It looks a bit like a coin put on top of the cap when you look at it sideways. The sterling silver pen has two of these "coins," the regular Graf series has only one. Sorry for the confusion.

The Classic I had a problem with the nib section not wanting to stay tight. Otherwise, all is good.

If you're talking about the Graf von Faber Castell series, then my experience is exactly the same! :roflmho: I've always wondered if I were the only one... :rolleyes: Not a big deal, though....

Yep.. the same one! It gets really messy when that nib gets loose as the converter somehow pushes the ink out. :roflmho:

Oh and the POTY is a full size / oversize pen that is completely different from the Classic GVFC series. It's big and heavy. I believe the nib is the same as the ones used in a Pelikan 800.

Thanks Omasfan for the detailed explanation. I am sure it is silver plated now. No matter, I would just have to be careful when polishing it as Wimg has warned.

I also have a Montblanc that's beset by the same problem of oxidisation & that was gold plating. It must be the weather here.

Does anyone have any good Graf "Pen of the year" to recommend? I know it's a personal thing but it will be good to get a general vote.

Thanks & best rgds

Does anyone have any good Graf "Pen of the year" to recommend? I know it's a personal thing but it will be good to get a general vote.

I personally love the ebony/ivory version a lot (I believe it was 2006). I have admired in pictures but never seen in the flesh the amber pen (I believe 2004 or 2003). The latter pen is hard to find. The stingray is quite something special with this peculiar material. I find the pattern mesmerizing and outlandish in a very bizarre way but I am not a fan of leather-coated barrels in general (see also the latest S.T. Duponts with leather-coated barrels).

Thanks Omasfan for your quick rundown. I have my eye on the Amber for a sentimental reason. I feel almost the same as you do about the stingray. To me it just seems macabre somehow. The ivory appears a very big pen & I'm not a fan of those (I once had a Charles Dickens special edition from MB but ended up giving it away for that same reason). But you did say the Amber one is hard to come by. I wonder if we still have it in stocks somewhere in our group of companies....

The 240 anniversary fountain pen is my favorite. It is simply lovely and also featured a barrel made of 240-year old olive wood and three diamonds worked into the cap . About 1761 pens were produced.

Mike

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

Thanks Omasfan for the detailed explanation. I am sure it is silver plated now. No matter, I would just have to be careful when polishing it as Wimg has warned.

I also have a Montblanc that's beset by the same problem of oxidisation & that was gold plating. It must be the weather here.

Thanks & best rgds

I have compared the POTY 2004, 2006 and 2007 and they are the same size. I have the 2006, and saw the 2007 again today while just wandering around at a pen shop... Honest.... I think the only one I haven't seen in the flesh is the 2005 (Manta Ray). All very nice pens but with very different aesthetic characteristics. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I even asked about the 2008 pen, but the shop told me that they won't know until about the middle of the year.

I have a review here: POTY 2006

Edited by Excoriar

> I noticed that the nib and the feed look rather suspiciously similar to the Pelikan 800 nib,

> and have heard that GVFC does use Pelikan nibs in their pens. (Excoriar)

As Pelikan's nibs are made by Bock, it may also be the case that both Pelikan and GVFC have independent design but turn out to have some similarities due to Bock as common manufacturer and consultant.

> The Classic I had a problem with the nib section not wanting to stay tight. (Excoriar)

This is really a bad news. I have to lower the grade for GVFC in my classification of pens.

Luca

Edited by Luca

My Writing Instruments (selection):

Graf von Faber-Castell, Classic, 18k nib in ebony wood dress

Pelikan, M800, 18k nib in black resin/plastic dress

Stipula, Etruria Nera, 18k nib in black celluloid dress

Parker, Jotter, black gel ink refill in stainless steel dress

<a href="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49361&st=0">Classification of Paper, Inks, and Writing Instruments</a>