Graf von Faber-Castell

Luca

It looks well structured and pretty. Does anybody have this pen and wants to share his experience with it?

http://www.andys-pens.ukhome.net/classic.shtml

Luca

Edited by Luca

My Writing Instruments (selection):

Graf von Faber-Castell, Classic, 18k nib in ebony wood dress

Pelikan, M800, 18k nib in black resin/plastic dress

Stipula, Etruria Nera, 18k nib in black celluloid dress

Parker, Jotter, black gel ink refill in stainless steel dress

<a href="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49361&st=0">Classification of Paper, Inks, and Writing Instruments</a>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Excoriar

• Amberviv

• omasfan

• Luca

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the oldest maker of pens on the present market, and nobody at FPN has one of its pretty pieces? I can't believe it...

Luca

<a href="http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49361&st=0">Classification of Paper, Inks, and Writing Instruments</a>

Ah, you see, you should have asked whether anybody has any of the Faber castell pens of the year, especially the wooden and silver ones, like the Pernambuco, Grenadilla, Ebony or silver editions. :)

They are very, very nice, high quality pens.

Do note that their nibs are very wet writes. An M writes like a B. I had the pleasure of admiring a few, and writing with them, a few times. However, I am more into Italian pens :).

Beautiful stuff, though.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I have a black resin guilloche model that looks very similar to those. I received it as a gift about 8 years ago and only used it a few times because i thought it was much to fancy and was worried about losing or damaging it. It was the nicest pen I owned for many years but I always grabbed my Safari or VP and left it in the box.

The parts are very high quality, the construction and design are very nice, and the nib is a nice smooth, wet writer. Mine is a fine that writes like a medium to me... much too wide. For that reason and the fact that it is just not my style it will probably find its way on to the marketplace sometime soon.

I do like a lot of the modern Faber-Castell FPs and am surprised that they aren't talked about more on FPN.

/Woody

I have the ebony version and it is a beautiful pen. Everything about it shouts quality and it came in a nice display box that you have a hard time putting away in a drawer or closet. Balance for me is perfect and the style is stunning.

We stomped on the terra-

Lord Buckley said that

I own a Graf von Faber Castell fountain pen in pernambuco wood. I posted a little review in the review section. Do a search and you'll find it. I am very satisfied with the quality of the pen and the nib. Immaculate quality. It's top-heavy when posted though and only cartridge-converter filled. But otherwise the pen is very nice. I love the proprietary design of these pens, also. Very unique! You should be able to get a new one for about $350 or a used one for even less. Worth the money for sure!

Ah, you see, you should have asked whether anybody has any of the Faber castell pens of the year, especially the wooden and silver ones, like the Pernambuco, Grenadilla, Ebony or silver editions. :)

Do note that their nibs are very wet writes. An M writes like a B. I had the pleasure of admiring a few, and writing with them, a few times. However, I am more into Italian pens :).

Beautiful stuff, though.

Warm regards, Wim

So, are their F nibs comparable to that of Montblanc's F nibs?

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Do note that their nibs are very wet writes. An M writes like a B. I had the pleasure of admiring a few, and writing with them, a few times. However, I am more into Italian pens :) .

Beautiful stuff, though.

Warm regards, Wim

In writing width? Probably.

In feel? No.

Personally I prefer the Faber Castell nibs, even though they are a little smaller.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Do note that their nibs are very wet writes. An M writes like a B. I had the pleasure of admiring a few, and writing with them, a few times. However, I am more into Italian pens :) .

Beautiful stuff, though.

Warm regards, Wim

In writing width? Probably.

In feel? No.

Personally I prefer the Faber Castell nibs, even though they are a little smaller.

Warm regards, Wim

Physically smaller nibs? That would be a little disappointing, because I like large MB 149 sized nibs! As for nib feel, that sounds good.

Montblanc 145, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib

Physically smaller nibs? That would be a little disappointing, because I like large MB 149 sized nibs! As for nib feel, that sounds good.

The pen is relatively small and thin, so a larger nib wouldn't look right. For the girth of the pen it is quite big, though.

It writes sssssssmmmmmmmoooooooootttttttttthhhhhhhhhlllllllllyyyyyyyy, just glides over the paper, totally effortless. FC makes very nice nibs indeed.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Whoops, I was thinking of Graf's Pen of the Years. I wonder what the 2008 one will look like.

Montblanc 145, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib

The Graf von Faber Castell's nib might not be large, but it is a trouble-free absolutely reliable thing that screams quality in every possible way. Also, Faber Castell's customer service is one of the most generous out there, on par probably with Pelikan's very good service. They are seriously committed to making their customers happy (which is, as we all know, not the case with every pen company).

I have an Ambition (One of my favorite pen names on the market, so appropriate) that I've never really used as a regular writer. I bought it in an unresearched excitement when my inner collector awoke after receiving a Cross ATX as a gift. I think I found it scratchy when I first bought it a few years ago, but recently I re-inked it and it seems smooth and nice now, I still don't really use it. I'll give it another chance soon. The Ambition is the lowest end of their fountain pen line, though. I've always lusted after the upper level of Faber, their aesthetic completely matches what I want in a pen.

I have a number of the pens, excellent quality and workmanship. If you like thick pens, these are not for you.

Never a problem when nib hits the paper, one of the few pens I do not have to get tuned before it is filled with ink.

IMHO the nib is the right size for the width of the pen.

Waiting to see what the pen of the year 2008 looks like. Can not afford one but I can dream with the best of them.

I love Graf von Faber-Castell. Our company is the authorised distributor in Asia so I get them at very good price too. However, the silver parts of the pen ten to become blackish grey over time due to oxidisation. I wonder if anyone knows how to clean this up???

Thanks for any advice.

However, the silver parts of the pen ten to become blackish grey over time due to oxidisation.

Are you talking about the old-production pens that were silver-plated instead of rhodinated/platinated (current production)? The current production pens don't tarnish.

Yes, it's the silver plated one I am talking about. But I only bought it a few years ago so I thought it was not really old production as such. May be Vietnam is too humid and that contributes to the problem too.

I love Graf von Faber-Castell. Our company is the authorised distributor in Asia so I get them at very good price too. However, the silver parts of the pen ten to become blackish grey over time due to oxidisation. I wonder if anyone knows how to clean this up???

Thanks for any advice.

Well, you can use any of the usual silver cleaning cloths or a good pen polish.

I would advise the use of a wax or similar to protect the silver, though, because eventually cleaning it up willdamage the silver coat. Tryphon.it (Giovanni Abarate) is an example of a company which sells wax for protection of pens, amongst others.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Ah, nice feedback! Thank you.

> Are you talking about the old-production pens that were silver-plated instead of

> rhodinated/platinated (current production)? The current production pens don't tarnish.

This might explain one model that I did not find in the main site. There is a solid silver, a platinum plated with resin? section, and a Rhodium plated. This last one is a ghost pen,

that keeps vanishing as I look. If you have one of these models, would you please share the nipple's material? Is it gold 18k like the nib?

Luca