Dani Trio Tosca

OldGriz

Pictures from Kevin Cheng (Winedoc), Writing from Old Griz

First Impressions 5/5
I just received this pen from Kevin (Winedoc).... to put it mildly, I am extremely impressed...

Appearance 5/5
This pen is Green Rippled Ebonite and it the fit and finish is amazing...
The cap was a wide (5/16") gold band tastefully engraved Tosca Trio USA in two lines under the clip and the serial number engraved at the back
The clip is tastefully shaped and also gold

Design 5/5
This is a larger pen than I am used to measuring 5.5" long capped and a humongous 7.125" posted. The body and cap diameter is .625" and steps down to .400 where you hold it on the section.
Overall, when I first got the pen in my hand I thought it would be uncomfortable due to the diameter and length. Well I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was extremely comfortable to write with unposted. Posted, it is just too too big to be comfortable for me... Of course, if you have hands like King Kong that might work for you.

Nib 5/5
Here I was very pleasantly surprised.
The nib is a steel Bock nib in medium. It is butter smooth.... probably the smoothest out of the box steel nib I have ever used.
I loaded the pen with J Herbin Lierre Sauvage (A gorgeous green, what else would I use) and would rate the wetness as 7/10 with a bit of toning.
This pen can also be refitted with a Bexley gold nib if you so desire and with to purchase one from Howard at Bexley... I don't know why you would want to however.

Filling System 4/5
Only because I am not a big fan of C/C fillers...
The pen arrived with a push/pull converter that filled to the top. These are real nice as they give more pressure when water flushing to change inks.

Cost and Value 5/5
I paid $90.00 for this pen on eBay from one of Kevin's auctions... definitely worth every penny paid.
This BTW, was a fantastic price as the original price was a lot higher... but then what do you expect from The Griz... :rolleyes:

Conclusion 29/30
Unfortunately, this pen is no longer made or imported and Kevin said it was the last he had...
IF you can find one, I would definitely say grab it....
The pen was also available with a gold nib at extra cost, but after writing with the steel see no reason for it. Edited by OldGriz

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGriz

• Shelley

• Opus104

• triojoe

SHUT! UP! In a good way. :ltcapd:

Pens from other companies in that lovely green ripple ebonite go for 2-3 times as much. An amazing deal on a gorgeous pen. Good get Griz! :thumbup:

happiness isn't caused

Thanks for the review! I really like the shape of this pen as well as the pattern and colors. Love the tapered section too! Looks like you'll surely enjoy this one. :thumbup:

Glad you got it. I watched that auction and really had to hold back. I have to say that I think the Dani steel nibs are really wonderful, if you want a supersmooth firm nib. I think you will get lots of enjoyment out of that pen. j

AWESOME looking pen, OldGriz! The ebonite is sweet, and I love the cap band. Nice catch!

R.ticle One

Edited by R.ticle One

It seems rather unfair of you to post a review of a great looking pen when it is no longer available. Congratulations on adding the Tosca to your arsenal!

Ohh, very nice pen and I like the ink! Howdoes it compare to PR Avocado?

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Ohh, very nice pen and I like the ink! Howdoes it compare to PR Avocado?

It is a brighter dark green than PR Avocado... I have used both and like this better... a more distinctive green

AWESOME looking pen, OldGriz! The ebonite is sweet, and I love the cap band. Nice catch!

R.ticle One

There are some still available at:

triojoe.com

Check it out!