Pen Brands World Wide

Gerry

Oh, thought of another one that my aunt got me at that flea market (and I've searched on Google and even tried the German term for fountain pen, because the pen *looks* German to me----I could be wrong).

It's marked SYMETRA on the clip and is a syringe-filler now, but it looks like that might have been a replacement for the original piston-filler mechanism. The turning knob and cap jewels look and smell like they are made of black hard rubber. The words SYMETRA VACUUM are written parallel to the clip and 550 (or 556?) EN (or E-something) is written next to the turning knob. It's a nice-sized pen but it looks rather odd with the incongrous syringe-filling mechanism with Bock nib in it.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerry

• Lexaf

• Johnny Appleseed

• antoniosz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have one: The brand is "Royce" and I was told it is Italian. I'm not quite sure. It has a 14kt Warranted nib. I searched the Internet and turned up nothing. The imprint is clearly OEM and not an owner engraving. I will eventually post picture(s).

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 3 weeks later...

I know I have been remiss at working on this list, but Gerry, I would say lets go ahead and update. However, I really think we should do a bit of a Purge and work on a working definition of what a brand is. For example, I would purge all of the different LEs for Visconti and Aurora. Those are model names at best, and I don't think they belong in a Brand list.

A Brand should be the primary or sole indicator of manufacture on the pen. So a Sheaffer Balance says Sheaffer on it - it is a Sheaffer brand, not a balance brand. In some cases the brand may also indicate a manufacturer - such as a Gold Bond pen may say "Gold Bond / manufactured by National Pen Co". I would still call "Gold Bond" a brand name, because the pen would be sold and identified more with the Gold Bond name than with the National name (and Gold Bond pens exist without the National indicator). There are some grey areas, of course, but I think we can cut out a lot of entries that are clearly model names.

I think this may also be a good list to transfer over the the PenPedia Wiki site if that takes off.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

• 1 month later...

Bought one at a flea market today. It says "Well-Known" on the lever and WK in a circle on the lever tip. I didn't see it in the list. I know it's a "cheapy" it says Durium on the nib. It is a combination fountain pen/pencil.

• 4 weeks later...
I have one: The brand is "Royce" and I was told it is Italian. I'm not quite sure. It has a 14kt Warranted nib. I searched the Internet and turned up nothing. The imprint is clearly OEM and not an owner engraving. I will eventually post picture(s).

HI Myu, are you sure the pen name is not Royal? Royal is a brand name used on 40s and 50s by a famous Tourin shop ("La Stilografica") for their Fountain Pens. It's a small family shop but it is still run from the same family. I purchased a 1948 model (hooded nib, piston filler, celluloid body) few months ago. I'll post some pics as soon as possible.

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Ah, yes. Then I have one more...

It is called MaGus. from Milan, Italy on the 20s.

Here you can find some nice pics and some more info:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...21&hl=magus

I searched the internet but nothing again. I am just curious especially about the nib: is the "Aurora 3" nib of my pen some original or replacement? Any hint would help.

Thank you!

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a scan of the instruction sheet that came with the little "Convertible" fountain pen/pencil by "Victapen" of NY. I promised this scan long ago. Thanks to Kudzu I remembered! These are fun little pens.

I'll try to get a better scan when the creases flatten out a bit. The scan is 600dpi grayscale in a jpeg a little over 1 mb in size.

Victapen instruction paper

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

• 1 month later...

There is an Edinburgh pen manufacturer, starts with a "W" and is also the name of one of Sir Walter Scott's novels....

Waverley, that's it !!!!!!!!!

Not on list

Over here, quite a few of the pen manufacturers, were aslo, or primarily papermakers, Croxley (Dickinson), Onoto (Thomas De La Rue), Valentine(bought by Parker), to name a few. I do think there was a Waverley papermill, as the Water of Leith that runs through Edinburgh, once had 16 papermills on it.

et

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

There is an Edinburgh pen manufacturer, starts with a "W" and is also the name of one of Sir Walter Scott's novels....

Waverley, that's it !!!!!!!!!

I think that Waverly was the name of a pen, made by McNiven and Cameron. So the actual manufacturer isn't called Waverly. I believe they made some other pens with names of literary connection. Again, 'I think', that they moved from Edinburgh to Birmingham and manufactured mostly dip pens and other stationery or something. I read about them on the internet (you see, I was curious to see if there were any Scottish manufacturers) and can't find the info at the moment.

Patrick

EDIT: Andy's Pens is selling a McNiven and Cameron at the moment, he mentions a little about their history: http://www.andys-pens.ukhome.net/mc003.shtml

EDIT 2 (damn): Yes, looking through the list on the first post of this topic McNiven and Cameron are mentioned, but I also notice that 'Cameron' is also featured. As per the above link to Andy's Pens it would seem McNiven andd Cameron sometimes stamped their manufacturer's name as just 'Cameron'.

Edited by patrick1314

Publifhed According to the True Originall Copies

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I have several pens not listed.

Suprema, piston filer looks like a Pelikan 120, it's from the 60's I used it in elementary school. Maybe Portuguese made.

Skater, a late 60's copy of a Parker 75. Aerometric filler.

Creeks N' Creeks, an 80's low price pen. Impressive big nib. Cartridge.

Weli, piston filler, probably Portuguese.

Walker, a black plastic cartridge pen very low end market, early 80's.

Crest, Japanese, early 70's Sheaffer and Parker look alike. Aerometric filers.

President, maybe Japanese or Chinese, aerometric filer. Late 70's.

Labor, Portuguese piston filler, early 70's.

Pierre Dumont, 80's cartridge filer, German nib.

Enzo Varini, 90's cartridge filer, German nib but bought it new in Paris.

RUP, lever filer, Portuguese 50's. My grandfather owned this brand of low market pens. Ended production in the mid 60's.

Chronist, piston filer, another Pelikan 120 look alike from my elementary school days, late 60's probably Portuguese.

Hope this helps to make the list grow.

Cheers.

Joao

Edited by Joao

I was told that a member of the Dallas Pen Club, who has a collection numbering around 3,500 pens, has, as part of his collection, he has a section with 2,500 different brands of pen.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased on E-Bay an "ELF", which is a pen made for Edwards, Ludwig and Fuller a Kansas City, Missouri jewelry store. The pen is a chased BHR, c1920. The seller claimed a connection to Waterman. The nib appears to be a Waterman, but it could have been installed later.

Greg Koos

Bloomington Illinois

USA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On this shrunken globe, men can no longer live as strangers.

Adlai E. Stevenson

Goldring-Achat

I have a Goldring Achat that appears to be a Pelikan 400 knock-off. It is a piston filler. I do not know the country of origin.

I hope that this one hasn't been posted already.

I was going through some old pens I had and came across this.

Its clip says "MYAWADI"

could not find any reference to it on the internet.

I think I own an exact replica of the MYAWADI pen shown - will check and revert!

• 2 months later...

Some belgian brands

Remaining existing

Mercury (1948)

valeria Matta

Vintage

Bermond

Le Tigre (made mostly by CS

Tilkin

Mon bijou

Deffet

Pelletier (interesting around WW2 brand)

Just to add to the list:

I love my old Golden Rule ® Fountain Pen from the 1920s. Its motto is "Serves You Write." The company was in New York City.

Best,

Mars

"fortibus es in ero"

• 2 months later...

Craftsman (actually marked 'Craftsman No. 2')

Not the Sheaffer one but a sub-brand of the English maker Wyvern. I'll try and organise a picture along with the comparable marked Wyvern to show it's parentage.

Cheers

John