Delta Dolce Vita Oversize-Review

goodguy

After waiting for so long for my DVOS I finaly got it and here are my thoughts about this pen.

The moment I got the box from the mail I was amazed how big the box of this pen is.

Inside there is the famous tray with the ink bottle and the pen box with its unique eye dropper.

The look of the pen is truly beautiful.A combination of red body and black cap+the silver sterling ring on it make a truly big effect on the people who look at it.

Big is a word that fits this pen.Everything about it is BIG.

Big box,Big pen,Big nib,Big ink capacity (if you use the eye dropper).

When I took the pen first in my hand the effect of the pen is very unique.This is a fat pen,even compared to the MB 149 it is fat.

With the cap on the pen feels a bit heavy but once you take the cap off it feels relativly light for a pen this size.

After I filled the converter with ink I tried the nib and again the feeling of the pen in the hand is very unique of how fat it feels in the hand.Suprisingly the size of the pen doesnt make a bad writing experience,different yes but not bad.After few hours it felt complitly natural but somehow the thikness of the pen still makes me smile.

As expected the big millenium F nib is as smooth as butter and even has a slight springiness.It is simply a great nib and that is what I exactly expected.

The F nib feels like a M nib and thats fine by me cause I was always more of a M guy than a F one.

Another thing that amazed me was the overall quality of the pen.This pen was made in Italy but it feels like it was made by Mont Blanc.The only pen I own that compares to its quality is my MB 149.

Bottom line:

This pen is one of the best pens I ever tried and the feel,look of the pen and overall quality of the pen ranks this pen in the LE category (even though this isnt a LE pen).Its a nice added touch to have the pen with a serial number on the cap.

For those of you that like oversize pens I highly recomend this pen,I believe it will leave you amazed just like it did to me.

post-2027-1178664984_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1178665121_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1178665131_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1178665140_thumb.jpg

Respect to all

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• FrankB

• fatehbajwa

• omasfan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey goodguy, nice review, can you tell me a little more about the pen, how long is it (in the photos it almost looks short - maybe due to the width), also thats an interesting ink - how does that look on paper?

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

After waiting for so long for my DVOS I finaly got it and here are my thoughts about this pen.

This pen was made in Italy but it feels like it was made by Mont Blanc.

I hope that is not true. Otherwise I'd be appalled. No birdsplat here, but only beautiful orange resin :roflmho:

Thanks for the review and enjoy the great pen. I have the standard size and I love the sheer elegance of it. The

oversize would be too chunky for me.

This resin has something of a good celluloid. I guess that would be the capstone for Delta to make those barrels out of

true celluloid. But then, it's perfect the way it is, isn't it?

My nib is more on the stiff side but thanks to micromesh 12000 now very smooth.

Hey goodguy, nice review, can you tell me a little more about the pen, how long is it (in the photos it almost looks short - maybe due to the width), also thats an interesting ink - how does that look on paper?

The pen is close to 14cm long.

As for the ink.I didnt try it yet-sorry.

I added a picture to show you how long the pen is.

post-2027-1178731001_thumb.jpg

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

It is a great pen and truly oversize - no marketing gimmick in that label! I have one with a fine nib and the gold trim that I got at a great price well used but in very good condition. The nib is wonderful and I like the pen very much, but have yet to try it as an ED. ENJOY!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• 6 months later...

Hi goodguy,

Have finally taken the plunge to buy this after going through your recommendation.

I am slightly worried about the part where you say that the "fine" is like a "medium"(I mean the nib).

I have always been a medium user and am kinda worried about this now.

Neways...............whats done is done.

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom - George S Patton

Follow me on Twitter

Since I got my Dleta Israel 60 LE few days ago I thought it will be a good idea to write also a short review on my other Delta the Doce Vita Oversize.This is also to help one of our FPN members that is considering to buy this magnificent pen and want to know more about it.

The 2 most dominant things you see about this pen is how beautiful this pen is and the sheer size of it.

The red "Lava" body is stuning and the sober black of the cap gives the pen a nice balance.I love this combination of black cap with red body.

The pen is about 14.5 cm long but its not the leangth rather then the thikness of the pen that makes this pen feel Sooo oversize.This is a chuncky pen and it feels like that.It doesnt feel very heavy even though that its not a very light weight either.It might take for some people a little time to adjust to writer with it because of the size of it but once you are pass this fase you find the pen is very well balanced and easy to write with.

The 18K Millenium nib is a big beautiful 2 tone nib.It is as you would expect a very smooth and responsive nib that leaves a wet line of ink.It has just a bit of spring to it but I would put it more toward the stiff side.

You can unscrew the nib just like a Pelikan pen so I guess in theory you could get yourself other nib sizes and change them as you like.

The pen has the combination of being a C/C and eye dropper filler.

The pen comes with its own eye dropper probebly just to remind you that this pen is an eye dropper.

I must admit I never filled the barrel with ink and just used the converter but if you use it as an eye dropper then the amount of ink you can poer down this BIG barrel will mean you probably wouldnt have to fill this pen again for a very very long time.

The last thing I want to add is the quality of this pen.The DVOS (Dolce Vita Oversize) is my second Italian pen and I never believed how well this pen is made.The quality of the pen is simply fantastic it feels very very solid and if I didnt know I would sware it was made by a German company.

If you are looking for a BIG pen this is a pen you should seriously consider.

post-2027-1195911436_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1195911444_thumb.jpg

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

Goodguy and Fateh : I have 2 of these Dolce Vita OS pens. One with a fine and the other with a medium nib.

I love them. Both worked flawlessly right out of the box, and had nice, very smooth nibs.

You wont go wrong with this pen.

Hey Wolverine 1,

As per goodguy, the F nib writes more like a M.( He mentions this in another review he has done on this pen)

I have always used M so am kinda worried that the M that I have ordered might not be to my liking.

Since you have both your comments please?

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom - George S Patton

Follow me on Twitter

Fateh- I purchased the pen with the medium a few years back, probably in 2003 or maybe early 2004. Mine seems to write like a regular sized medium. The fine nib however, isnt as fine as other fine nibs. I use medium nibs almost exclusively,and the medium on my Dolce Vita doesnt seem to be broader than my other med nibs. I think the medium nibs on my 2 Pelikan M-1000 pens are more like broads.

I dont know if the newer medium nibs on the Dolce Vita OS pens have changed in the past 3 or 4 years.

Sorry- I couldnt give you a more definitive answer.

I have a vermeil finish OS, and I wish I'd bought the silver trim. I have the regular Dolce Vita in silver and it is more elegant to my mind. Also, the vermeil did tarnish, which I know gold shouldn't do, but it happened when I carried the pen for a few days in a cheap pen case that came with some throwaround pens for my car. Must be something in the lining of the pouch, damage not offensive, but be warned.

I know it comes down to taste, but I thought I'd add my two pennies' before Fateh's order is processed...

Enjoy whichever one you get.

Nic

Good review. I didn't realize the OS was an ED as well.

I've had the full size for over a year. I sent it out and had Deb Kinney make it into a 0.7 stub about 6 months ago. Made a cool pen even cooler.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Fateh has a thread on the Wirting Instrument forum where he asks about eyedripper filler pens. I mentioned the Dolce Vita O/S, and we discussed the fact that its eyedropper capacity is not advertized or generally known. I did not realize it myself until I got my Dolce Vita in hand and saw the "O" ring and eyedropper. I still think not mentioning the eyedropper capability is a very curious omission on the part of Delta.

I have to agree about the quality of the Dolce Vita. It is a very well made pen, and I love the paintbrush-like nib. I have a M nib on mine that writes a true M line. It is wet, super smooth, a little springy and a sensual joy to use. I have commented in other threads that I prefer stub and italic nibs. My Delta nibs in general are so smooth and write so well out of the box that I am not even considering messing them up with customizations.

The physical size of the oversize DV is impressive. Yet it is a comfortable pen for me to use. I have several large pens like a MontyB 149, a Dani Densho, a Dani Takumi, a Dani Cum Laude, a Laban Mento and a couple Pel M-1000's. This bad boy is a bit larger than any of them, and striking in it color scheme.

Fateh, I am looking forward to your impressions of your new pen.

I received one as a gift a couple of weeks ago. I haven't inked it yet. Indecision, mostly.

What kind of inks does it really like? I don't think the orange ink that "comes with" is very useful.

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Andy, I agree that the orange ink that comes with the Dolce Vita doesn't seem too useful. When I hold my pen in my hand, it just cries out for a color that contrasts with that lovely fluorescent barrel. I have been using black Penman ink in mine, though the pen has responded very well to any ink I have thrown at it.

I received one as a gift a couple of weeks ago. I haven't inked it yet. Indecision, mostly.

What kind of inks does it really like? I don't think the orange ink that "comes with" is very useful.

Andy

Hi Andy

You have really nice friends buying you such a wonderful and expensive pens.

I dont really use my DV a lot because even though its a great pen its still not as good as my Paragon.

I like taking it with me when I feel like partying.The vibrant red colour of the barrel always makes me happy.

I will use regular quink colour with the pen with no problems.

As I said though I use the converter and not as an eye dropper.

Did you see my thread about my new pen ? the Delta Israel 60 Special LE

What a beautiful unique pen.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

Mine gets filled with Noodlers Habanero each October, in honor of the season. The Habanero ink is almost, but not quite, the same color as the orange barrel on the pen. In November, I switch over to Havana Brown, which also goes well with this color pen. I have also used black ink from time to time. I wouldn't dream of putting blue ink in this pen!

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Andy

Hi Andy

You have really nice friends buying you such a wonderful and expensive pens.

I dont really use my DV a lot because even though its a great pen its still not as good as my Paragon.

I like taking it with me when I feel like partying.The vibrant red colour of the barrel always makes me happy.

I will use regular quink colour with the pen with no problems.

As I said though I use the converter and not as an eye dropper.

Did you see my thread about my new pen ? the Delta Israel 60 Special LE

What a beautiful unique pen.

The pen has an interesting backstory. There is this fellow who used to be on FPN who has little patience for pens that don't meet his standards. He also doesn't like to be "hassled" with returning them or getting them improved, etc. He has now sent me two pens that he no longer wished to own. He asked for nothing in return. I did make a contribution to a charity in his honor to thank him for the gift. BTW, I'm not the only FPN member to have been the recipient of this individual's largess.

The pen is not one I would have ever bought for myself. It is indeed stunning, but most of my pens are rather more understated. I'm not sure I'd be all that comfortable carrying around a pen of that sort for use, so I may use it with the deskstand if I ever resume work in a more formal office.

I did notice your Israel 60th anniversary pen aquisistion. Again, quite a handsome pen and certainly a meaningful statement about an important event. Again, not in the daily user category for me but it would certainly be a showpiece if I had a suitible venue. I'm more partial to the Ariel Kullock silver "reworked" "51" Dov was marketing. That is a pen I could both use and show off. However, not on my current budget and I don't imagine my pen "sugardaddy" will buy one and decide he doesn't like it (in my direction).

Enjoy your new pen, though. It is absolutely stunning!

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Honestly, I don't use my Dolce Vita (medium size, one below the oversize) much. While I liked the pen at the beginning, its nib is like a chisel although it writes nicely. But then, I don't like the cartridge converter. After having owned the Delta for a year now, I am not as impressed with it as I was in the beginning. It's a good pen but that was it. When looking for exciting resins, I find the Conway Stewart pens much more thrilling and also much more comfortable to use. The orange resin is really nice, but then the Italians make beautiful celluloids that are much nicer. I think the pen's barrel is literally like a barrel and is not as comfy for writing for longer periods as pens that taper towards the section. The oversize would be actually pretty much useless for me unless I'd put it in my pen cabinet and look at it. But as a user, this one is just too chunky and not comfortable in my hands. Don't get me wrong, I love big pens. I use and love the Pelikan M1000 which is a wonderful pen to hold and use. It is truly big but not as unwieldy as the Delta OS. The Delta Dolce Vita is definitely a very proprietary design, but it's not one of my favorite pens. Of course, others might think totally different which is ok.

Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy yours.

Edited by dupontfan