Omas Ogiva Autumn celluloid RB(a review of sorts)

handlebar

As most here,i use fountain pens most of the time.But,as a previous thread states,i use rollerballs for those projects that i cannot use a FP.Like duplicate copies at work,etc.

Well i just wanted to share some photos of a new rollerball purchase last week.The Omas Ogiva Autumno Celluloid RB.

I really like the size and weight of this pen.And the colour of the celluloid?With Omas that goes without saying.They are the kings of beautiful celluloid in my

humble opinion.

The pen is the standard Ogiva size and being a rollerball,not much needs to be mentioned about writing capability.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/Ogivasmall.jpg

The Ogiva bears the gold Greek key on the cap and not the pen body itself.This is wise as it really lends to an overall aesthetically pleasing appearance.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/ogivasmall7.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/ogva6small.jpg

This pen is the same length as the older Paragon and is a wee bit thinner.Not by much though.A very nice pen to hold.Balances well.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/ogivasmall3.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/ogivasmall2.jpg

I found this gem on ebay for under $150.Most retails on Omas celluloid in the roller ball department usually go for $300 and up.Glad i found it.

The colours certainly do remind one of autumn as the greens,browns and golds remind one of the changing leaves.

if you see one for a good price,snatch it up.I have a feeling that older Omas pens are going to be a rare thing in a few years.Especially items like this.I don't see many for sale.Being a big fan of Omas and low wage earner makes it tough to acquire these beauties very often.So i have to save and save and be at the right place at the right time.I have a feeling most of us are like that.

Jim

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• gylyf

• slimnib

• CharlieB

Great review of a great pen. I had been planning to buy the fountain pen version for a couple of years, but I procrastinated too long, and Omas discontinued them. I stumbled across one with a broad nib at the Philadelphia pen show last year. I quickly purchased it, even though I prefer medium nibs. I love looking at the autumn colors on the pen's body and cap, and think they are perfectly matched by the gold trim. I'll probably send it to Richard Binder or John Mottishaw to grind the nib into something more to my style.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Great review of a great pen. I had been planning to buy the fountain pen version for a couple of years, but I procrastinated too long, and Omas discontinued them. I stumbled across one with a broad nib at the Philadelphia pen show last year. I quickly purchased it, even though I prefer medium nibs. I love looking at the autumn colors on the pen's body and cap, and think they are perfectly matched by the gold trim. I'll probably send it to Richard Binder or John Mottishaw to grind the nib into something more to my style.

I would like to own the fountain pen version as well but rarely see them and when i do they are not cheap.Then again,what Omas pen is :roflmho:

So when this RB came up at that price,i jumped.

And i concur that the gold trim matches the colour scheme so well.I'm amazed that this model didn't get the attention it deserves.Maybe due to the Ogiva style,which doesn't have the popularity of the faceted Paragon.If this were a Paragon or milord,it would be very expensive.Celluloid does that :thumbup:

Jim

I once bought the FP version of this pen, in HT trim, at TJ Maxx for less than $150. My first and only Sumgai. I sold it a long time ago, though, as the shape of the pen just doesn't suit my hand. Beautiful celluloid, though. Best,

David

This TJ Maxx scenario really has me intrigued.Ever since that was announced,i have tried every store in my area(8 stores)and the best i could come up with in a year was a few Cross ballpoints.Maybe it is completely location dependent.I will keep trying.If i can find something like that at TJ Maxx,i will buy them all.

Jim

This TJ Maxx scenario really has me intrigued.Ever since that was announced,i have tried every store in my area(8 stores)and the best i could come up with in a year was a few Cross ballpoints.Maybe it is completely location dependent.I will keep trying.If i can find something like that at TJ Maxx,i will buy them all.

Jim

There seems to be neither rhyme nor reason to the TJ Maxx thing. This one was in Memphis, and it had two OMAS pens (both of which I bought and later sold): the Ogiva Autunno and a white 360 Mezzo, also on sale for a song. Since that day, I stop whenever I see a TJ Maxx, but have never seen another fountain pen. Best,

David

PS Congratulations on the Arco Milord, it's a beauty.

Thanks David.Yes,i keep checking as well.Maybe i will find something.Omas is my favourite brand so the odds are not astronomical.

And as for the Arco: I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Jim

I love the way Omas's look and write, however, two of the three I have recently purchased have leaked.

Strange, Does anyone have that problem with Omas pens.

Harv.

I love the way Omas's look and write, however, two of the three I have recently purchased have leaked.

Strange, Does anyone have that problem with Omas pens.

Harv.

I had one with a leaky issue.I cleaned it out,unscrewed the nib,dabbed some low grade glue from a glue stick on the feed threads,and have never had a problem since. But i wouldn't suggest glue.Use silicone from some of the pen parts dealers.My new Arco seems ok so far but one never knows with Omas.Yes,they have had a few issues with that.

Not sure why it still occurs after this many years.But their beauty and writing quality help me to overlook a lightly weepy nib.Never a real problem.

Jim

Very nice Jim! I have the same pen in the Fountain Pen version, it's my absolute favorite.

Jim Couch

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

The fountain pen version is still on my wish list. Beautiful material and a classical shape. I love the Ogiva very much. A great pen just right in size.

Spectacular color combination, with all those autumnal greens and golds and then the gold trim to top it all off!

Does it take standard (Schimdt) RB cartridges, or do they have to be Omas?