Conklin Duragraph tobacco

handlebar

Before buying this pen,i read both of the reviews here of the same model in Cobalt Blue.I prefer browns,so when this tobacco coloured model came up on an auction site,i bid.After the low $ win,i awaited the mail carrier with anticipation.

The photographs on the auction site were well taken and i was not disappointed with the colour variation.

These photos here are mine taken with a Nikon D50.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/small.jpg

It looks even better in bright light.

Now for the specifics:

Size-- This is a BIG pen.About the same size as the Omas Paragon and a wee bit fatter at the cap point up.Posted,which is just too large,is a whopping 6-3/4" long and unposted,my preference,is only 5".At 5",it is perfect in my hand.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/Duragraph3.jpg

Nib--The nib was sent uninked and new as a medium.It writes very smooth and does well.A decent writer,not much to comment on.A good workplace pen.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/Nib1.jpg

Filling system: C/C as usual.Enough said there.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/Duragraph1.jpg

Colour/design--I really like brown pens and this is no exception.Well designed,except for the large size.I found it balanced well without the cap.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/end.jpg

Price--The retail on this pen was $130 and i paid less than half that.So not too bad.Conklin have been having issues with thoir customer service i notice and i hope all stays well with this model.I now have two Conklins and they are both doing fine.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/Duragraph2.jpg

Overall--A good pen for the price.As i brought out above,i use this as a workplace pen.That way if something bad happens to it,i won't cry as i would if it were an Omas. :crybaby:

Thanks for letting me share.

Jim

Jim

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• shahrincamille

• PaulK

• rroossinck

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful pen Jim! I have always loved the look of Conklins but their erratic performance has held me back. Glad that it's workin' up to par for you. Is it a karat gold nib (sorry if I missed that in your review).

My best,

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

It is a 14k gold nib.Yes,they have been erratic.But i figure that even Omas have their lemons at high prices.So i gambled.So far it is paying off.

Jim

The pen looks delicious, literally and figuratively . Reminds me of a chocolate caramel swirl... I don't get the tobacco reference though. It would make an interesting cigar with the multicolored wrapper.

Everyman, I will go with thee

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge

I wish this pen came in gold trim instead of silver trim. I think the combination of gold trim on a brown pen is absolutely perfect.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Idigit, Handlebar. That's the next color on my list, if it should happen to come along at such a reasonable price. Well...that one or the dark green one. That's a pretty color, too. Glad it writes well! No ink starvation? Good to hear!

Kurland, we need to get together so I can show you a couple of Conklins that write well (believe it or not, after all of my complaining, I do finally have a couple that write really well).

Des Moines any time soon?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Now that looks like a very nice leather-bound "Pride And Prejudice" book that the pen's sitting on.

May I know who's the publisher of that book?

Shahrin B)

Now that looks like a very nice leather-bound "Pride And Prejudice" book that the pen's sitting on.

Shahrin B)

The book is published by Dalmation Press of Tennessee.

Jim

Shahrin B)

Jim

Thanks Jim :thumbup:

I'm also a collector of fine books, especially leather-bound ones, apart from fountain pens. In fact, collecting fine books was the one that started me on to fountain pens, which had now reached the point of no return [and a precipitous decline in bank account balance as a consequence]. Initially collecting fountain pens was meant to be a side hobby, to complement the book-collecting one. One can't be seen to be carrying an el-cheapo, throwaway plastic ballpoint costing a few cents when one is carrying a fine, leather-bound book costing hundreds of dollars, right? :embarrassed_smile:

Instead I've ended up with 2 collecting hobbies running parallel to each other :headsmack:

And my wife is tearing her hair bald as we rapidly run out of empty spaces in the house, mainly occupied by the books but also the pen boxes that came wit the pens... and inks! :ltcapd:

Shahrin :bunny01:

Shahrin B)

Jim

Thanks Jim :thumbup:

I'm also a collector of fine books, especially leather-bound ones, apart from fountain pens. In fact, collecting fine books was the one that started me on to fountain pens, which had now reached the point of no return [and a precipitous decline in bank account balance as a consequence]. Initially collecting fountain pens was meant to be a side hobby, to complement the book-collecting one. One can't be seen to be carrying an el-cheapo, throwaway plastic ballpoint costing a few cents when one is carrying a fine, leather-bound book costing hundreds of dollars, right? :embarrassed_smile:

Instead I've ended up with 2 collecting hobbies running parallel to each other :headsmack:

And my wife is tearing her hair bald as we rapidly run out of empty spaces in the house, mainly occupied by the books but also the pen boxes that came wit the pens... and inks! :ltcapd:

Shahrin :bunny01:

Books,fountain pens and the like all go together nicely.I started collecting old books many years ago and love them.My library includes books from 1735 to now

(many music related books) and quite a few from the early 19th century.

Leather bound books are harder to find at good prices.But when they appear,i snatch them up at used book shoppes and Goodwill stores.

Jim