Hark! The Herald by Edison Pen

MikeW

The usual caveats for my first pen review – errors or omissions are mine, my apologies in advance if I have done a poor job – its me, not the pen!

First Impressions

I first came across the Herald when I was checking out Brian Gray's website (Edison Pen) . Shortly thereafter, I noticed that John Cullen had posted his impressions of the pen; this confirmed my decision to buy one. I should add that John made a number of valuable comments on the design of the pen that I have reiterated here because of their potential importance to prospective purchasers.

When the pen arrived in its neatly labeled, bright white box, I began to feel the care and thoughtfulness that went into the making of this pen. The box contained a letter and was filled with bubble wrap to make sure no harm came to its contents. The typewritten letter was personally addressed to me from Brian and provided written assurance of his commitment to stand behind his work – not just for defects but well after the sale – nib adjustments, buffing out scratches, etc… for no charge. Small nit to Brian – don't forget to sign the letter! :) And then, at last, there it was, buried in bubble wrap, my new red-black ebonite Herald fountain pen, held securely in a clear plastic tube with red caps on each end.

Appearance and Finish

My Herald is truly a beautiful pen to behold – highly polished red-black ebonite, sleek and clean lines, set off by a long straight clip of plated 24 k gold. Note that the pen is also available in black and green-black ebonite as well that Brian is now offering a clip with a slight curve to it – I think I might stick with the straight one. The pen is clearly designed after the Sailor King of Pens; most people would be hard pressed to distinguish the two from a few feet away. It looks even more beautiful than the great pictures that Brian has of it on Pencraftonline (picture below from Pencraftonline). You can sense the craftsmanship that went into this pen.

Design/Size/Weight

As I wrote above, the pen is virtually identical to the Sailor KOP with a long cigar-like shape but tapered at the ends. The detailed specifications are as follows:

Weight w/ Cap 29g, w/o Cap 14g

Diameter – Cap .595", Body .575"

Length - Capped 6", Uncapped 5 1/8"

By feel, the pen seems about the same as an MB149 and a Waterman Edson but less than a Pelikan 1000. In terms of length, it is about a ½" longer than the MB149, CS Churchill and Pelikan 1000.

As I noted above, John Cullen identified several aspects of the design that I believe are worth repeating for the benefit of prospective purchasers, as they might be an issue for them (they weren't for me):

1. The cap does not post on the back,

2. The barrel and cap are not threaded - there is a black plastic insert into the barrel that has a gold colored ring with protruding black threads. When the section is screwed into the barrel, the threads appear as part of the section, and

3. The cap is not threaded - there is a black plastic insert that fits inside the cap. Looking at the cap, you can see the black cap band and if you look inside the cap you can see that the threading is part of the black plastic that inserts into the cap. When the pen is closed, you see the thin black cap between the barrel and the cap. I understand that Brian may be changing this black insert to ebonite for current and past purchasers. I can see no reason for me to change, at least right now.

Some remarks concerning these points. The pen is sufficiently large that not posting the cap should not be a problem for anyone. I often write without a cap in any event so this had no effect on my writing experience. The fact that the barrel and cap are not threaded, while unusual, actually avoids the problem of over tightening, causing either the barrel or cap to crack. In this case, the worst that happens is the black plastic insert cracks - it is easily replaced. The cap does screw securely onto the barrel – trust me – I have no concern about it ever opening up. Finally, the fact that you see the thin black insert between the barrel and cap rather than a "continuous" line of ebonite to me is a matter of taste. I think it is an interesting look, however, Brian can now accommodate those who would prefer that ebonite look.

The pen is also offered in a variety of nibs. I chose to upgrade from a steel nib to a Bexley 18k medium nib for an additional cost of $100. I wanted the pen to have a nib worthy of its beauty. Anyone who has ever written with a Bexley pen is familiar with the term "buttery smooth" and this pen/nib combination fits that bill nicely. The pen writes "right out of the box". Brian adjusted the wetness of the nib to his taste; I like mine more on the wet side so it appears that I might need a small adjustment. Not a fault, just a difference in taste.

Filling System

The pen accepts cartridges or a large converter (which is included) with the pen. I loaded the converter up with some Delta Blue ink and it works just fine.

Cost/Value

The total cost of the pen was $260, including the $100 nib upgrade. By comparison, the cost of this pen is a little more than a Bexley Poseidon or a Pelikan Grand Place and slightly less than a Waterman Exception or Parker Duofold Centennial Pearl (all pens that I own). I have no doubt that the pen is fairly priced. In fact, I would go further and call it a great bargain because I know that Brian will look after this pen for me. That peace of mind is worth a lot!

Overall Impression/Conclusion

The Herald by Edison Pen is now a treasured part of my pen collection – one that will be always be filled and used. I am so pleased with this pen; I can't wait to show it off to my pen club. Thanks Brian, for a job well done! By the way Brian, can we talk about that Menlo in Blue Trustone?

PS. I am not sure what category this belongs in so I will leave it as a PS. Brian kept me abreast of my pen order and has responded quickly and politely to any and all of my emails. We end up dealing with a lot of people in the pen world, there are a few bad apples, most are pretty reasonable, and then there is that smaller group you just love to deal with because they are honest, fair and they back up their words with action. For me, Brian Gray belongs in that smaller group and I will "reward" him with more orders in the future.

Edited by MYU

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MikeW

• Sno

• jmkeuning

• bgray

Top Posters In This Topic

Good review. I like the curve contour of the barrel and cap. Being ebonite I suppose it is light in the hands.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

Nice review and truly a beautiful pen!

Agree with Brian's work, communications, and his committment to after-purchase service. Just purchased my second pen from Brian (this one will be a gift to my son -- his first fountain pen).

No affiliation either, just a satisfied customer.

My best,

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Nice review and a great looking pen. Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Wow! This pen is now on the top of my wish list.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Good review. I like the curve contour of the barrel and cap. Being ebonite I suppose it is light in the hands.

Yes, the pen is still relatively light for a large pen - it feels about the same as an MB 149 which is about a 1/2" shorter.

With apologies to the writers of "Apocolypse Now" - "I love the smell of ebonite in the morning ...". I have always had a love for ebonite and own several pens in different flavours of it - some Bexleys (woodgrain and chocolate), Waterman (dark brown), Marlen (green), Conway Stewart (black). It always feels so nice in my hand and that smell.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

Wow, I just checked out the pencraft page. There are some amazing pens there! Especially with me being such a fan of ebonite.

Thank you for the review, this pen in this color is going on my wishlist. Though the green and black looks snazzy as well. :)

happiness isn't caused

Another thank you for this fine review.

From Brian's website it seems that he may be offering customized nibs in the future. As one who favors a cursive italic nib, this looks like a pen in my future also.

Best regards,

Alec

http://files.alecsatin.com/2010/postcard-exchange-participant.png

Another thank you for this fine review.

From Brian's website it seems that he may be offering customized nibs in the future. As one who favors a cursive italic nib, this looks like a pen in my future also.

Best regards,

Alec

Yes. I will be offering customized nibs by Mottishaw sometime after Thanksgiving.

I received your email, Alec. You'll hear from me soon.

I can only add to the pleasure this pen brings- I have the same one complete with Bexley F-

Regarding the KofP comparison- the Herald is thinner and thus the taperting is less prominent than with the Sailor. For two years, I felt the Sailor girth was appropriate for me, now that I have the Herald, I have changed my mind- seems Brian got it quite right.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Great review! I went immediately to Brian's website and I have just ordered the "Herald" in black ebonite, standard nib. Now I just have to wait, which means weeks (months?!), for it to arrive via post. Living in the Caribbean does have its downsides. :)

Great review! I went immediately to Brian's website and I have just ordered the "Herald" in black ebonite, standard nib. Now I just have to wait, which means weeks (months?!), for it to arrive via post. Living in the Caribbean does have its downsides. :)

Which one did you get. Details!

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Very cool. I have the Herald with grooves. I put some pics in the photo forum.

I've been using it for a while now and I just love it.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got the Herald in green/black ebonite with the Taccia . I'm very impressed and will add a review soon.

I have just received my new Herald with Bexley nib. What a joy it is to write with, I couldn't be more pleased with it. Brian is a true craftsman and it was such a pleasure to deal with him.

Robert