Diamine Orange ink review

Ann Finley

NOTE: Image re-scanned for better color representation 3-14-09

This delightful color did become available in cartridges shortly after review was written.

The review image was scanned at 300 dpi. I did have to adjust the color the best I could, as it looked too red, and I still don't think the image as displayed is 100% accurate, but is close on my monitor. The actual color is a true orange--not orange-red or orange-yellow. It is a delightful ink!

http://webpages.charter.net/annletters/ink%20reviews/Diamine%20Orange%20600x843%20color%20correct.jpg
As most of you know, Diamine inks, with the exception of the Registrar's ink, are not waterproof. I have no info on the pH level or fade resistance of this ink.

This makes a great Halloween ink if you don't already have one. :)

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Ann Finley

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ann Finley

• mucephei

• rogerb

• cowdad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The image isn't far off on my monitor.

This is the only real orange I know of. I'd use it more, but it reminds me too much of Clemson.

The image isn't far off on my monitor.

This is the only real orange I know of. I'd use it more, but it reminds me too much of Clemson.

Hey!!! Careful there, cowdad. There's more Tigers here than you might realize. You must be from one of those schools that regularly hear our victorious roar. ;) Personally, I'm a big fan of Diamine Orange just because I like bright, true orange. Great stuff! Doesn't hurt that it reminds me of my alma mater either.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• 6 months later...

Yes I find it a lovely clean colour, a bit more so than Ann's example indicates on my monitor.

It goes well with my Fine-nibbed Delta Dolce Vita Oversize :)

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

It matches perfectly to my orange LE VP, which I use nearly every day.

CURRENT STABLE:

(2) Danitrio Tac Carry II / Xezo Architect / (2)(1920's era) Redipoint Flex / Libelle Vortex / Orange LE Pilot VP/ Mont Blanc Classique 144 / Dunhill Sidecar / Pilot 823 Clear Demonstrator / TWSBI 580 / Stipula Passaporto LE / Kaweco Sport WISH LIST:

MB Boheme / Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver / Pelikan M800 (clear demo) / Stipula Da Vinci / Visconti Opera Master / Delta Dolcevita Federico Oversize / Franklin-Cristoph 19 / Franklin-Christoph Model 25 w/ Masuyama nib

• 2 weeks later...

Magnificent my dear!

Simply magnificent!

I'll be saving for my own to replace my Private Reserve Tangerine Dream.

Cheers,

Shamouti

Here is a calibrated scan I just made, in an effort to show the color better. It's correct in the file (Adobe RGB color space) and to help visualize it on your screen I matted it with a thin white border to show the paper color and then a gray matte. The matte is 50% gray and should be colorless, so judge the color next to that.

post-16460-1211129492_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to add that I recently received a sample of this ink and will be buying a bottle very soon. I've tried a lot of orange inks and this is by far the most on-target "true" orange I've seen. In a nice wet writer, especially in the .8mm stub I have it in at the moment, it is stunning.

Diamine aced this one.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that Diamine now sell this colour in cartridge form as I had a couple sent in the post with my last ink order. I'm not likely to put them in yet but this review was helpful. Thanks.

• 7 months later...

Just took some delivery of this from these recommendations.

This ink is truly Orange, I am tasting orange juice as I use it, truly! Never has ink brought out any other sense!

In the flesh it is more vibrant and brighter than is reproduced (by my laptop, anyway) by the scans.

It is certainly orange though, perhaps one of the better named Diamine inks!

Greg

Member of the No.1 Club

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did end up using up my cartridge and very nice it was too. The only thing stopping me from buying some more is the fact that misterh has sent me a sample of Noodler's Habanero Orange which is now in my orange Tombow. (That's a nice colour too, though more of a burnt orange shade.)

Diamine Orange is a true Orange colour.

Thanks!!!

I recently rescanned the review and hope to get it posted soon. It should look more like the calibrated scan that JDlugosz did above, which is more like the actual color of the ink.

Best, Ann

I love it....it goes nicely with my Delta DVOS ....and JDlugosz's scan looks absolutely spot-on to me!

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying a bottle of this at the South West Pen Show. I found some text I had written with this ink on my notebook at work and I was shocked at how bright it is compared with Habanero Orange. This is one of my favourites, now.

Great review, a public service! Thanks.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

• 2 weeks later...

Love the color, BUT - it leaves a gummy, chalky residue on the nib which seems to grow the longer I leave the nib exposed to air. I put it in my Recife, which has a cap that doesn't seal perfectly, and this goop would grow on the nib even while capped. Uncapped, this will happen after about an hour of use. Does anyone else have this problem?

KoR

Love the color, BUT - it leaves a gummy, chalky residue on the nib which seems to grow the longer I leave the nib exposed to air. I put it in my Recife, which has a cap that doesn't seal perfectly, and this goop would grow on the nib even while capped. Uncapped, this will happen after about an hour of use. Does anyone else have this problem?

KoR

The only pen I've ever had anything strange happen with, with this ink, is my Decimo--a little ball of ink forms on the tip of the nib (this has happened with other inks, too, with that pen.)

I regularly use the Diamine Orange in my Lamy Flame with a 1.1 nib and in a Pelikan M200 with a fine nib and have no problems at all with the ink in these pens or other pens besides the Decimo that I've used it in.

Best, Ann

• 3 months later...

I just received a 30ml bottle of Diamine Orange direct from Diamine today, loaded it in my Lamy Studio with a 1.1mm nib I also got today. I have been using it to write a Personal Statement for vet school in running book hand, and boy is this a bright beautiful orange! It is very fun to write drafts and drafts with. I am guessing Diamine Pumpkin is a bit more subdued. The flow is awesome as well, especially welcomed with Running book hands line variation.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA