Waterman Liaison

jonro

http://www.s162256685.onlinehome.us/FPN/Liaison1.jpg

First Impressions
The Liaison makes an impression. The classic design, materials and nicely finished trim makes a statement.

Appearance (5/5)
The Pelikan 800-sized Liaison is a beautiful pen. The orange and black wood grained ebonite harkens back to the ebonite Watermans of the early 20th century. The gold trim has a nice deep gold coloration and both the cap band and the identical bands at either end of the barrel have a nice twist to the design. There’s more symmetry with the black end caps and a black band between the nib and the end band. There is also a gold Waterman logo inset into the top end cap. The Liaison has a very attractive Triumph-style wraparound two-tone 18K nib. All in all, the Liaison is a very attractive pen.

Design/Size/Weight (4/5)
The Liaison has an ebonite finish, but underneath its smooth rubber exterior is a brass body, so it is a relatively heavy pen, somewhat heavier than a Pelikan 800. Because of the pen’s length, you can write comfortably with it posted or unposted. While a little top heavy when posted, I found it most comfortable unposted. The cap snaps on and off quite firmly. It takes a little getting used to, but I can promise that the cap won’t come off in your pocket. I think I would have preferred this pen as a twist mount.

Nib (5/5)
It’s a great-looking nib that compliments the size and shape of the pen. As I mentioned earlier, it has a wraparound 2-tone 18K nib. Most of my pens have fine or extra fine nibs. This one is a medium. But once I got used to it, I started to appreciate the relatively wide swath of color it easily lays down across the paper. Aside from being a very attractive nib, it’s a very smooth one, too.

Filling System (4.5/5)
The Liaison is a C/C filler. In this case, it’s probably necessary, in order to keep the weight down. The filler has an unusual twist, literally. You twist the end cap at the end of the barrel. This releases the section and converter from the barrel of the pen. Fill it, place it back in the barrel and twist again to retract it back into the pen.

Cost and Value (4.25/5)
I’ve seen it offered between $175 and $300 on eBay and the rest of the Internet. However, I found a better deal from a private seller. I think that at around $200 it’s a fairly good value.

Conclusion (4.5/5)
There are only two negatives: the very tight fit of the cap and the weight of the pen. However, it’s a beautiful pen with an excellent finish and very nice trim. It has an excellent, striking nib and is a pleasure to write with. I give it two nibs up.

http://www.s162256685.onlinehome.us/FPN/Liaison2.jpg

http://www.s162256685.onlinehome.us/FPN/Liaison3.jpg
Edited by jonro

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fdediego

• Stylo

• jonro

• KCat

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Review.

The Bad News: It's outside my price range

The Good News: It's a heavy pen. I can't use heavy pens. Also a bit oversized for me. Whew!

Sure is purdy, though.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Thank you for the nice review.

Could you post some pics od this pen sitting next to your other pens please. Do you have a Pelikan M800, M1000 or a waterman Carene for example?

Thanks for the review, jonro! I have the same pen and I love my Liaison. I do find that it lays down a fairly wide swath of ink, but I prefer that to a stingy writer...

Now.... why the heck don't they make more modern Waterman pens with this great nib style? :huh:

I have a black Liaison. Thanks to a tip from Denis Richard way back then, I got it for $100 from Pam, on super-duper must-absolutely-get rid of clearance sale (possibly from a suspect lot literally dumped by Sanford). This is one pen that looked sexiest to me in plain old black! It's the classic gold trim black lacquer combo, but with a few subtle touches that give it some zing. The way you expose the filler is also very neat. Can you tell I really like this pen? :D

If it is any consolation, based on some of your past posts, you would probably find this pen a bit too large anyway, in terms of weight, girth, and length. It is a hefty pen in every sense :)

I have a black Liaison. Thanks to a tip from Denis Richard way back then, I got it for $100 from Pam, on super-duper must-absolutely-get rid of clearance sale (possibly from a suspect lot literally dumped by Sanford). This is one pen that looked sexiest to me in plain old black! It's the classic gold trim black lacquer combo, but with a few subtle touches that give it some zing. The way you expose the filler is also very neat. Can you tell I really like this pen? :D

If it is any consolation, based on some of your past posts, you would probably find this pen a bit too large anyway, in terms of weight, girth, and length. It is a hefty pen in every sense :)

Actually, I prefer fairly large pens. The Pelikan m800 is about the ideal size for me and the Liaison is about that size. I like it a lot, which you can probably tell from my review. The ebonite over brass construction, however, does make it a relatively weighty pen. It's one of the few pens I own that I prefer to use unposted.

Thanks Jonro for the nice review! Looks like I will have to look around for one of these.

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

Actually, I prefer fairly large pens. The Pelikan m800 is about the ideal size for me and the Liaison is about that size. I like it a lot, which you can probably tell from my review.

Of course! :D My size comment was directed at KCat who prefers pens of the seize of the M200.

I have the black version and the burgundy version. Both are beautiful pens. I agree with the earlier posts that note that the nib lays down a pretty generous line of ink. My nibs are medium, and they are at my upper limit for nib width.

Edited by CharlieB

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

• 1 year later...

I have this pen and enjoy its looks, but i find that the nib does not lay down a good line of ink. To the contrary, the nib skips, fails to start and and is not up to the Waterman quality. It has been back to Waterman twice, with no noticeable difference. I am sorry that i bought it. The only good news is that it was on sale. Waterman's products are not always consistently good.

I have a black Liaison. This is one pen that looked sexiest to me in plain old black! It's the classic gold trim black lacquer combo, but with a few subtle touches that give it some zing. The way you expose the filler is also very neat. Can you tell I really like this pen? :D

Nicely said. Classy black for me too!

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

• 2 years later...

I've lost my writing set Waterman Liaison.

Both pieces (ball pen and fountain pen) where nearly new and perfect. I allways used to keep in a leather case.

ohhhhh It's so painfull that I can't describe the feellings. I'm so sorry.

It was at the end of a flight with easyjet form Milano to Madrid. The date was Feb 18th, 2011.

• 1 year later...

Both pieces (ball pen and fountain pen) where nearly new and perfect. I allways used to keep in a leather case.

It was at the end of a flight with easyjet form Milano to Madrid. The date was Feb 18th, 2011.

Now, more than a year and a half, after I lost my Waterman Liaison set. I'm still very sad.

I bought one Liaison pen from eBay. It's not a solution, but it's the only thing I could do.

I want to call the person who found my set please contact me. I'll be gretefull for the life (and i'll pay as much as I can in return)

Please return me my Liaison.

Now, more than a year and a half, after I lost my Waterman Liaison set. I'm still very sad.

I bought one Liaison pen from eBay. It's not a solution, but it's the only thing I could do.

I want to call the person who found my set please contact me. I'll be gretefull for the life (and i'll pay as much as I can in return)

Please return me my Liaison.

The nib on this pen is very stiff and scratchy. Tried several of them but always so disappointing regarding the nib.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 6 months later...

Just bought a NOS version tonight, with a Fine gold nib, at my pen club meeting. Love it. I really like the mechanics to the filling system - turing the end cap like it's a piston filler raises the section, to reveal the C/C unit as it elevates from the barrell - and the nib is true and smooth. It has red ripple-ish appearance to it, too, which is retro. Can't wait to fill it at work tomorrow. This pen has been discontinued, so it's a good find.

Enjoy!

• 4 months later...

bought one second-hand with F nib at a price i could not resist. terrible writing experience as expressed above--frequent skips and hesitant starts. found a B nib unit on the 'bay, now it's wonderful. may try to get the F tweaked by a pro in the future.