• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gregoron

• Apollo

• dapv

• mr T.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The weakness of ballpoints are that no matter how fancy they are, they'll only write as well as the $3.00 cartridge that's in it. I have gradually been converting my Parkers to gels- I especially like my 75. I also have an old Big Red that I've have since high school that is a great "weekend" pen.

The weakness of ballpoints are that no matter how fancy they are, they'll only write as well as the $3.00 cartridge that's in it. I have gradually been converting my Parkers to gels- I especially like my 75. I also have an old Big Red that I've have since high school that is a great "weekend" pen.

Tell me, does a gel pen work with Credit card authorisations and with "forms in duplicate"? Believe it or not I have never used one (sheltered life you know!) :rolleyes:

Sebastian Krown

"So many pens, so little time!"

PSKROWN@GMAIL.COM

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/LamySafari-Yellow.jpg

I'm curious about this. Will it take Parker or other type of refills other than Lamy's?

No, unfortunately the Lamy Safari doesn't take Parker refills. It only takes Lamy's M16 refill.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

The weakness of ballpoints are that no matter how fancy they are, they'll only write as well as the $3.00 cartridge that's in it.

Well, that depends on your point of view. Fountain pens inherently have more weaknesses than ballpoints, but that's another thread. As far as the refills go, I've used ballpoint refills by Parker, Faber-Castell, Waterman, Caran d'Ache, Lamy, Cross and have found them to be satisfactory for their use, although if I had a choice I'd go with a gel refill for check and ledger writing.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

I carry a Mont Blanc 164P in my rotation so I guess its my fav'

I do also quite like the ACME No.2 pen...very cool.

Tell me, does a gel pen work with Credit card authorisations and with "forms in duplicate"? Believe it or not I have never used one (sheltered life you know!) :rolleyes:

Gel pens usually offer smoother writing than standard ballpoint pens, but depending on the paper being used some gel ink can smear. Some credit card authorization forms have a slight sheen on the paper which will cause gel ink to smear, but again, it depends on the type of paper being used by the merchant.

Gel pens usually offer smoother writing than standard ballpoint pens, but depending on the paper being used some gel ink can smear. Some credit card authorization forms have a slight sheen on the paper which will cause gel ink to smear, but again, it depends on the type of paper being used by the merchant.

Thanks for that.

Sebastian Krown

PSKROWN@GMAIL.COM

Love my Waterman--I think it's an Expert. I've had it for about 20 years and would hate to part company.

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

Can anyone tell me what other manufacturers use standard parker refills in their ballpoints?

... Parker refills can also be used in Ballograf pens.

I just bought a Ballograf Epoca and have been happy with it. It has a wider barrel, which makes it easier to hold and the quality of the plastic is better than a Parker Jotter. All that for less than $8 bucks.

I was surprised to find that the blue Ballograf refill it came with is archival with the DIN 16554-2 rating, which is similar to Parker's ISO 12757-2 rating. I just did not like the blue color. So, I tried to fit a standard Parker refill in this pen but it is too long and it protrudes from the section. I then disassembled the advancing mechanism by pushing it out the barrel with the clicker. Next, I cut off the small plastic notch that goes into the Ballograf refill's cylindrical end. I also had to trim the Parker refill so it fits nicely. Finally, my Ballograf takes Parker refills. It could also now take Caran D'Ache refills and still take the original Ballograf refill it came with.

Do you know which Ballograf pens (other than the gel version) takes Parker refills right off the box?

Edited by gregoron

You are what you write

More than you are what you say

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

-----------------------------------

- No affiliation with any vendors or manufacturers mentioned above.

- Edits done for grammatical purposes only.

Hmmm... I like:

-- The twist-action Parker 75 ballpoints (I have one to match my black lacquer 75 FP, and I gave one to my mother to match her cisele FP)(I also have a pencil to mach the black 75)

-- Pelikan K400 ballpoint in tortoise-and-brown to match my M400 FP in the same color

-- Pelikan K600 ballpoint in dark transparent blue to match my M600 in the same color

Can you tell I like to buy my pens in sets? :)

I do also like parker Jotters, but keep losing them... luckily there's a zillion of 'em out there...

Edited by Kalessin

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Since a ballpoint pen is part of my daily standard FP/BP/MP carry, I either have pens that come as a threesome, or in the case of older pens, pens that closely match.

Of the vintage BPs, one of my favorties is a converted Eversharp Skyline CA that now takes Parker refills. I recently got a Sheaffer Crest BP that goes well with a goldplated Touchdown FP/MP set -- the widgets do work well. The Parker 17 BP fits well with a Vac or a English Duofold.

The Balance II BPs harmonize nicely with the original Balance pens, and the stainless steel Parker Jotters go good with a "51." I sometimes use a 45 MP/BP set with my "51s" also.

For writing comfort, the Rotring Core BP is the best, with Sheaffer No Nonsense Pens a close second. If you like big pens, these are it.

If I had to carry only one BP, it would be a Jotter with a Parker or Itoya gel refill.

And if anyone knows where some Esterbrook BP refills can be found, send that person my way!

I was given the Eversharp Skyline ballboint to match my FP.....Gold Cap, black bottom. Love that pen, but refill ran out and I didn't know which to buy.

Please explain my options for this pen!

I'm a big fan of parker compatible refills because they seem to have the most choices so I tend to gravitate to those that accept these refills. On any given day my most favorite ballpoint is one of the following depending on my mood:

Parker Duofold Pinstripe (Blue)

Parker Sonnet (Black Laquer)

Pelikan m620 (Piccadilly Circus)

Visconti Van Gogh (Tortoise)

From time to time I'll switch to a Mont Blanc 169 because it is a very visually appealing instrument but I just don't care much for the way the refill writes. I still like it quite a bit though.

What are your favorite ballpoints?

I have had a Parker 45 for thirty-five years. I also like the Waterman Exclusive.

Not a ballpoint but a gel, I love my Michale's "Fat Boy". Very solid , substantial ,feels good to my hand , uses Parker gel refills. List price around $95, but can be found on line for around $65. Comes in several colour choices, mine is the plain aluminum Comet version. Very highly recommended as far as I am concerned.

He also offers a fountain pen as well but have never had one in my hands.

As always best regards to all,

Oberon

Yes it does, just like a BP. If we're going to talk about gels, my favorite is the Uniball 207. What's more, I've been told but have not verified that the ink in the 207 is bulletproof.

If I am using something other then a FP it will probably be a "Micro Ceramic Pen".

Edited by jd50ae

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

Can you tell I like to buy my pens in sets? :)

There is something about sets isn't there. A sense that all in the universe is in order and well! Ok, Ok, I have issues obviously! But when I was a child I had thise strange fascination with "sets" of things, I would collect sets of books or sets of magazines, and i know a large part of the attraction was the idea that they were sets. :headsmack: I have managed to resist similar temptations with FP's - so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is enough of a challenge for me just to get a pen I like without getting into the temptation of pursuing a set as well. :rolleyes:

Sebastian Krown

PSKROWN@GMAIL.COM

While I like the look and heft of the MB Meisterstuck (with a fine point refill) and the slim feel of my Cross BPs (with fine point refills), the title of "favorite ball point" has to go to a mass production "cheapie." The Zebra F-301 in both Compact and click styles. The ink flows smoothly on almost any writing surface. They're perfect for doing the crossword on the morning commute. The Compact fits nicely in a pocket or tucked under the elastic band of a Moleskine.

The Zebra pocket pen rates high as well, but I cannot find refills so I've taken to carrying the F-301 Compact as a pocket pen.

The Uni-Ball 207 Micro (can you tell I like writing with small point pens?) tops the list for favorites in the gel pen category. It works well in a Moleskine, but not as well on larger format paper.

Edited by Conan the Grammarian

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]