Visconti Opera Club

Bryan

Visconti Opera Club

Length: 5 ½ inches capped, 5 1/8 inches uncapped, just under 6 ½ posted (I personally do not post this pen)

Weight: 1.2oz capped, .8oz uncapped

Materials Used: Chrome plated trim, Pearl orange marble resin cap and barrel, 14k/585 gold nib

Filling System: Cartridge/Converter

This new offering from Visconti had me from the word “Opera”. Being a big fan of good opera myself, I decided to look into the details of this pen. The pen is based on Visconti’s “squaring of the circle” design which we first saw in the LE “Wall Street”. This is truly a nice design which fits nicely in your hand. Another benefit I have found with this pen, is while uncapped I don’t need to worry about setting it down on a desk as I gather my thoughts. Since I do not post most of my pens, setting any other pen down could result in the pen rolling off my desk, a scary thought indeed! Well, not so with this new design from Visconti.

The particular color of my pen is called, “Summer Yellow”. It’s a pearl orange with deep reddish veins running throughout the cap and barrel, creating a marble look to it. This is another pen that shimmers in the direct sunlight. I’m a big fan of this look. I also like the chrome plated accents and think they do a wonderful job of completing the pens visual appeal. Viconti’s new clip design is also worth noting. It’s a nice clean arc that starts from the top of the cap. The clip is spring loaded and allows the pen to fit nicely over thicker material. I think the “Visconti” engraving on the sides of the clip is also a great detail.

A new feature of this pen is it’s unique ability to be personalized without actual cutting into the resin or metal finish. This is accomplished by removing the magnetized Visconti emblem on top of the cap and replacing it with your choice of initials, both of which are magnetized semi-circles. I have placed the initials “BP” on mine. The initials are free from your local Visconti dealer and once in place, they’re very secure. Should you decide to sell your pen down the road, simple remove your initials and replace the Visconti emblem. There no worry about ruining your pen’s value by personalizing it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/ViscontiOperaClub005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/ViscontiOperaClub006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/bryan2177/ViscontiOperaClub009.jpg

The 14k nib is stiff and smooth. This week I’m sending it off to Pendemonium for a regrind to cursive italic. I currently have been using Private Reserve Orange Crush with this pen and it lays down a very nice wet line with it’s broad nib. I tried PR American Blue, but the Opera hated it for some reason and would skip. I haven’t tried any other ink as of yet due to how great it’s been doing with the Orange Crush. I’ll let you know if it has problems with any other inks.

I found this pen for $224.99 on Costco’s website. I’ve used this pen since December, 2004, and have no complaints other then the incident with the PR American Blue. This is another fine Italian fountain pen. I give it a strong recommendation. Join the Club, the Visconti Opera Club!

Bryan

Edited by Bryan
http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bryan

• CharlieB

• PAKMAN

• Ghost Plane

It took me a little longer to get this pen sent out to Pendemonium for a custom regrind. However, it has now arrived back and once again, I have a beautiful writing cursive italic. I'll get some scans and post them here later.

Bryan

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

Thanks fpr bumping this one, Bryan. :) I wasn't around when you first posted the review. :(

Costco eh? Never thought of shopping Costco for FPs. Have to check them periodically.

It's a pretty pen, but don't you hate it when they're picky about what inks they like? Keep us posted on its progress. Maybe with enough ink through it, its dislike for PR American Blue will go away. :D

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Thanks fpr bumping this one, Bryan. :)  I wasn't around when you first posted the review. :(

Costco eh? Never thought of shopping Costco for FPs. Have to check them periodically.

It's a pretty pen, but don't you hate it when they're picky about what inks they like? Keep us posted on its progress. Maybe with enough ink through it, its dislike for PR American Blue will go away. :D

:blush: :blush:

I was around...but somehow I missed your review.

So sorry!

Thank you for bring this beautiful pen to our attention, Bryan. It's a real looker! The removable monogram option is something I did not know about...That and the fact that Costco sells pens other than MBs! :lol:

Glad this one got bumped as I too wasn't around when it was posted. Neat pen, and a brilliant design on the initials. Thanks for the great review!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• 2 years later...

I purchased this pen about a year ago and it has performed nothing but beautifully. A definite plus was the fact that one of Visconti's headquarters is located in Lodi, NJ (very close to my home). I visited them and these people were absolutely fantastic (friendly, courteous, and quite knowledgeable).

"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death, p. vii

Hi, good review. I have received it for my bachelor and you can see it in this post: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...c=40245&hl=.

<i><b><font size="4"><a href="http://www.duninet.com" target="_blank">Andrea Duni</a></font></b><br><font color="#696969">(ex Netnemo)</font></i><br><br><b>Join the FPN Groups on <a href="https://www.facebook.com/groups/fountainpennetwork/" target="_blank">Facebook</a> and <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/799587" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a></b>

Drat another Visconti to add to my want list! Good review!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Another pen with perfect seasonal coloring for the fall months. Looks good with the orange ink!

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, good review. I have received it for my bachelor and you can see it in this post: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...c=40245&hl=.

I noticed that Bryan's nib is slightly different from Netnemo's nib in that it has a round "hole" (what's the proper name for this?), while Netnemo's has a crescent shaped "hole". Would I be correct in assuming that both are the same nib, but just an aesthetic change? I have a Visconti Wall Street. It has the round hole. I was kind of disappointed when I received it because the one I thought I ordered was supposed to have the crescent shape. I've since gotten over it because it's such a wonderful nib, but nevertheless, I've always wondered if there's a difference...

• 3 months later...

Good review. I love that orange pen. It GLOWS. I have it in a rollerball. I was talking with the Visconti rep about 3 weeks ago. This orange, the typhoon blue, and the honey almond are being phased out :crybaby: