How long does a bottle of Noodler's Ink last?

graceaj

I have yet to kill my first bottle either, so don't fill bad. (Get it? Get it? FILL bad!)

"Reverend, you will go to heaven with other good people. Even in heaven you be arguing about the various theories of religion. Your arguments will be an obstacle to my meditation. Therefore, I would prefer to got to hell. Then I will be of service to the suffering." ~ Bhante Walpola Piyananda

http://penpedia.com/sig.gif

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fenrisfox

• Viseguy

• Quicksilver

• jbb

Let's do the math. A bottle of Noodler's holds 90 ml. If your pen or converter holds 1 ml, the bottle will last 90 fills. If you fill your pen on average once every 4 days, the bottle will last 360 days, or about a year. Adjust the variables (underlined above) according to your own circumstances, and you will have your answer. :eureka:

In other words: L=Bf/c, where L is bottle life, B is bottle capacity, f is the interval between fills, and c is pen capacity. Viseguy's Law. :bunny01:

Thanks for putting this in perspective. Let's see - if I live to be 110, I might use up all my ink. ;)

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

Yea, when you have 40 bottles of ink, you never seem to empty one unless you tend to favor it. I have been working pretty hard on my bottle of levengers cobalt lately! And I have actually managed to empty two bottles of Parker Penman Sapphire. Oh and one bottle of Waterman Florida blue but half of that was my big spill event! :embarrassed_smile:

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I'm hoping to get a bottle of Noodler's Ink, but before I do so, I was wondering just how long it lasts. Locally, it costs about US$20 a bottle, and so before I get one, I just want to make sure it won't be gone before I realise it.

It lasts a bit longer if you use a Sheaffer Snorkel or PFM. It's the only pen that can suck that last bit of Noodlers out of the bottle! :thumbup:

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

With Noodler's we might have to add a fudge-factor to our equations, since I suspect they actually hold more than 90 mL. Every bottle I've had has been very full when new, to the extent that they need to be opened with some care.

I feel a great sense of accomplishment when I finish a bottle of ink. It's kind of like a "how the time flies" feeling, except I can go look at my journal pages and say to myself, "Wow, you sure are full of meaningless words." But if you use the right ink, at least they look kinda cool...

Doug

If you're only filling one pen with this one bottle of ink it seems like it would last a very long time. If you hang out at FPN long enough you'll be filling many, many pens from your drawer full of ink.

(snip)

Hmm, my own twist on this:

You'll be filling your giant chest full of pens from your vault full of ink.

Oh wait, that's only if you're a creature as eternal as the kitsune - or eternal ink. :roflmho: :bunny01:

http://www.penpedia.com/w/index.php?title=Viseguy%27s_Law

There you go Viseguy, you're famous! ;)

I'm speechless! :embarrassed_smile: :headsmack: :rolleyes: :happyberet: :thumbup: :bunny01:

Thank you, Quicksilver! :D

Think that's great?

It gets better. :happyberet:

Try putting "Ink" in the box, and hit Go.

You're the only entry!!!!!

Edited by fenrisfox

With Noodler's we might have to add a fudge-factor to our equations, since I suspect they actually hold more than 90 mL. Every bottle I've had has been very full when new, to the extent that they need to be opened with some care.

Hmm, so so do we need a variable "n?" :)

In any case - some folks seem to hate that they're insanely full.

Me? I loved that! :) Made the first couple fills ridiculously easy :bunny01:

Our very first bottle of ink is still OK. There are two ways to shorten the life of Noodler's: dump salt or really strong acids in the ink (hence the reason why it should not be mixed with metallic salt based inks) OR stick an air hose in it and let bubbles of air filled with microbes, oxygen, and bacteria pour through it for a long time.

The preservatives in Noodler's are designed to fade away/oxidise harmlessly once it is on the page and dry. The return rate due to mold or bacterial attack has declined to the third decimal place and any other company would consider it statistically insignificant: but it is observed closely and we still test for new mold species or molds that have evolved to get past our preservatives. Keep in mind, evolution in microbes and molds can be FAST....just think of how difficult it is to figure out a cure for the aids virus...an even simpler organism? Evolution is so powerful - it even resulted in us!

Another important reason you know preservatives are well handled here: my own bare hands are often multicolored. It was noted that certain overseas ink companies need masks, isolation rooms, and rubber suits..... Who has the safer ink? I don't think their CEO has his hands colored in the ink for many reasons other than elitism. I won't drink it (it is made to taste AWFUL on purpose)...but my hands are always colored with it.

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

The pen could be mightier than the thief and the gun if it is filled with a bulletproof ink too!

May be available again soon, I hope...but not at the moment:

Specialty Fountain Pen Nibs - click here

It's my belief that all of the exclusive inks Noodlers makes for various stores and such, and inks like the "British" and "Russian" inks only come in 3 ounce bottles. Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken.

I am looking forward to Noodler's first Mexican ink. Hopefully, it will also be available here in the United States, both to citizens and to noncitizens as well.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...Chili-pepper red . . . .

-Bruce

Our very first bottle of ink is still OK. There are two ways to shorten the life of Noodler's: dump salt or really strong acids in the ink (hence the reason why it should not be mixed with metallic salt based inks)

Has anybody seen a list of "metallic salt based inks?" It would be most useful for us compulsive ink mixers!

If such a list exists, perhaps the moderators could pin the list (or a link to it) for easy reference.

Edited by scribbler77

It's my belief that all of the exclusive inks Noodlers makes for various stores and such, and inks like the "British" and "Russian" inks only come in 3 ounce bottles. Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken.

I am looking forward to Noodler's first Mexican ink. Hopefully, it will also be available here in the United States, both to citizens and to noncitizens as well.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...Chili-pepper red . . . .

-Bruce

Mexico - trying to figure out a product mix that would be irresistable....including free pens - something very competitive with such a vast amount of utility it will be a far better deal than any disposables - yet with far better properties than everything that costs more in Mexico's product selection as well, as in India. It is amazing that certain weak, acidic, fade prone inks command exhorbitant prices based upon the fancy bottle and case alone - are they selling ink...or a fancy bottle? Spanish language as well....which is also consuming some time. That has not yet been done, though - but it is a work in progress. We'll see.

As for 4.5 oz bottles in the Russian inks - the first Russian production was actually exclusively in 4.5 oz bottles. UK inks also have been available as 4.5 oz bottles for some time - even some as 1/2 gallon. However, due to shipping costs - few were asked for by retailers. 3 oz outnumbers 4.5 oz in the UK line by a very wide margin....not as much in the Russian. Only inks for India have 4.5 oz bottles outnumbering 3 oz. If the yen behaves, it is likely that every colored/non-black/non-invisible eternal ink by Noodler's sold in a 4.5 oz bottle will soon have a free eyedropper pen tucked in the box. From a frugality standpoint, it is irresistible to me - might kill profit, but the combination has a lot in its favor: how many disposables does one have to buy to equal the ink and word count of just one 4.5 oz bottle and the free pen included with it? If anyone does the math - it is very compelling (assuming similar property inks), usually about $150-$160 in savings. It is my hope that it can attract more roller ball and ball pen users to at least consider joining our hobby.

Blue Ghost, standard Black - those two inks are sold in 4.5 oz dropper bottles but will not have any free eyedroppers included with them. If they did, Noodler's would go bankrupt.

Metallic salt based inks: rule of thumb....when an ink is dehydrated and salt crystals form in abundance about the rim of the bottle and form crystal colonies in the bottle itself - that is almost certainly a metallic salt based ink.

Edited by Eternally Noodling

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

The pen could be mightier than the thief and the gun if it is filled with a bulletproof ink too!

May be available again soon, I hope...but not at the moment:

Specialty Fountain Pen Nibs - click here

Well, when it comes time for advertising Noodler's ink on TV, I think the "Blue Man Group" would be perfect for the task. :D

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?