Waterman Kulture Cristal

Armchop

:meow:

Never had a Demonstrator before and saw this on ebay. Going by reviews on the forum for Phileas's I thought I'd go for it.

http://img.photoamp.com/pa/07/09/25/p8vQXtQMK.jpg

As you can see I thought I'd use it as an eye dropper espccially as it is a plastic pen.

http://img.photoamp.com/pa/07/09/25/sEeJm0SFFS.jpg

Looks/Build

A very nice looking pen. Better thsn the translucent colours of the Phileas and looks more sophisticated IMO. As eye dropper holds a massive amount of ink.

Good weight with ink but otherwise quite light.

Writing

Sample here looks quite saturated but this is very deceptive.

http://img.photoamp.com/pa/07/09/25/oegC7.jpg

The pen writes very dry. I did a warm water soap soak and a blast in US cleaner when the pen arrived.

After a day the nib was very dry indeed and would not start writing.

Overall

Disappointing. But I suppose if the nib carried on this pen was any good then the range would not be so cheap!

Armchop

Edited by Armchop

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kabe

• lisa

• acolythe

• Robert

Top Posters In This Topic

Try flossing the nib...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

I have the same one (trade with GYV) and it writes well. It has a fine nib and I use a converter. It writes well, even when my other pens skip on bad paper.

You may try different inks also.

I am very happy with it. :thumbup:

I have a bunch of these that I use as eyedropper fillers, both Fine and Medium nibs. Some of them arrived as dry writers, some wet. I prefer wet writers so I flossed the nibs of the dry ones (with a razor blade; it was all I had handy at the time) and they all work great now. I also had to smooth some of them, while others were very smooth right out of the box.

If I'd only bought one, and it happened to be the driest, roughest one of my bunch, I would've been disappointed, too. Luckily the first one I tried was great--wet and smooth. They are very easy to adjust.

I've actually been using mine without any grease, and so far not a one has leaked. I've been using Namiki Falcons the same way...maybe I've been lucky.

Writing

After a day the nib was very dry indeed and would not start writing.

When used as a daily writer, I haven't had any problem with Kultur pens. When left unused for more than a day, however, they become slow or non-starters. This is the only criticism I have of this line of pens. They are very pleasant to write with, however. Nice feedback, without being scratchy. Even the fine nibs are not scratchy.

Regards,

Ray

I have 3 Kulturs with fine nibs and am very pleased with all of them. I have found the very moderately priced Kulturs to perform like significantly more expensive pens. If I were back in school, the Kultur would probably have a permanent place in my pen case.

I've been using Namiki Falcons the same way...maybe I've been lucky.

I didn't know that the Falcon could be used as an ED! I assumed that there would be some metal in there.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to put it so a fairly recent review seemed best. :)

I've had a demonstrator Kultur for a while now and was never very positive about the fine nib on it. The line is a true fine but it is scratchy.

A week ago I decided to give the Kultur another go and got one of these "new"(are they?) colours from ebay.

http://i18.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b4/e1/bb62_1_sbl.JPG

Pic borrowed from Mr Lewertowski

Got it yesterday and this one has a much better nib. Very close to the fine nib on a Phileas. It writes a nice wet fine to medium fine line and is just a bit toothy but not scratchy at all. It looks very nice too. the colour is a bit more old pink (is that a right describtion?) than in the picture, but that makes it look even classier to me. On first impressions I would highly recomment it. :thumbup:

To me the Kultur F is now on par with a Phileas F. Only difference it seems to me is the colour and weight.

Not sure where to put it so a fairly recent review seemed best. :)

I've had a demonstrator Kultur for a while now and was never very positive about the fine nib on it. The line is a true fine but it is scratchy.

A week ago I decided to give the Kultur another go and got one of these "new"(are they?) colours from ebay.

http://i18.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/b4/e1/bb62_1_sbl.JPG

Pic borrowed from Mr Lewertowski

Got it yesterday and this one has a much better nib. Very close to the fine nib on a Phileas. It writes a nice wet fine to medium fine line and is just a bit toothy but not scratchy at all. It looks very nice too. the colour is a bit more old pink (is that a right describtion?) than in the picture, but that makes it look even classier to me. On first impressions I would highly recomment it. :thumbup:

To me the Kultur F is now on par with a Phileas F. Only difference it seems to me is the colour and weight.

CAn you tell a noob or is it boob how one uses a Kulture (or any other pen not so designed) as an eyedropper

secopndly... how do you floss the nib???

Barry

I can't tell you how to floss a nib. I tried and almost ruined a nib once. You need the right tools.

To use it as an eydropper you need silicon grease. Put that on the screw bit where you screw the barrel on the section so it won't leak there and just fil the barrel with ink.

I can't tell you how to floss a nib. I tried and almost ruined a nib once. You need the right tools.

I had the same question. I just went to the Tryphon website and found a Nib Flossing Kit there. Here's what they say about it: "We give you both a thin brass sheet (3¡n x 3¡n) and a clear acetate sheet. Most professionals use the thin brass sheet as “nib floss” to remove any surface burrs between the tines of a nib. Use the sheet of cellulose acetate to safely increase the gap between the tines or between the nib and the feed, to improve ink flow."

Costs a grand total of $3. Is this the best way to floss?

By the way, I have a few Kultur pens and have had the same problem. None of my other pens dry out this way, so it's very unlikely that it has to do with storage conditions, ink, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Another little update on the Kultur from me again.

I got the silver looking one because I liked the pink so much. This one has the same nib as my old Kultur, rather toothy even a bit scratchy. It writes fine but very toothy. So I guess it's just luck with these. Got 3 Kulturs and one Phileas now, and 2 of them have a wider line and are smooth, the other two a finer line and toothy.

Good news: they are good writers, no skipping or anything.

Bad news: might be very toothy, can be hard starters after not being used for a few days.

• 1 year later...
I have a bunch of these that I use as eyedropper fillers, both Fine and Medium nibs. Some of them arrived as dry writers, some wet. I prefer wet writers so I flossed the nibs of the dry ones (with a razor blade; it was all I had handy at the time) and they all work great now. I also had to smooth some of them, while others were very smooth right out of the box.

If I'd only bought one, and it happened to be the driest, roughest one of my bunch, I would've been disappointed, too. Luckily the first one I tried was great--wet and smooth. They are very easy to adjust.

I've actually been using mine without any grease, and so far not a one has leaked. I've been using Namiki Falcons the same way...maybe I've been lucky.

Does this imply that the Namiki Falcon doesn't have any metal parts inside?

Thanks,

Fateh

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom - George S Patton

Follow me on Twitter

• 10 months later...

Do I need to do anything special to turn this pen into an eyedropper?

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I also bought a Kultur in light blue. I wouldn't say that it is the most handsome pen I own, nevertheless it writes quite well. But I don't like to use it since every time I remove the cap, I find drops of ink all over the nib as well as inside the cap and on the part you grip. So every time I use it, my fingers are stained with lovely colours. -_-

First I used a Waterman cartridge, then I also tried one of Diamine's, but the same problem occured.

I know Waterman gives a lifelong warranty, but I am not sure if a pen for about 10$ is really worth sending to reparation.

If nobody else has had this problem before I should maybe think about just purchasing another Kultur. What do you say?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

so, do I?

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

c'mon, I don;t wanna start a thread

Pure silicon grease on the threads between the body and the section. For a Phileas you would also have to seal up the bottom where a blind cap screws on but the Kultur is solid on the bottom.

Edited by pakmanpony

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

ok, thanks