How long does a bottle of Noodler's Ink last?

graceaj

I'm hoping to get a bottle of Noodler's Ink, but before I do so, I was wondering just how long it lasts. Locally, it costs about US$20 a bottle, and so before I get one, I just want to make sure it won't be gone before I realise it.

Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fenrisfox

• Viseguy

• Quicksilver

• graceaj

Well, how long is a piece of string? It depends how often you use it, how much you write with it, how strong the ink flow in your pen is, etc.

For comparison, a standard Noodler's bottle holds 3 oz/90ml of ink. That's nearly twice as much as, say, a Waterman bottle at 50ml - so it should last you nearly twice as long, all else being equal. Noodler's may seem expensive, but it's actually quite good value.

Col

If you're only filling one pen with this one bottle of ink it seems like it would last a very long time. If you hang out at FPN long enough you'll be filling many, many pens from your drawer full of ink.

The Inked Nib has a very good price on Noodler's ink so even with shipping they would be less than $20.

http://www.inkednib.com/products.asp?cat=10 (I've bought from them but am not otherwise affiliated.)

Which color are you thinking of buying?

Using a bottle in a standby color, it takes me a year to finish. Great value - but at the same time, I am always excited when I get to the bottom of the bottle as it means I can buy another! :rolleyes:

I have way too much ink, in too many colors, and don't reliable use anything but black (for work and addresses). However, I have used almost 1/8 of a bottle of Noodler's black in nine months. All the rest of the ink shows lowering levels, but not like the black -- I'd guess I'm using no more than a full bottle a year, more likely half a bottle total. I write a two or three pages of notes and letters a day, maybe four on average. I fill a pen with black in about once a month or every three weeks, depending on the pen (a "51" vac holds a lot more than say a Snorkel). All my "user" pens are fine or Gregg nibs, only very occasionally will a use a medium.

If you are in school taking copious notes (as you should be if you are in class!), expect to use somewhat more. Still, $20 for a years supply of ink isn't too bad. Probably somewhat cheaper than disposable ball points, most of which don't seem to have very much ink in them, nothing like when I was in school.

Peter

Let's do the math. A bottle of Noodler's holds 90 ml. If your pen or converter holds 1 ml, the bottle will last 90 fills. If you fill your pen on average once every 4 days, the bottle will last 360 days, or about a year. Adjust the variables (underlined above) according to your own circumstances, and you will have your answer. :eureka:

In other words: L=Bf/c, where L is bottle life, B is bottle capacity, f is the interval between fills, and c is pen capacity. Viseguy's Law. :bunny01:

Edited by Viseguy

Viseguy

Let's do the math. A bottle of Noodler's holds 90 ml. If your pen or converter holds 1 ml, the bottle will last 90 fills. If you fill your pen on average once every 4 days, the bottle will last 360 days, or about a year. Adjust the variables (underlined above) according to your own circumstances, and you will have your answer. :eureka:

Wow!!! I'm always so impressed by people who possess logic that I don't have. :headsmack:

At first I thought Noodlers was pricey, and a few of the bulletproof colors like Hunter Green and Fox Red that only come in 1 ounce bottles are a bit pricey, but all the others (Black, Red-Black, Apache Sunset, Socrates, Glacier) I have in 3 ounce bottles and it's economical.

Since then Hunter Green has also become economical for me because I prefer the result I get from Hunter Green diluted 50/50 with distilled water. I call it Grass Green, it's plenty vivid, just as bulletproof, and eliminates the smearing I had with Hunter Green from some pens on some papers. So that cuts the cost in half.

If you like the ink, then it is a good sized bottle (bigger than most) and is definitely worth it.

If you don't like the ink, you have a very good chance of getting back very close to what you paid when you sell it (here, or elsewhere).

I'm hoping to get a bottle of Noodler's Ink, but before I do so, I was wondering just how long it lasts.

Until you knock the bottle over while filling your pen ... :crybaby:

Or crush it in a vise. Oh yeah, been there, done that, got the tee shirt. :D

I suppose I should refine my formula to account for waste: L=Bf/(c+w), where w is the average amount of ink wasted per fill. In a perfect world, w=0 and the original formula holds. Just this once, let's pretend it's a perfect world. :rolleyes:

Edit: Corrected definition of variable w.

Edited by Viseguy

Viseguy

I'm thinking of getting it in blue or black, and maybe another colour Unfortunately, I don't know if the $20 is for the one or three-ounce bottle. I believe most inks are in three-ounce bottles, but I don't know if this applies to Singapore Exclusive inks as well. My father had gone to the store for me, and when he heard that it cost $20, he didn't bother to get any more information for me. :headsmack:

The website only lists 'Singapore Exclusive colours', which come in 12 colours, and from what I can see of the labels on the website, most if not all of them are bulletproof. Online prices definately look great, but I don't know how much shipping would put on it, plus the whole lack of a credit card would make things a little difficult.

Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

I'm thinking of getting it in blue or black, and maybe another colour Unfortunately, I don't know if the $20 is for the one or three-ounce bottle. I believe most inks are in three-ounce bottles, but I don't know if this applies to Singapore Exclusive inks as well. My father had gone to the store for me, and when he heard that it cost $20, he didn't bother to get any more information for me. :headsmack:

The website only lists 'Singapore Exclusive colours', which come in 12 colours, and from what I can see of the labels on the website, most if not all of them are bulletproof. Online prices definately look great, but I don't know how much shipping would put on it, plus the whole lack of a credit card would make things a little difficult.

It's my belief that all of the exclusive inks Noodlers makes for various stores and such, and inks like the "British" and "Russian" inks only come in 3 ounce bottles. Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken.

It's my belief that all of the exclusive inks Noodlers makes for various stores and such, and inks like the "British" and "Russian" inks only come in 3 ounce bottles. Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken.

I am looking forward to Noodler's first Mexican ink. Hopefully, it will also be available here in the United States, both to citizens and to noncitizens as well.

I suppose I should refine my formula to account for waste: L=Bf/(c+w), where w is the average amount of ink wasted per fill. In a perfect world, w=0 and the original formula holds. Just this once, let's pretend it's a perfect world. :rolleyes:

Edit: Corrected definition of variable w.

I am totally entering Viseguy's Law into the Penpedia. Not only because it's a nice formula, but because you gave it a freaking great name.

"Reverend, you will go to heaven with other good people. Even in heaven you be arguing about the various theories of religion. Your arguments will be an obstacle to my meditation. Therefore, I would prefer to got to hell. Then I will be of service to the suffering." ~ Bhante Walpola Piyananda

http://penpedia.com/sig.gif

I am looking forward to Noodler's first Mexican ink. Hopefully, it will also be available here in the United States, both to citizens and to noncitizens as well.

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

http://www.penpedia.com/w/index.php?title=Viseguy%27s_Law

There you go Viseguy, you're famous! ;)

"Reverend, you will go to heaven with other good people. Even in heaven you be arguing about the various theories of religion. Your arguments will be an obstacle to my meditation. Therefore, I would prefer to got to hell. Then I will be of service to the suffering." ~ Bhante Walpola Piyananda

http://penpedia.com/sig.gif

You know I have been in this hobby a year, and I have yet to finish a bottle of ink? :unsure: I'm beginning to think empty ink bottles are a hoax.

Of course the entire cabinet above my stove is full of ink bottles... :ltcapd:

happiness isn't caused