Namiki Falcon: Fine nib

BillTheEditor

Swisher Pens exceeded its promise for delivery of this pen by a whole week! Yay!

Unfortunately, my desk is covered with projects rapidly approaching deadline, so I can't devote the time right now to a full review and to playing with the new toy. However, here are some quick first impressions:

- The pen arrived in possibly the nicest presentation box I have seen in a while. Came complete with converter, one Namiki Blue ink cartridge, typical "how to use your new pen" sheet that covers many pen models, and a registration card for the Namiki 3-year guarantee covering "any failures due to faulty materials or workmanship". Converter is a typical "screw" type, a little shorter than (for example) the typical Parker converter. The cartridge is not a standard International size or shape, and the end that you pierce appears to be very large. Probably accounts for the good flow I note below.

- The Namiki Falcon bears a definite family resemblance to the Pilot 78 in terms of the styling and appearance of the pen barrel and cap. Slick, shinyshinyshiny black plastic, excellent clip, what I call "LTJG" gold bands on the cap (U. S. Navy Lieutenants (Junior Grade) have one wide gold band and one narrow one on the sleeve of their dress blues, you see ...). One narrow gold ring on the back end of the barrel, grip section has a wider gold ring on the nib end and a narrow one up next to the screw threads for the cap. Cap screws on (2-1/2 turns).

- This might be a controversial comment, but ... while the Falcon is presentable in appearance, it looks "cheaper" than you'd expect a $127 pen to look. If you leave it out on the desk in your office, someone might pick it up thinking it was nothing special, and could possibly abuse it without thinking about the replacement cost. People can be so careless. Keep this baby in your pocket!

- About the size of a Parker 51, in length and barrel diameter. The Falcon is very light in weight. I would guess that, while the pen is well-made, most of the cost is in the nib.

- The Falcon nib really gets your attention, for its dramatic, yet understated, appearance; very distinctive look, probably deriving from the engineering that went into it. The feed's appearance made me think of ebonite, but I am pretty sure it's "just" some kind of conventional plastic.

- Ink flow with Noodler's Black is excellent. No nib creep noted (does anybody ever get nib creep with Noodler's Black? thought I would mention it anyway).

- The nib is NOT a wet noodle. Namiki describes it as "soft." I would describe it as springy. If you apply next to no pressure, you get an extra-fine line. No skips, no scratchiness -- this thing is smooooth! With a little (and I do mean a little) pressure variation, you get a nice, expressive line with good contrast between hairlines and swells. Tactile sensation is most definitely not the same as with a dip pen meant for copperplate; compared to my Gillot nibs in an oblique holder, the Falcon nib is quite stiff. BUT -- compared to every other nib I have except for the fine Danitrio Densho nib, this one is a marvel of sensitivity.

- Speaking of flexibility and the DD nib comparison: The Danitrio Densho Fine nib lays down a wider line, and while the Dani nib flexes a bit more easily than the Falcon Fine, it does not have the springiness you need to instantly drop from a swell back down to a hairline. This ability to "snap" back to a hairline is probably going to be a major feature of the Falcon nib that I will exploit. Remember that this is first impression only, based on less than half a page of writing and a couple of doodles. I reserve the right to change my mind!

- Another note: I would advise being very careful with the Falcon nib, or at least the Fine nibs like this one. It is probably quite easy to push too hard and bend the nib or over-flex it to the point that the tines become misaligned. I don't think this is a nib for the ham-fisted writer who is used to a Duofold nib or a Lamy Safari spear.

Whenever I get caught up on Work That Someone Pays Me For, I will write up a more conventional review, with photos and writing samples.

Edited by BillTheEditor

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillTheEditor

• alvarez57

• elena

• blak000

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review. I've been meaning to do some more research into the Falcon's nib for awhile, especially when compared to DaniTrio's flexy nibs. The Falcon is looking more and more attractive. :drool: :drool:

I just recieved my Falcon Saturday from World Lux.com and if it is Ok with Bill I'll add my comments to his posting.

My first comment would be in complete agreement with Bill, It is a flexible and responsive nib, not one that you should "loan" to an inexperianced fountain pen user. I fit into that catagory somewhat, but I had an idea of what was comming my way. I normally have a heavy hand, but this pen is an excellent teacher, and i find myself exercising more control of my strokes, and taking the time to use the pen correctly.

The presentation box is nice and holds three pens in it's tray, so i currently use it to display the pens I own on my desk.

My first thought when I picked up the Falcon was how light the pen is even with a full converter. I am normally a fan of heavier objects but this pen is such a joy to write with, I forgot how light it felt. I wrote some notes and then a 3 page letter and noticed that my hand was not tired. I have carpal tunnel so holding any object for any length of time causes my hands to tire or go numb, not with this pen. When posted the pen to some may seem a little top heavy, but it seems to make the pen sit better in the crook of my hand. it is hard to explain.

For those who like stats here you go:

Pen length Capped: 5.3 in or 136 mm

Pen length Posted: 5.9 in or 150 mm

Pen length Un-Capped: 4.8 in or 122 mm

Cap length: 2.5 in or 64 mm

Clip length: 1.69 in or 42mm

Barell length: 3.2 in or 82mm

Nib length: 0.6 in or 17.7 mm

Barell width: .47 in or 12.8 mm (mid barell)

Cap width: .5 in or 14 mm

I have the medium nib, and as I am still new at this i'm not sure if it would be described as wet. I will say it doesn't skip, starts every time and lays down some ink:). It was smooth right out of the box, not scratchy at all and different pen angles yeild different line sizes. However, this pen does not like a verticle alignment, but will write it you take you time.

The resin body is smooth as silk, but it does feel like plastic. Boy is it ever a fingerprint magnet. There is nothing outstanding about the look of the pen, but it dosen't look like ever other pen out there either.

Overall this pen feels great, looks ok, and writes wonderfuly. I purchased this pen because it was a Namiki and for the nib, for $141 it is an exceptional pen.

David

Be without fear in the face of your enemies... Be brave and upright that God may love thee... Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death... Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong - that is your oath.

-The Knight's Oath (Kingdom of Heaven)

Good additions, David -- thanks! Frankly, I hadn't thought about what the light weight would mean to someone with carpal tunnel problems. Mostly my comments about weight and appearance were sort of a "heads up" for potential users who are accustomed to (for example) Duofolds or big Mont Blancs.

A pen does not have to feel like it is built like an Abrams tank, in order to be a quality pen. But I do think that someone who expects an Abrams tank, and finds the Falcon feels more like a lightweight racing bike, might wonder about quality. The quality is there -- it's in that nib.

In fact, it seems to me that you would want to have the Falcon nib paired with a lightweight body in order to enhance the responsiveness. I can't imagine being able to manipulate my big old Duofold as swiftly and lightly as I have been whipping the Falcon around today. I guess it's a matter of inertia and moments and all that boring physics stuff that the Namiki engineers and their computers figured out.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the positive comments about the Namiki Falcon, I went out to Meininger's and bought one straight away. The flexibility of the nib is wonderful!

Nakaya Writer Wajima-Urushi nuri Kikyo long pen fp - Grayson Tighe Twist Damascus fp - Mont Blanc Ramses mp - Pelikan M800 (2) - Restored 1936 Conklin Nozac fp - 1935 Waterman #3 mp - Namiki Falcon fp - Lamy Al-Star fp (2) - Parker 51 (8) - Swan/Mabie Todd fp - Wality 69L (3) - et alii

• 7 months later...

I actually like the understated look of the Falcon. Its simple, its black, and writes beautifully. I had the nib changed from fine to medium in the first couple of months by FPH. The Japanese fine nibs are simply too fine for my every day writing, espescially when writing fast. The problem is that I am finding that my ink will, every once in a while, leak, or pool. It seems to only occur if I have it in my breast pocket for a while, or if the pen is jogged a bit. It's as if too much ink flow is coming out of the nib. I didn't have this problem with the fine nib. Is anyone else having this problem? I called FPH to ask about this problem, but they say its Namiki's issue and that I should address it with them.

I have had this pen for 16 months and have never had a problem with any kind of leak or ink creep but then again, the pen remains at home, upright in a pen case and the nib is an F. I bought it because when I inquired at FPH about a pen with a nib that makes the finest line on the market, I was told that this was "it". No one mentioned the nibmeisters and I had no idea I could have a nib ground to a super needlepoint, which I eventually had done for me by Richard.

If anyone is impressed with looks alone this pen is not for them. It is quiet and has nothing of note (except quality) that screams out to the world.

If you are impressed with quality in any form, this is the pen for you. I have found all Namiki pens to be true quality items.

Geo, if you have found this to be the store policy, only buy things from them whose companies have generous repair standards. Krone and Marlen are two such companies. If something goes wrong with one of their products, they will repair free of charge within a reasonable amount of time after purchase. It's probably an excellent idea to ask a store what their policy on repairs, etc. is, before the purchase is completed.

Great review. I bought the Falcon after reading what you had to say. I absolutely love it. I have the medium, though, and am a little curious as to how the fine nib writes.

An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

Falcons sure have funny-looking nibs, but they write really nicely. I was in Fahrney's one day about two years ago, and "The Pen Doctor" gave me a demo of a Falcon, and I bought one on the spot. I still can't make it do all the tricks that he made it do, but I really like the pen, despite its small size.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Nice review, thanks for taking the time to tell us about this great pen!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Great review. I bought the Falcon after reading what you had to say. I absolutely love it. I have the medium, though, and am a little curious as to how the fine nib writes.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you like the pen.

The fine nib is very fine, compared to Western "fine" and I think this gives some people trouble. I find the fine nib very smooth, and I have no difficulty writing fast with it. If someone has trouble writing fast, I suggest easing up on the pressure placed on the nib, reducing the angle of the nib, and making sure the nib is placed so that both tines stay in contact with the paper.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you like the pen.

The fine nib is very fine, compared to Western "fine" and I think this gives some people trouble. I find the fine nib very smooth, and I have no difficulty writing fast with it. If someone has trouble writing fast, I suggest easing up on the pressure placed on the nib, reducing the angle of the nib, and making sure the nib is placed so that both tines stay in contact with the paper.

Thanks for the advise: I have become better with the pressure issue but funny, I write totally on a perpendicular, not even oblique!, angle. :mellow: I found out that I have to write with it the way you describe it.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Good review Bill and some good advice. Thanks.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

Would anyone mind posting some writing samples with their Namiki Falcon? I don't think I've found very many on FPN. Would be nice to see how it works for different people.

Current: Namiki Falcon with Diamine Merlot

I've owned a Falcon for several years, bought it back when Ashford.com was selling off pens. Mine is a medium and the nib is almost as broad as a Western medium. My one caveat with the Falcon is the fragility of the plastic. It scratches quite easily, even if one is careful with one's pens. So use more than routine care if you get a Falcon. Otherwise, it's a lot of fun to write with. (Sorry, can't post pix as I have no digital camera. My scribble is not worth photographing anyway.)

I just bought one today, on sale for $109.95 at Fisher Hawaii, on my way to pick up last bottle of Mont Blanc Violet. Yipee!! :clap1:

Elena, that's a great price. I have two Namiki Falcons and they each required a little breaking in period with Waterman Blue-Black before I was really happy with them. Of all my pens the Falcon is the one that most seems to adapt to my hand. No one uses those babies but me!

You've had your pen for nearly two hours. So what do you think of it?

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter