Lamy 2000

AndyHayes

First Impressions

The pen arrived from The Pen Gallery in Malaysia. Although they had despatched it the same day and it was in the UK the next day, it took 5 days to travel from Newcastle to Shetland by truck and ferry. What I really need is someone reliable on the UK mainland who could have them posted to them and then send them by Royal Mail to me! This pen was eagerly awaited! The Pen Gallery likes to wrap their packages well. I would be very surprised if they have ever had a pen damaged. Yards of bubble-wrap paper later I had the box in hand. There is a brown cardboard sleeve over the nicely designed black ribbed cardboard box, which has a Lamy logo poking out from the layer below acting as a catch for the box. A nice packaging touch that impressed me.

Appearance

This is one of those pens that has been reviewed a great deal on FPN and there are plenty of pictures to be seen, so I knew exactly what it would be like. Plain, matte, black and understated is about the best description. Made from Makrolon, a material that I hadn’t seen since my bomb disposal days, I knew that this pen was built to last. A plain brushed metal clip adorns the outside. You would never know that it was a piston filler as the join is almost invisible.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/shetlink/Lamy2k1.jpg

Design/Size/Weight

It’s about a centimetre longer than a Pelikan 200. My scales are not to hand so I can’t tell you the weight. Something to add later. The design is as absolutely unassuming as I have seen in a pen. Even the Lamy Safari shouts louder than this, so if you need pocket jewellery there is nothing for you here, move along please. The only person that is likely to be impressed by this pen is the person who uses it, or rather that would usually be the case, but sadly not in my case. More of this later. I was worried about the ears, but need not have worried for a moment. If my fingers are anywhere near them then they are unnoticeable to me.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/shetlink/Lamy2k2.jpg

Pens are L - R Duke D2, Parker 51, Waterman Hemisphere, Rotring 600, Cross Century (?), Pelikan P1, Lamy 2000, Pelikan M205 and Pelikan M200 Citroenpers.

Nib

I like a broad nib. I just haven’t matured to the F and XFs that so many appreciate here. I should have taken more notice when I read that the Lamys are broader than their size suggests. Thst is certainly true. This writes more like my Pelikan 200 fitted with an OBB. I usually write my letters on cheap legal pads, but the Lamy was putting down so much Mont Blanc black as to be causing spotting on the page below. I have only seen that once before with a Parker 51, allegedly medium nibbed, but writes like a good broad filled with Caran d’Ache black. What I wasn’t prepared for was the fact that the nib skips on the uphill strokes. I thought that it was due to the way I was holding it, but I tried different ways and with no success. Eventually I noticed that it was skipping on the downward strokes as well on some occasions. I have contacted Lamy through their website to see if I can send the pen to them to be looked at and probably have the nib replaced with an oblique medium. I have to say that the obliques seem to be cut at more of an angle than the Pelikans, so I hope that it is the nib and not my holding style that is causing the problem. My loupe, ordered from electronicBay should be here tonight so I will get to have a look at the nib and see if my inexpert eye can spot anything amiss.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/shetlink/Lamy2k3.jpg

Filling System

It’s a piston filler. That should say enough really. Reliable and holds a decent amount of ink. All pens should be filled this way. There seems to be an unnecessary level of frustration involved with dismantling a pen to twist a convertor when the convertor could be bigger and able to be twisted from the outside of the pen. Perhaps it’s me being a moaning old Jessie again though! Judging by the level of joy that Pelikan owners comment on their piston filling systems, perhaps others might agree with me! The mechanism is a little stiff compared to the Pelikan so I will ask Lamy to attend to that if the pen ends up back in the hands of its maker.

Cost and Value

At just over half the UK cost including delivery you have to say that this is a bargain. It is just unfortunate that mine isn’t to the standard that others on this forum have found theirs to be. Under normal circumstances £56 for a bullet-proof piston filler would be a gift.

Conclusion

Initial excitement soon tunred to disappointment when I found that my pen wasn’t working, but I know from the excellent reviews that this pen has had by almost every other reviewer on this forum and elsewhere that I was just unlucky. Once Lamy have looked at it I am sure that it will be absolutely brilliant. I intend to keep you up to date with the progress.

Edited by AndyHayes

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyHayes

• corten

• tamburlaine

• tankahn

Good review Andy, too bad about having to send it back so soon. Those must have been slow trucks getting it to you... :ltcapd:

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

Andy, thanks for the review. I bought a Lamy 2000 (extra fine nib) about 10 days ago. I couldn't be happier with it, except that the extra fine nib is broader than I would like. I hope you get yours repaired properly so you can start to enjoy it.

I was also another unhappy guy. It skips unless you get the angle exactly right. It even squeaks. My local dealer even charge for a replacement. And it looks like an old nib with one side worn off. But it is acceptable and I am ok with it. Good luck and let us know your progress.

James

Conclusion

Initial excitement soon tunred to disappointment when I found that my pen wasn’t working, but I know from the excellent reviews that this pen has had by almost every other reviewer on this forum and elsewhere that I was just unlucky. Once Lamy have looked at it I am sure that it will be absolutely brilliant. I intend to keep you up to date with the progress.

No leaking and Lamy have asked me to send the pen back for a nib swap.

This story could have a happy ending.

No leaking and Lamy have asked me to send the pen back for a nib swap.

This story could have a happy ending.

When I swapped my nib for an EF (not due to anything faulty - just wanted a different size) I got it back in 10 days. Couldn't be happier with my ultra-smooth (but ultra-wide) EF! I'm truly appreciating the fuller, wet line, and it appears to be enjoying Pelikan ink. Anyway, Lamy Service Centre is super!

I'm so sorry you're having problems with this pen, one of the best there is in my opinion. I'm sure things will work out fine. :)

Publifhed According to the True Originall Copies

hello

I have got a question0 in what way have you contacted Lamy Service Centre? I have sent them a message through a form on their website concerning changing nib in my L2K. It was week ago and...there is no response at all..

Maybe do you have some email to them ? Would be grateful

regards

jacek

hello

I have got a question0 in what way have you contacted Lamy Service Centre? I have sent them a message through a form on their website concerning changing nib in my L2K. It was week ago and...there is no response at all..

regards

jacek

Hi,

Perhaps they are on holiday - or are just returning and catching up on things. I sent a little message to their praises/complaints thing (highly praising Lamy! :)) and it was a couple of weeks until I got a reply. He apologised for it saying they were just back from holiday. Maybe leave it a few more days if you can.

Perhaps I caught the repair centre just before they went on holiday.

I have the direct email of the helpful lady from the service centre that dealt with my emails, if you want it drop me a PM. Don't want to post the email up here just in case of any robotic SPAM thingy email-harvesters (whatever that is).

But either way, the email form on their website will send it to the same place as a direct email.

Good luck!

Patrick

Edited by patrick1314

Publifhed According to the True Originall Copies

hello

I just used the web form one evening. There was no contact the next day, but the day after I got a response.

I have put the wrong email address into these things before now, although not on this site, so how about trying again.

The pen went back this morning using Royal Mail Airsure. Nearly £8 but worth it for the security and trackability as it appears that a pen that I ordered from electronicBay has gone missing in the system. That was uninsured, but thankfully only £10.

I decided on an OM in the end and have asked them to have a look at the piston as it seems a little stiff at the end of the travel.

I will let you know how it is on its return.

• 3 weeks later...

The Lamy came back today after two weeks away. I have to say that it is like a different pen on two counts. The pen is now fitted with an OM nib and it is a good deal thinner than the OB that it was fitted with. The nib is as typically medium as I have ever seen. Whilst at Lamy they also greased the piston, something that should have been done prior to leaving the factory. There is a big difference now in the smoothness.

Lamy have saved the day with the work that they have done. My only complaint is that they didn't dry the pen particularly well after testing and there was watery ink in the cap and around the nib and feed unit. I didn't spot it until too late, but it is a minor complaint.

And so, the saga ends on a happy note...that's great news and hope you will enjoy the pen Andy.

regards,

Mike

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

My only complaint is that they didn't dry the pen particularly well after testing and there was watery ink in the cap and around the nib and feed unit

Fussy guys you scots (kidding). Lamy factory test their pens, hence the ink.

Great to see that you have got a good result-every time I go to use my Lamy 2000 I get a little smile on my face, I have it loaded with Lamy Blue (what else), and the 50mL bottle comes with blotting paper underneath, plus the bottle has a little well to help you get the last of the ink out...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Glad to hear that you have successfully solved your problem.

Me..I still waiting for answer from Lamy Service Centre. Although I have sent them 2 messages - still have NO response...

sad...

Glad to hear that you have successfully solved your problem.

Me..I still waiting for answer from Lamy Service Centre. Although I have sent them 2 messages - still have NO response...

sad...

PM sent

• 11 months later...

A year on - well almost. I have decided that I ought to revisit some of my reviews to see if the initial shine has worn off.

The love affair with the Lamy 2000 continues as many pens languish in cases, pots and various containers, or have been given away. I have found that the pen is especially suited to Waterman Havana and with its OM nib it even writes acceptably on moleskine notebooks that I use for notes at work.

I carry the Lamy with me everywhere that I go in the pocket of my cargos. Its a tough cookie and I don't particularly take care of it, although I am not intentionally harsh with it either. I could put it back in the box and sell it as new such is the condition of it.

The initial problems with the nib and the stiff piston have long since been forgiven. I often think about buying another one, but what would be the point. It's such a bulletproof pen that I am unlikely to damage it. The only risk is loss. A few days ago I left it on a desk in another department. I very quickly missed it and rushed back to recover it.

If function is more important to you than anything then I would thoroughly recommend buying a Lamy 2000. If you like pocket jewellery then you are unlikely to appreciate this pen.

You make the 2000 sound good, Andy, even though I've sworn off Lamy for the troubles I had with the Studio. I may rethink it one day.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I have had my Lamy 2000 BB nib for almost a year and have had nary a problem with it . Always writes a nice wet line first time every time. I do wish that it was a bit larger and weightier in the hand, but no big woo. I like it more and more with each usage. Now if I could just bear to part with it for 17 plus weeks and send it to Richard Binder and have it converted to a 1.0 stub.

Oberon

• 1 year later...