Stipula Novecento Terra-cotta

handlebar

It's always a thrill when receiving a pen in the post!!! New or used,i will never tire of such events.

It has been awhile since my last purchase and so when this Stipula came up for sale,i jumped on it like a toad on a junebug!

A similar pen was reviewed by Noble Savage quite awhile back,in 2005. Here is that review https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=4492

This series encompassed a few different styles and finishes.The black and red colour of the previous review is beautiful.

But i was intrigued by the thought of a "terra-cotta" colour and really desired this pen.

So here are my impressions of another Stipula.

Weight/Size: 4 out of 5

I was impressed straight away with the size and weight.Well balanced and almost perfect in my hand.The pen is 5-1/4" capped and 6" posted.

The cap screws on snugly with only a little over one turn.I assume the composition is hard rubber but the texture reminds on of the terra-cotta

planters one sees in the garden.Almost feels the same as well.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/SN41.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/SN31.jpg

Ink/filler system: 3 out of 5

Typical universal converter with this pen.Would love to have seen a piston fill but this is fine.

Nib performance: 4 out of 5

This pen was shipped with an Extra Fine nib,a Stipula 18k gold tip.I decided to swap it with my Florentia and make it a fine point.The Stipula nibs are a delight to use and are among the best i have.The smaller nibs are not as smooth as the larger Etruria nibs,but still wonderful.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/SN11.jpg

Here is a photo of the nib when on my Florentia:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/S111-small.jpg

The EF is now on the Florentia and works nice.Writes more like a fine though.Not a dramatic difference.

Appearance/Design:4 out of 5

What appeals to me with this pen is the unusual colour and design.The colour is not one i can remember seeing on any others except maybe the Omas Jerusalem and it's cardinal red,which has an orange tint.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/SN21.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/SN81.jpg

Price/value: N/A

I didn't rate this as the pen was a stunning bargain.Whats nice is when a fellow FPN member decides to sell a pen,it is not always price which dictates the exchange.This seller just didn't use or like it too much and let it go at a fraction of it's retail.If I'm correct,it retailed for $325 or so a few years back.

So a delightful bargain for me!

Conclusion:

I now have three Stipula pens in my collection.All three are stunning writers and take an honored place in my ensemble.I might even say that they are on equal level with my Omas .

Here are a few shots of the three together.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/SN51.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h93/n7myw/Pens/SN71.jpg

Now i hope to find a Novecento Rex someday!

JD

Vancouver,Wa

Edited by handlebar

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• handlebar

• omasfan

• greencobra

• jonro

Hi JD. Congrats on the score and picking up that pen. Super review also, thanks.

I've eyed the terra cotta version of this pen a few times but could never find it available. Enjoy it!

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Wow, the texture of this pen looks intriguing, very clayey, almost the color of tandoori chicken :roflmho:

Do you know for sure if it's hard rubber? Does it have the "smell" of brimstone?

Well, what pen will follow next? Maybe an old-style Arco Paragon??? :roflmho: :roflmho:

Wow, the texture of this pen looks intriguing, very clayey, almost the color of tandoori chicken :roflmho:

Do you know for sure if it's hard rubber? Does it have the "smell" of brimstone?

Well, what pen will follow next? Maybe an old-style Arco Paragon??? :roflmho: :roflmho:

It most certainly has that burnt smell to it.Hard rubber i would guess.

Next pen up on my list is a Conklin i bought for workplace use.Thats all though.

JD

It has been awhile since my last purchase and so when this Stipula came up for sale,i jumped on it like a toad on a junebug

I just love this pen! If one were ever to come up when I had the money to spare, I would jump on it like a... like a... Well, I can't think of anything better than your "toad on a junebug" so I'll leave it at that. Thanks for the nice review.

Dave

Excellent review, I agree with you too bad it was not a piston filler. I like the leather journal it was posed on, nice touch. Are you going to try to find some terracota ink to match?

Cheers.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

This is a good review. Thank you. Congrats on your pen.

I have been so enamoured of the Etruria that I have not gotten around to trying a Novecento. I like the looks of the Novecento model, and the color and texture of this pen look very interesting. I can only agree about Stipula's nibs. I have had nothng but good experiences with mine and I love them. I have got to try a Novecento, but I think I just might save up and try hard for that Rex.

Excellent review, Jim! You have good taste ;)

Now, was it difficult swapping out the nibs, or do they screw out?

Hi Maja,

Swapping nibs was very easy as they unscrew.Simple change out siilar to the omas nibs.

Now i have three very nice Stipula pens:Etruria,Florebtia and Novecento.Off to find the Rex for a good price now!

JD

Edited by handlebar

Swapping nibs was very easy as they unscrew.Simple change out siilar to the omas nibs.

JD

What the heck??? OMAS nibs are screw-in units? Have I missed something? Do you mean only the nib and the feed screw out or the entire section? I know that the section does unscrew but then needs to be sealed again. Let me know if I have missed something here. Curious OMAS owners need to know. :rolleyes:

Great review! I'm a big Stipula fan, too. I just bid on 3 Stipulas in an auction, thinking others loved them as much as I do (hence the 3 bids), except few others bid and now I have 3 new Stipulas arriving any day in the mail! I've always had great luck with Stipula nibs straight out of the box, too. Didn't know they were swappable (good news!).

Guns, Gams, and Gumshoes: http://writingpis.wordpress.com/

Colleen Collins Books http://colleencollinsbooks.com/

JD

What the heck??? OMAS nibs are screw-in units? Have I missed something? Do you mean only the nib and the feed screw out or the entire section? I know that the section does unscrew but then needs to be sealed again. Let me know if I have missed something here. Curious OMAS owners need to know. :rolleyes:

The 2 Paragon's and Milords i have are all screwed in.Yes,they should be resealed if you take them apart but to be truthful,i have done so and never resealed them and not had an ounce of problems.No leaking,etc.Maybe i have been fortunate. :thumbup:

JD

Nice pen with a very unique colour. I was fortunate enough to be given a tour of the Stipula factory when I was in Florence this June. Very nice folks. I got to see how a pen is created from a drawing on paper to CAD illustration; from CAD to the cap and barrel being cut and final assembly. They also repaired one broken pen and tweaked one of my rough italic nibs. The place had a cottage industry appearance. A very nice small business. After the tour they showed me their complete line of pens and let me try a sampling of nibs. Stipula, along with Omas, Aurora, and Montegrappa, prove that the best fountain pens are made in Italy.

"Giving power and money to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

P.J. O'Rourke

Nice pen with a very unique colour. I was fortunate enough to be given a tour of the Stipula factory when I was in Florence this June. Very nice folks. I got to see how a pen is created from a drawing on paper to CAD illustration; from CAD to the cap and barrel being cut and final assembly. They also repaired one broken pen and tweaked one of my rough italic nibs. The place had a cottage industry appearance. A very nice small business. After the tour they showed me their complete line of pens and let me try a sampling of nibs. Stipula, along with Omas, Aurora, and Montegrappa, prove that the best fountain pens are made in Italy.

Thanks for that story.I would love to go to Italy for a "pen tour".

So far,i still believe as you do that the italian pens are best.

JD