Kaigelu #316 FP review

tipstricks

Gosh...my first review on FPN! :embarrassed_smile:

Found on ebay from Japan (what a great postage service from Tokyo: 7 days to come in Italy!).

It's a beautiful example of a low-cost FP.

Full size, medium weight:

barrel dia.: 13 mm

cap dia.: 15.2 mm

long capped: 137 mm

long posted: 176 mm

weight: 43 grams

Lovely semi-transparent acrilyc resin, white/black veined colours.

Screw type cap, screw type converter.

Medium, two tones gold plated nib, write very smooth.

It's engraved with kangaroo logo, same in the cap top.

Pen is a little too heavy with posted cap, I prefer write without, cause it's better balanced.

-size

-material & colours

-price

-feel good writing

Dislikes:

-cap screwing is difficult cause low quality of thread (M12 x 1.5 double threaded screw; if I will find the right tool I'll try to adjust it)

-nib gold plating: not well made, it's disaligned to the engraved shapes.

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/8876/02qd4.jpg

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/5387/04eg6.jpg

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/8351/06ub3.jpg

Here are some other shots, last is a writing example with black brilliant Pelikan ink:

The package

Kaigelu #316

Top of the cap

Dismantling nib section

Writing example

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh20/tipstricks_photo/31032009052_cr.jpg - My albums

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John Cullen

• handlebar

• Vintage Pens Fan

• isellpens

hi thanks for the review and shots. That is exactly the pen I was looking at. It looks much like the Parker duofold international in black and white.

I have really had mixed experiences with cheap steel nibs. Some have been wonderfully smooth, but the last few I had were terrible writers. It is funny that some companies product such nice steel nibs for very little and some produce these garbage nibs that must cost 50 cents a piece. Sorry to hear yours is not so great. Professional help is available but at 30 bucks, which is probably close to the cost of the pen.

anyway, thanks again, j

That's a pretty pen! Thanks for the thorough review and the images you posted -- it's always fun to see a writing sample.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. Thanks for the great review. I was on isellpens website and was looking at the exact one!

I came to FPN to see if there were any reviews. Thanks. You gave me a good reason to get one. I think I'll get a gray/amber or charcoal (as I can't afford $400 real doufolds).

Uh huh...I was looking at a Kaigelu like this one. I was turned off by the crappy plating. It looks like some kind smeared gold on the nib with a dull crayon.

Renzhe

• 3 months later...
Uh huh...I was looking at a Kaigelu like this one. I was turned off by the crappy plating. It looks like some kind smeared gold on the nib with a dull crayon.

Last week, I got the amber model. The first thing I did was check the nib because, after reading the posts in this thread, I was concerned. The one I got looks great. The gold is aligned properly to the engraving. Also, it is an incredibly smooth nib. The pen is slightly heavier that I might like, but not bad, and, if I don't post, is perfect. I'd get another one without hesitation.

http://home.earthlink.net/~athanatos/John-Sig%203.png

"Let those who don't want none

have memories of not gettin' any."

—Bro. David Gardner

• 2 weeks later...

i got this model (picture borrowed from isellpens.com)

and yes... the gold tone engraving on the nib is also missaligned.

also it has a nib drying issue do to air sipping thru the clip/cap... but when i prime it and it get to write it's very smooth and wet.

i dont care much for it and i don't think i'l get another kaigelu... i do like the kangaroo logo though!!!!!