ink colours for check writing

Sakura

Yes, cheques are pretty much dead now throughout Europe. On Viseguy's point ("Clearance may be delayed; if your payment is late, your credit rating may be hurt; if the check can't be processed, it may be treated as a bounced check and your bank may charge a fee. ") this would not happen here; it would be illegal for the Bank to treat a properly-executed instruction that way.

Ray

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sakura

• Col

• Ray

• encephalartos

Top Posters In This Topic

These discussions always remind me that the US payment system is still very much based on checks for some reason. On the other hand, Europe (or at least, Scandinavian countries or at the very least Finland) has moved to a very different direction: Even though checks as such are recognised in Finland (there is even a specific law for them), I think currently no retailer will accept checks as payment. Instead, payment is cash, direct debit card or credit card.

Checks are alive and kicking here in France...Marseille at least (people accuse the Provençal people of being "different" from the rest...I don't think checks are the key point of difference). I do agree that checks enjoy slightly wider popularity in the US though.

schreibvergnuegen

visit my blog! the teahouse

A cheque is still the preferred method of payment sent through the post, though. IME, a surprising number of eBay buyers in the UK prefer it to using PayPal, for example. And for large payments, such as a deposit on property or a car, the usual method is by banker's draft (not specifically relevant to the topic, since it's like a special, pre-printed cheque).

Edited by Col

Col

These discussions always remind me that the US payment system is still very much based on checks for some reason. On the other hand, Europe (or at least, Scandinavian countries or at the very least Finland) has moved to a very different direction: Even though checks as such are recognised in Finland (there is even a specific law for them), I think currently no retailer will accept checks as payment. Instead, payment is cash, direct debit card or credit card.

Checks are alive and kicking here in France...Marseille at least (people accuse the Provençal people of being "different" from the rest...I don't think checks are the key point of difference). I do agree that checks enjoy slightly wider popularity in the US though.

In the USA, there isn't a law limiting your liability for fraudulent direct debits. So, if a debit card is stolen,

the law doesn't require a limit as there is if your credit card goes missing and then is reported. With a

debit card, the criminal can simply drain your account, and you have no protection. (Though mileage

MIGHT vary with particular banks, they can also change the fine print in the agreement on you next

month.)

NorwestInterstateMegabank has periodic campaigns to sign people up for debit cards. If you go in

and encounter a teller, they expect there to be a combination ATM and debit card for every account.

(This is not good bookkeeping practice for an account with two signers.) If you don't have one,

they try to sign you up, to which a snappy reply is:

"I don't need your debit card, I have real credit cards."

Without asking, they send replacement ATM & debit combo cards to replace previous "plain ATM" cards.

Then, to get the plain ATM card, it is necessary to talk to a phone customer "service" rep, and that

poor shlep's supervisor, while channeling one's inner evil twin. (They have all been to some

class on how to "delight" customers and mostly their speciality is apologizing, rather than completing

any mission.)

:ninja:

Hi there

Have always used Blue or Black for cheque writing and will probably always do so.

Hve received a bottle of Diamine Registrar's Ink this morning and its perfect for writing cheques.

Kind regards

NIGEL

Exploding Ink Maestro

Pens: Caran d'Ache Leman Godron, Lamy Safari, Italix Parsons Essential, Mont Blanc LeGrande '90 years' Edition, Sigma Style, Italix Vipers Strike, Parker Sonnet, Omas 360, Parker Duofold (c.1950), Conway Stewart #286, Conway Stewart #24, Onoto Magna Classic in Chased Midnight Blue and SS Trim

In the US, many merchants will accept a check in-store, but the ID requirements are a nuisance. Credit or debit cards are easier to use. But for items paid through the mail (especially the credit card bill from the above), a check is best. I have signed up for direct debit with some utilities to cut how many checks i write. But I am a little cautious about the "debit first, then dispute" mode. If I am disputing a bill I pay by check, I can pay everything but the disputed item and begin the discussion.

I use mostly mostly blue and black for checks, and would use Noodlers bulletproof black with someone I didn't entirely know and trust. For gift checks, I have used red and green at the holidays, but I use dark shades that scan well. The bank doesn't seem to care. I think the bank has the right to request a shade that gives sufficient contrast that both humans and machines can clearly "read" it. Other than that, I think there is no single "right" answer.