NoNonsense color range

Anne-Sophie

Does anyone has an idea of the range of color s this pen was m ade in

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taki

• Univer

• Sailor Kenshin

• Maja

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lots of good info here, Anne-Sophie: http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/She...rNoNonsense.htm

but it is by no means a complete list (nor does its author--our Sheaffer forum moderator Jim---claim it to be) as I have pens in colours that aren't listed (two different shades of orange, and one in tan)

Edited by Maja

Lots of good info here, Anne-Sophie: http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/She...rNoNonsense.htm

but it is by no means a complete list (nor does its author--our Sheaffer forum moderator Jim---claim it to be) as I have pens in colours that aren't listed (two different shades of orange, and one in tan)

Maja, could u show a picture of your No Nonsense collection ? :)

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Hi All,

If anybody out there has a list of all the available NN colors, I'd love to know about it. This pen had a remarkably long life, during which it was made in a bewildering array of variants, finishes and colors.

Maybe one way to break it down is by series. This does not purport to be anything close to an exhaustive list, but here are a few to start with:

- "Standard" NN: chrome-finish clip and cap band, steel nib. Opaque solid colors. (Also available with calligraphy nibs.)

- Gemtones: chrome-finish clip and cap band, steel nib. Rich opaque "gem-like" solid colors. Not translucent or marbled.

- Vintage: gold-plated clip, cap band and nib. Gold-plated section trim ring. Gold-plated disc set into cap top. Three marbled colors (at least): red, blue and green. Also in solid black.

- Stainless: chrome-finish clip and cap band, steel nib. Stainless cap and barrel. I can't recall, at the moment, whether the cap and barrel are overlays over black plastic (I can check on that).

- Jellies: chrome-finish clip and cap band, steel nib. Translucent cap and barrel with subtle swirls, in a range of brights and pastels.

- Viewpoint: chrome-finish clip and cap band, steel nib. Transparent cap and barrel in a range of deeper shades. (Not sure whether these were available with standard nibs, or only as calligraphy pens.)

- Old Timer: gold-plated clip, cap band and nib. Gold-plated section trim ring. Black plastic cap and barrel with chased patterns. Sold at a significantly higher price point, in red Sheaffer boxes and with converters included.

- "Surfboard" clip models: chrome-finish cap band, steel nib. Large plastic "surfboard" shaped clip, often (always?) made of the same plastic as the barrel/cap. Definitely a 70s design. I've seen these only in opaque colors.

- Tagalong: chrome-finish cap band, steel nib. Clipless model featuring a thick nylon cord looped through the cap top. Sold only as a ballpoint, I believe. I have also seen a clipless FP model with no provision for a cord, but this may have been a prototype. I've seen these only in opaque colors.

Now...add to this the range of custom imprints, Bicentennial graphics, sports-themed graphics, special "upscale" calligraphy-set graphics, floral graphics, and who knows what else. Don't forget the "Guys and Dolls" pens: not technically NN models (and the parts do not interchange), but close cousins. And then there are the late Viewpoint calligraphy pens (rubberized section, snap-on cap). Again, not sold as NNs, but pretty close. The current calligraphy pens still show strong evidence of NN DNA.

Bear in mind, too, that it's easy to convert a NN BP into a FP. So a Tagalong FP, although not a factory item, is definitely a possibility. (Probably not a good idea, though, because the Tagalong cap is anything but airtight.)

Again: not by any means a complete list. All the colors, over all the years? A daunting (maybe impossible) task. But there's no harm (and potentially lots of entertainment) in trying.

Cheers,

Jon

PS Maja, I would also love to see a photo of your collection!

Edited by Univer

The NN is a great everyday pen, I have a number of them in various colours, including some marbled vintage BPs bought for I think 25p each in all three colours, that I extracted the spring from and swapped with a nib section. Handily they also take nibs from the Balance II and Connaissuer (am currently playing around with an 18ct OM nib from a Balance II in my SS version)

Personal favourites are the SS ones (they are overlaid on plastic) and the Old Timers (but these are quite hard to come by). Must admit don't really like the version with the rubberized section and snap on lid, although other may prefer them.

A nice pen to use that probably comes in enough varieties to base a collection on.

Andy,

Agreed 100% right down the line. The SS is a lovely pen that seems to travel well under the radar of the collecting community. And the Old Timer is a surprisingly successful evocation of the old BCHR flattops - even the weight in the hand is just about right.

I have no heart for the snap-cap versions; but the good old models aren't all good either. Those surfboard clips are pretty awful. I once contacted Sheaffer service with a NN question, and the conversation came around to the subject of what NOS bits and pieces might still be sitting in the parts drawers. The immensely kind lady in Fort Madison said something like, 'Well, we have some of those surfboard clip models...{long pause}...but you wouldn't want any of those!'

In any case: a lot of variety, and a lot of fun to collect. (And much better writers than they have any right to be!)

Cheers,

Jon

Edited by Univer

I'm not Maja...But here are my NNs:

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/288/nononsense1sm5vt.jpg

I didn't even know they were made in purple until I heard about the one I bought. All of mine are the older style with the screw on cap and plastic section grip.

Wish I knew the answer to the color range question, Anne-Sophie, but I can't add anything to what's already been mentioned.

Are the ones referred to as "old timers" an even older model than what I've got? Also, I'd like to see a photo of the surfboard clip that's mentioned. TIA

Best, Ann

Hello Ann,

A lovely group of NNs! Seeing a range of colors like that always makes me smile.

The (perhaps confusingly) named Old Timers aren't really any older than your pens; in fact, they're probably newer than many of them. The "Old Timer" notion alludes to the fact that this specific series represented an attempt to replicate the look of the old Black Chased Hard Rubber Sheaffer flattops of the teens and 20s. For my money, they were pretty successful.

Here's a link to the relevant PenGallery page (with due thanks to our esteemed administrator Jim). Just scroll down to the photo of the Old Timer, and all should be clear.

http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/She...rNoNonsense.htm

Now, as for the surfboard clip...I'll try to dig one up and take a quick picture. Not exactly a design I look forward to being linked with in Web perpetuity, but anything for the cause...!

Cheers,

Jon

Hello Ann,

A lovely group of NNs! Seeing a range of colors like that always makes me smile.

The (perhaps confusingly) named Old Timers aren't really any older than your pens; in fact, they're probably newer than many of them. The "Old Timer" notion alludes to the fact that this specific series represented an attempt to replicate the look of the old Black Chased Hard Rubber Sheaffer flattops of the teens and 20s. For my money, they were pretty successful.

Here's a link to the relevant PenGallery page (with due thanks to our esteemed administrator Jim). Just scroll down to the photo of the Old Timer, and all should be clear.

http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/She...rNoNonsense.htm

Now, as for the surfboard clip...I'll try to dig one up and take a quick picture. Not exactly a design I look forward to being linked with in Web perpetuity, but anything for the cause...!

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks, Jon. Hate to admit it, but I've had that page on Jim M.'s site bookmarked for a long time and just didn't remember the reference to the "Old Timers." And thanks for being willing to look for a surfboard clip to photograph.

Best, Ann

OK, here goes, the surfboard clip. Don't blame me if you start to hear, in your imagination, bad 70s/80s TV show themes. (Aghh! Maude! The horror!)

post-2029-1185835491_thumb.jpg

These are sales samples, obviously, intended to demonstrate the range of custom imprinting options. The top pen has a self-colored clip (yes, that plastic lozenge is the clip - hence the "surfboard" monicker). The bottom pen, showing off a different customization style, sports an imprinted black clip. Both of these happen to be ballpoints.

I can't imagine actually trying to use the clip to affix the pen to a pocket; but I will say that they hold on like grim death to the elastic cord in the salesman's case, making them frustrating to remove.

I don't know whether "surfboard" was the official name for this style. I do know that my contact at Sheaffer used it freely.

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks, Ann; that purple one is a beaut! :jealous: ;)

Jon, thank you so much for your very helpful posts (as always) :) For a sec, I thought I hadn't seen a "surfboard" NoNonsense...but then your photos made the memories come flooding back :headsmack:

Ann-Sophie, I will see what I can do, photo-wise. I need some sunlight for the photo and tomorrow is supposed to be quite sunny outside....

I didn't even know they were made in purple until I heard about the one I bought. All of mine are the older style with the screw on cap and plastic section grip.

Wish I knew the answer to the color range question, Anne-Sophie, but I can't add anything to what's already been mentioned.

Are the ones referred to as "old timers" an even older model than what I've got? Also, I'd like to see a photo of the surfboard clip that's mentioned. TIA

Best, Ann

Ann, your picture was the inspiration for that thread . I n my hast e in posting , I forgot to reference it . I have the purple but I heard about a pink one so I hope you will forgive me for not mentioning your picture :)

Ann is the one at left of the purple a pink ones? And if so were any pastel pink made ?

By the way anybody owning NN is welcomed to post pictures.

Anne-Sophie--the pen to the left of the purple one is a rose colored marbled pen. I'd guess that somewhere along the line they made a pink one, maybe pastel, maybe hot pink (but I haven't seen one.) I didn't think anyone would have remembered my photo from when I posted it sometime ago. No problem that you didn't reference it.

Maja, if I ever see another purple one I'll let you know!

Jon, thanks for the pic of the surfboard clip pens. I've never seen one that I recall.

Best, Ann

• 2 months later...

Joining the party late - but wow, what a collection! Two colours of Viewpoint - and that black one with the silver detail on the cap is stunning! Do you know what the model's called?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/yellowchaps/NN1.jpg

This NN Sheaffer called "Le Bordeaux" and I call it Aubergine. It has gold plated trim and nib, totally interchangeable with all other NN parts. The end of the barrel and cap are smooth, no indentations, no medallions. This one has a M nib. I'm not sure in the series when this one was made but I have an impression that it was very late. The picture was taken outside in the sun with flash, it looks a little darker inside or under artificail light.

This pen also has the gold ring between the section and the barrel. The Old Timer series also had the gold ring. The clip on this pen is marked in small letters SHEAFFER U.S.A.

• 5 months later...

I have two of the last ones with the "germany" nib, rubber grip

Edited by Garageboy

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know where you can order replacement nib sections? I have a pair of NoNonsense pens I got in a calligraphy set, but I'd prefer not to use the Italic nibs they came with. Any tips? Nothing gold-plated; just regular stainless steel will do nicely.

Edited by DavidH