Fountain Pen Database Available for Download

jonro

I haven't heard of any other printing issues, but in the next version, I'll allow you to change the scaling and page orientation when you print. The next version is being tested now and will be released in the near future.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jonro

• TrevorML

• Bisquitlips

• kudzu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I, too, have the problem of the right side of my pages being cut off when printing regardless of whether I print landscape or portrait, or even if I tell my printer Fit to Scale the document. But looks like there's a new version of the data base just around the corner, so I'm anxiously awaiting its release. Thanks every so much. A great boon to our community.

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

• 2 weeks later...

What a great job you did on the Mac version of this program. Though I only have 2 pens at the moment I am sure I will be getting a lot of use out of this database in the future. Thanks for sharing your efforts!

Cheers,

Steve

Jon, if for some reason I haven't added my "Amen" to this thread, I'll add it now. "Amen, brother!" :thumbup:

This is an exceptionally nice program, and it's been really nice to be able to categorize my collection (although also a little condemning - God help me if the main squeeze ever takes a gander at it).

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Hi,

I have realized a version of the jonro database (more or less the same field and structure) for smartlisttogo, a db application running under PalmOS. I do not know how many palm user there are here, but in the case I can share the database (the only problem is that my database is not a standalone applicaiton, you will need smartlisttogo).

An alternative for PalmOS could be to try to use the jonro database with Filemaker mobile, this should also make possibile to synchronize the handheld with a desktop computer; since I never used Filemaker I'm not sure if this is a feasible option.

Ciao

Genny

Thanks for the excellent database... much appreciated.

would it be possible to make an "advanced" or "vintage" version that has a full breakdown of all details such as the following list (with example data) ripped off from an eBay auction I saw some time back and have since forgotton who the seller was...

GENERAL

Manufacturer: Croxley

Model: The Croxley Pen

Country of Origin: UK

Dating from (Approximately): 1940's

Filler Type: Lever Filler

Finish:  Green Marble

Trim: gold filled trim

Length: 124mm, 148mm with cap posted.

Overall Condition: Very Good.

CAP

Clip: Gold filled clip, tight, excellent condition, brassing to the end.

Cap Rings: single cap ring - slight brassing.

Marks / Damage: Microscopic surface wear marks and scratches.

Lettering: none

Personalised: No.

BODY

Filling Lever:  gold filled, good condition, not bent.

Blind Cap: N/A

Lettering: "The Croxley Pen, A Dickinson Product, Made in Gt Britain"

Marks / Damage: Microscopic surface wear marks and scratches.

Personalised: No.

NIB

Type: 14ct Gold

Size: Fine, very flexible 

Lettering: "A Dickinson Product, 14ct Gold" 

Nib Condition: Superb, nicely flexible, writes beautifullyl.

Feed Type: Original manufacturers.

Writes: Beautifully

FILLING MECHANISM

Type: Lever filler

Filling Mechanism: in excellent condition

Ink Sack: recently replaced

Holds Ink: Perfectly  

Edited by TrevorML

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the data base. I'm a new user; first time logging in and it just so happens that this is just what i was looking for and figured I'd have to purchase! This is great -- and for a Mac no less! Thanks so much once again. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

I started building one a couple of days ago using FM7. I then found this and downloaded it. It's a stunning piece of work and I intend to punch in my very small collection this evening.

As a thankyou I am going to donate a little something to FPN. I hope that you approve.

Thanks again

Andy

I haven't heard of any other printing issues, but in the next version, I'll allow you to change the scaling and page orientation when you print. The next version is being tested now and will be released in the near future.

Hi, Jonro - I'm holding off adding to the original database, waiting for the new version. How close are you, or should I go ahead and use the older version, even if I can't print things out now without losing the right side of the page? Will the two versions be compatible, or will I have to reenter all my data? (That's why I've been holding off - I don't want to do that twice!) Again, what a great asset to FPN.

Thanks, Kudzu

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

The new database is ready to go. I just need to do a little additional testing on the routines that import data from the old version. I hope to post the new version by the end of the week.

I started building one a couple of days ago using FM7. I then found this and downloaded it. It's a stunning piece of work and I intend to punch in my very small collection this evening.

As a thankyou I am going to donate a little something to FPN. I hope that you approve.

Thanks again

Andy

That's a nice thought Andy. I'm sure that FPN can use the additional funds.

Regards,

Jon

The new database is ready to go. I just need to do a little additional testing on the routines that import data from the old version. I hope to post the new version by the end of the week.

that is excellent news indeed... any chance of seeing the new features list ;) :rolleyes:

Edited by TrevorML

that is excellent news indeed... any chance of seeing the new features list ;) :rolleyes:

Sure. I'll post it with the new version. :)

:D

I assume lotsa "pretty please" won't help :lol:

I will say this much: After the next release, you won't have any trouble tracking your inks and ink recipes. You will also be able to pay for your pens in Dollar, Euros, Shekels, or any other currency.

that is great to hear... any word on the extra data fields for us with a vintage pen addiction :blush:

I've posted a new version of the Fountain Pen Inventory database that includes nearly every request I received that I fellt would improve the database. The biggest changes are the inclusion of a section for inks and ink recipes. Because of the large number of international users, i included two currency fields. One is for the buyer's native currency. The other is for the currency used to purchase the pen, if different. There is a currency table that includes nearly every country on the planet. But, if your's isn't on the list, you can add it.

Nearly everyone is going to want to import their data from the previous version of the database. The new version has an item under the Fountain Pens menu for importing data. Make sure the old version of the database is closed before you start the import. The database will ask if you are running the original version or a more recent version. Unless you are one of a handful of beta testers, select the original version. Select the old version when asked and the data will be transferred to the new version.

The URL of the download page is http://www.jonro.com/downloads/. As before, there is no charge, and you are welcome to share it with your friends. I hope you like the new features and enjoy using the new version.

Jon

Some of the changes in the new version:

Added Year of Manufacture to main screen, allowing for freeform text entry (i.e., Circa 1937)

Subtotal for Purchase Price on Listview

Added FPN Username field

Added Print icon to tableview

Added Sort icon to Listview

Increased size of Description and Miscellaneous

Added slideshow arrows to “big photo” view

Sort in Listview by clicking on column titles

Added Show Unsold Pens to menu

Added Navigation menu and improved navigation with keyboard shortcuts

Fixed caption to display correctly on main page

Fixed issue where generating review would send you to main tab

Added Inks to the database with a bunch of fields and ink samples

Added Ink Recipes in a portal in a tab on the Inks layout

Changed Design in Reviews to Desgin/Size/Weight

Changed Reviews to include rating, if there is a value

Changed layout of Reviews page to move button to left side of screen for visual appeal

Added localized price field with international currencies

Fixed error of Conclusion field on table view and replaced it with Miscellaneous

Cool! Can't wait to try it out!

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter