• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• ksskss

• churl

• HenryLouis

I picked up another Preppy. The pink is a great color!

The pink certainly is cute! (even though I'm not really a pink-gal :P) I may need to get some of these... Does the colour on the nib scratch off over time?

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4619/inkxchangemm0.png Currently out of vials.my ink list

Ink of the moment: mix of Noodler's Lermontov, Britannia's Blue Waves, and Whiteness of the Whale

Anybody happen to locate a converter that fits this pen?

"LIFE………….is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What A Ride!"

The pink certainly is cute! (even though I'm not really a pink-gal :P) I may need to get some of these... Does the colour on the nib scratch off over time?

So far, my blue-black one hasn't had any chipping of the nib color, but the writing tip is colorless (exposed steel), and maybe it's gotten a little larger over time, but not noticeable.

As far as converters, I am told that the Platinum converters do fit, but not well. In any case, I reload my carts anyway with a syringe.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Earlier in the thread someone asked about converting the Preppy to an eyedropper. I tried it out myself on three pens, using silicone grease on the threads. I only filled the barrel of each about 1/3rd full. So far, after a week of use, none of the pens have leaked or even come close to leaking. One of them, however, is tending to flood the feed, although this has not yet caused any problems on the nib or in writing.

I wouldn't trust the set-up enough to throw of the pens in a purse or a pocket, but for keeping and using on my desk it has been very nice. I really enjoy watching the ink slide up and down the transparent barrel (ink matching the color on the cap, of course!).

I don't recommend this if you are wary of making a mess or of possibly hurting the pen. But, it has been fun for me!

Macrina

Hello,

Earlier in the thread someone asked about converting the Preppy to an eyedropper. I tried it out myself on three pens, using silicone grease on the threads. I only filled the barrel of each about 1/3rd full. So far, after a week of use, none of the pens have leaked or even come close to leaking. One of them, however, is tending to flood the feed, although this has not yet caused any problems on the nib or in writing.

I wouldn't trust the set-up enough to throw of the pens in a purse or a pocket, but for keeping and using on my desk it has been very nice. I really enjoy watching the ink slide up and down the transparent barrel (ink matching the color on the cap, of course!).

I don't recommend this if you are wary of making a mess or of possibly hurting the pen. But, it has been fun for me!

Macrina

You might try a small O-ring in addition to the silicone grease. I'm going to try it on my Wality and see if that improves the very occasional tendency to blob onto the paper. If it is a definite improvement, I'll post on it.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Donnie,

Thanks--I look forward to hearing how that works for you. My husband was so shocked to see me buying silicone grease, since I'm not very mechanically minded. If I start buying o-rings, he's really going to wonder what's going on!

Thanks again--

Macrina

... unlike the Varsity, it need not be thrown away.

The Varsity aka V-Pen can easily be refilled. Check here, among other places, for some info on how to do it.

I've done it many times: the whole nib end of the pen just pulls out like a cork. A pair of pliers makes it easy -- and if you happen to have parallel jaw pliers you can do it without scratching the nib or scoring the plastic -- but some folks do it by simply wrapping the nib in a paper towel and pull, hard.

Careful on the refill: since the nib end snaps back in you'll have an ink geyser if you over-fill it. MESSY!

I'd also recommend caution if you slide the nib off the feeder assembly: under the nib is a fiber feeder that is easily damaged.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
My platinum converter fits the Preppy but no ink will flow through the nib....I cannot believe it!

Hi RobertJ,

That's funny....as there are many people who has reported that they have successfully used platinum converter for Preppy in Japan! Is there any issue with ink flow when you use the cartridge? Mine is quite dry when I used the cartridge (haven't checked converter yet)

I agree that this is a very good pen (for this price range). I like the grip of the pen, the design and so on... I have tried this pen on different types of paper and none of them seem to have any "feathering" effect; even on the back of supermarket receipts; except on my Moleskine notebook. Perhaps it's not so suitable for this type of paper... but on the whole, I love this Platinum Preppy Fountain pen. :cloud9:

I got a bunch of Preppies a few months ago, with a converter to go with each one.

Platinum fountain pen cartridges are expensive here in the USA. The brand's standard ink colors are not waterproof.

The nib is not as smooth as my Lamy Safari Fine nib; it's about as smooth as my Hero 329's. It writes wetter than the Lamy, more like the Hero. Its line is a little wider than the 329's. It's still OK for new Sheaffer Skrip Blue on bad paper.

The pen's diameter is wide enough for comfortable, continued writing.

One converter leaked out its back end, so I had to throw it out.

Another converter doesn't stay firmly in place, but it doesn't slip off super-quickly either. The others are OK.

Trying to fill a Preppy mostly full from a bottle in one session requires several steps and often results in messes. It's better to fill it just one piston travel at a time and refill it when the converter gets down to 1/3 full. This will eventually result in a mostly-full collector and reservoir. It is a transparent pen, after all.

When I hold the pen nib-up, it looks like there is a moat around the nib's holder with the breather hole at one point in the bottom of the moat. There is indeed a moat of ink around the nib holder after a filling. The way to drain this moat is to take the pen out of the bottle at 3/4 of piston travel, point the nib upward, angle and turn the pen so that the breather hole becomes a drain, and move the piston the rest of the way back. Like I said, refilling at 1/3 of converter capacity will eventually get you true fill-ups.

The cap is more airtight than the caps on some of my pens (new Sheaffer Skrip Red doesn't become discolored even after a month and a half in a capped Preppie!), but the pen doesn't start easily if it has been sitting capped and nib-upward for more than a few hours; it seems Sheaffer Skrip Blue, Red and Purple in the feed channel drain back too easily into the reservoir. Those inks stay in the collector comb, but not in the feed channel. The Preppies do start right up after even a week of no use when they have lain on their sides. That puts my Preppies in good company because the same thing happens in my A T Cross ATX, A T Cross Century II, Pilot Knight, and two Sheaffer Preludes!

• 4 months later...

I came across the preppy when i got my Lamy about a month back. Got one in blue-black out of curiosity.

I found that the nib is almost as smooth as my Lamy Safari Fine. I actually like it even better than my petit1's. Preppy tends to have less ink-flow and feathers a lot less on most (cheap) paper that I use at work. No major problem even on my daily moleskine notebook (with a bit feathering though)

It's interesting to know that the official platinum converter might fit the preppy...but given the low cost of the pen (it's around USD2.3 when i got it), would it be wothwhile to put in the cost of the converter and the ink?....i might check out the cost of the cartridges first....

One caution: the cap of my preppy actually cracked!....i dont know what happen, i just discovered that. :s Oh well, it's plastic afterall. It definitely feels more "prone to damage" than petit1.

All in all, it's a nice find and i'm going to keep it (or them). :D

Currently writing in hopelessly slanted cursive.

Working on: Italics (cursive, of course!)

Ultimate Goal: Chancery Italic!

I had four Preppy pens converted to ED fillers. Now I have three. The first one wouldn't write until I pulled the nib and reset it. Then it leaked as an ED filler, so I took off the o-ring and put a cartridge in it. The second came with the 4.5 oz. bottle of BSB I bought at the New England Pen Show. Its barrel cracked and the pen leaked all over my hands. Yes, I still have BSB colored paws. I tossed the barrel and kept the nib and cap as spare parts. I haven't yet tried the other two.

• 3 weeks later...

I've successfully used a platinum international cartridge adapter with my preppy. It looks like the product code is SPY-300.

I have had six Preppy ED conversions filled with different inks for more than three months. (Legal Lapis, Marine Green, Nikita Red, HOD. BSB, and the yellow highlighter YGP). I keep them horizontal in my desk drawer and they write instantly, no skipping. Sometimes I carry one or two in a briefcase and have had no leakage whether they were horizontal or vertical (nib up).

They all have been converted with O-Rings and I assume silicone grease on the threads. After filling the pen a little over half full, I am careful to make sure that it screws firmly against the O-Ring.

So far, so good! All are great performers! Fingers crossed!

• 3 weeks later...
Very cool, I just bought a couple myself! ;-)

Edit: NM. Found them at "jetpens.com" rather than "jpens.com." Stocked up on one of each color, and even picked up a Vista in XF and a converter. :)

Edited by Reginleif

Hello,

Macrina

I've converted multiple Preppys into ED fillers using sillicone grease and have carried them mostly in my pockets and also being tossed around in my bag. So far no accidental leaks or spills and the pens have been writing great as a ED.

Interesting pen! It looks like Japan is ready to compete with the Kultur, just in time for Waterman to stop production. How big is this pen compared to a Kultur?

I have both pens---the Kultur is very similar in length, though the Preppy appears to be a touch fatter around the barrel. The Kultur is rounded on both ends, and the Prep is a flat-top.

These are MY kinda pens! I ordered a green and a yellow.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.