Bexley Simplicity: Parkville Pen LE #2

rroossinck

I was looking through the database of reviews and realized that no one had reviewed one of these, save for the FPN Edition. So...here's my two cents on the Simplicity.

First Impressions

This was a birthday present to myself, and it arrived at a perfect time. Dennis Bowden, owner of Parkville Pen, commissioned these from Bexley and they arrived about a week or so after my birthday - maybe less. A total of 30 were made (if memory serves), half being in black with rhodium, and the others in gold trim. While not numbered, I believe that this one is #2 of the run of 15 with rhodium trim.

Initially, the only thing that kept me away from the Simplicity was the fact that they weren’t offered in many colors that I would consider to be understated. Cool colors? Absolutely. Would it look right in the breastpocket of a white oxford? That was a little more in question. Thanks to Dennis, these hit the mark perfectly, and given that the trim was available in rhodium or gold with the black finish...it was right up my alley. It was elegant without being overdone. Just what I was looking for.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1127/676925483_c6d42fa273_o.jpg

Appearance

It came in the typical Bexley packaging - a nice box, a satin-esque lining, etc. Looked good...couldn’t wait to tear it open and take a further look.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1234/677788182_b5da479479_o.jpg

Design

The design is reminiscent of the old Sheaffer flat-tops of the late 20s, and from what I understand, it was the primary source of inspiration. It’s very simple and extremely light-weight. I swear, this is the lightest pen of any of the 20-odd pens I have in my stable. It’s perfectly balanced in my hand, and I find it quite comfortable for a long stretch of writing. The plastic isn’t overly slippery, and the rhodium-plated trim came out perfectly.

One nice thing about this pen (that initially, I thought was a defect), was the way that the cap screwed on. I swear to you, I’d never had a pen with a cap that went on harder. I thought for sure that I’d messed it up and somehow had cross-threaded it and mucked it up. Dennis set me straight and told me that it was actually a feature - that Howard had had too many pens that had somehow come unscrewed while in a pocket or a placket of a shirt, and had ended up ruining a shirt. Being that I’d had a similar experience or two with some of my pens, I wasn’t complaining about this anymore at all. Terrific feature! As of this writing, I’ve owned this pen for about three (going on four) months, and haven’t had a single problem with it unscrewing when it wasn’t supposed to.

The bottom line is that this pen was designed to be simple and unadorned. It wasn’t really meant to have any extra bits that weren’t supposed to be there.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1414/677787658_2d3ad73458_o.jpg

Nib

The nib on this pen, while nothing outrageous, is terrific. It came out of the box writing perfectly, as I expected that it would. The Schmidt nibs are terrific performers, and very reliable. Mine is quite firm, which is how I like them, and I find that the line that it lays down is not wet, and not excessively dry. It starts up without a hitch regardless of the ink that’s in it, even after having sat for a week or two without being used. When writing, I don’t notice excessive smoothness (i.e., the Lamy 2000 nibs, which almost slide around too much on the page for me), nor do I feel that they’re excessively toothy.

In my opinion? Just right.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1262/676926631_45706a967d_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1293/677787972_49f8e1593e_o.jpg

Filling System

Nothing special to note here. It’s a standard c/c pen. Fills as it should.

Cost and Value

I paid the going rate for these pens, and I don’t feel that I overpaid by one single cent. In fact, I probably would have paid more for it, had Dennis asked it (don’t get any bright ideas, Bowden!).

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1362/676925091_0393071559_o.jpg

Conclusion

For the money, it’s hard to beat this one for style and quality. It looks like a million bucks, and writes like it too. Add in the fact that if you ever have a problem with it, Howard Levy and his team will take good care of you? It’s darn near perfect.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1126/676926279_9207ca5c1a_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rroossinck

• Margana

• AJP

• georges zaslavsky

Excellent review.

I've bought Bexleys from Dennis, also. A reputable dealer who enjoys sharing his knowledge with you.

No connection to Parkville Pen other than as a satisfied customer.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Glad you enjoyed the review (and the pictures).

As for the roller clip? No problems with it at all. It's distinctive, and more importantly, it functions well. I gifted an old Retro 51 rollerball with a similar clip and it didn't work half as well as this one does.

Great review and pictures!! One of the first pens I purchased was a Bexley Simplicity from an FPN member, it's a GREAT pen. I almost purchased a second one when Dennis had the black ones... NOW Im regretting not getting it :crybaby:

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” - Robert McClosky

Love the look of the pen but I've already had my birthday this year. Wonder if I could celebrate a half year birthday? :hmm1:

Thanks for the review, R. I would never have know about the LE without it.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

I'm a sucker for black and chrome/rhodium/silver, etc. Those, and the blue ones with silver-tone trim, are the ones that get me all riled up. :thumbup: As soon as I found out about it, it was destined for my collection.

I'm a sucker for black and chrome/rhodium/silver, etc. Those, and the blue ones with silver-tone trim, are the ones that get me all riled up. :thumbup: As soon as I found out about it, it was destined for my collection.

Me, too! That's why I went for the rhodium Sapporo and is it ever handsome. :wub:

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

I am with you there! Black and Silver/Rhodium grabs my attention and screams... BUY ME!! :wacko:

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” - Robert McClosky

That is one nice pen ;) It has a vintage art deco touch that I appreciate as well.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time