Parker VP review

goodguy

For Sooooo long I was dreaming about Parker VP.Just one any colour would do

I was lucky to get a call from a pen dealler in Israel asking me if I am interested in a black Parker VP.Well a week and a half later I had in my hands my first VP.I was extatic but I knew now that I have one I want all other colours,it was love in first site.A month later I got another call from him asking if I want a red VP.Well guess what a week and a half later I had the red one.In 2 more weeks I got the grey and the blue and now as far as I know I have all 4 colours produced.

These interesting pens were produced between the years 1962-1964.They were not a big hit in the markets due to its fragil filler.

This filler is really what makes this pen so interesting.Whithout it you can throw the pen away.

The filler was design to be taken out of the section and suck ink from the bottle then put back in the section and the pen is good to go.This way you dont need to clean the nib from ink like other pens.Sadly the filler is made of plastic and its pretty fragil.If the ink dried and you tried to pull the filler out you could break it so people didnt go gaga over the gragil filler.

The second interesting feature on the pen was its rotating nib.Parker invested 10 years in research till they came out with this nib that idealy everybody could move the nib to find there special comfortable spot.Parker took this smart nib design and put it in there successful Parker 75 model.

The VP looks very much like a Parker 61 with the open nib but the size is closer to the bigger Parker 51.

As you would expect from the nib it is very smooth and came in a variety of nibs.

The pen is very well balanced and comfortable to work with.The filler is working great and as long as you dont let the ink dry and clean the pen thoroughly every few weeks you have a wonderful reliable pen to work with.

These pens are relativly rare and go for a high price 100$-200$ (depend of the colour).

If you ever think of buying one always be sure to ask if the filler is in the pen and if its intact.

Respect to all

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• Ron Z

• Sam P.

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey goodguy, I was wondering if there was a demonstrator of this-would be one more for you to get...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

On an interesting note about VPs

I bid on and won a "Parker 51" but when it arrived, I immediately noticed that the cap looked odd. As it turns out, I got a 51 special body and a VP cap...

The cap looks brand new. not a scratch on it. Which is why I was interested in the pen on fleabay in the first place.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it.. If anyone needs a VP cap let me know. :)

It also teaches me to believe everything I read on that site. :roflmho:

Edited by markc

Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility.

-Carl Sagan

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.pnghttp://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.pnghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

Hey goodguy, I was wondering if there was a demonstrator of this-would be one more for you to get...

Parker VP demonstrator-dont say that I am already drooling :ltcapd:

Respect to all

i have one of these parker VPs, mint and uninked, which i found in an old stationery shop here in manila about 10 years ago for, oh, 10 dollars? :) i was sumgai that day.

Check out my blog and my pens

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting pen. A friend of mine has his since 30 years and it has never failed him.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 7 months later...
Very interesting pen. A friend of mine has his since 30 years and it has never failed him.

The only thing that you should be careful with this pen is with the filler.It could get stuck in the section and if you put on it too hard it might break the filler.

Respect to all

Just a quick question - do the VPs have a jewel inset into the bottom of the barrel? I have a Parker barrel in the same grey color, with a grey jewel but no metal ring (as found on the 61).

Thanks,

Jon

Edited by jmw19

The best way of filling these BTW is to ignore the instructions and fill as you would any pen with a converter or like a 51 aerometric - just dunk the nib in the ink and fill. Removing the filler, unless you must, is not recommended!

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Just a quick question - do the VPs have a jewel inset into the bottom of the barrel? I have a Parker barrel in the same grey color, with a grey jewel but no metal ring (as found on the 61).

Thanks,

Jon

There is indeed a silver jewel at the bottom of the barrel so it looks like you have the barrel of a grey VP.

Respect to all

Good review - and good luck in getting them all colors.

I had bid on a 75 parker - and that ended up being a VP - in intact condition - so while these are out there - they are harder to come by. Ron is 150% right (as usual:)). The correct way to use these is by filling them like regular pens. I read somewhere this was the "no clean" method from Parker - compared to the snorkel "dont have to clean", but I do not have the time line to substantiate that.

i have one of these parker VPs, mint and uninked, which i found in an old stationery shop here in manila about 10 years ago for, oh, 10 dollars? :) i was sumgai that day.

wow. can you please tell me where that shop was? maybe they're still there and still sell pens.

Pens in Rotation:

Parker 51 Aerometric, somewhere between XF and F

Parker 45 Flighter, F nib

Sheaffer Agio, F nib

Sheaffer Snorkel, M5 nib

Sailor Lecoule, F nib

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Good review - and good luck in getting them all colors.

I had bid on a 75 parker - and that ended up being a VP - in intact condition - so while these are out there - they are harder to come by. Ron is 150% right (as usual:)). The correct way to use these is by filling them like regular pens. I read somewhere this was the "no clean" method from Parker - compared to the snorkel "dont have to clean", but I do not have the time line to substantiate that.

Well just to be sure I dont use them even though they are all excellent writers so there is no risk in breaking them.

Respect to all

• 9 years later...

I have two. A blue and a red. And I don't use them either. Afraid the filler might break. Don't scold me please for reviving such an old thread.

Khan M. Ilyas

I don't mind old thread revivals, better one continuous thread than 100s on the same topic... Besides, I would otherwise never have found out about the Parker VP!

The filling system is certainly interesting, I do wonder if such a converter were doable today? Even though I much prefer piston converters over aero types (eg the now discontinued Pilot con-20), but the possibility of choosing whether to fill by submerging the nib or via converter straight is intriguing, esp if the ink level remains visible (which it isn't with the con-20 or also the Parker 51, but it seems visible here with the Parker VP).

• 2 years later...

The best way of filling these BTW is to ignore the instructions and fill as you would any pen with a converter or like a 51 aerometric - just dunk the nib in the ink and fill. Removing the filler, unless you must, is not recommended!

Sorry to be replying to an older post, but I was looking for information on the Parker VP and specifically its ink filler. I have a black VP coming in today's mail, unused and in mint condition, from 1962 but have been a bit afraid about using it given what little information I've found so far about the fragile filling system.

Thanks for your post about filling--it sounds like a good approach. I wonder if any other Parker VP owners are filling their pens as you suggest?

Yes indeed. The trick is not to mess with the filler. In the instructions it recommends pulling the filler out (it looks a little like an eyedropper, as you can see) and fill it, then re-insert it in the pen. The neck of the filler is too fragile for this to be viable for very long. But if you leave it in the pen and simply use it like an aero, it works fine!

Ron was too self-effacing to mention that he sells replacement filler units. I think if you were using a VP a lot, like the small fleet goodguy has, I'd buy a few!

Incidentally, these are really nice pens. They have a great quality feel and a good range of nibs. Plus the ability to re-angle the nib is just cool!

Ralf

I don't know that I was making them back in 2008 when I wrote that post. I must have started doing it a couple of years later, so have been making them for quit some time now. I use them in my own pens and set the original aside to keep it from getting broken. PVC sacs are used, and I've yet to hear of one failing.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• 2 years later...

Looks like I’m not the first to revive this old post.  I hope I’m not frustrating anyone!

I found a Parker VP (red) in an antique shop.  Cleaned it up and it works great!  The one problem I have with this pen is the cap is not not correct.  At some point in time, someone put an Eversharp cap on this pen and called it good.  I’m looking for a Parker VP cap.  I noticed a comment in this thread from way back in 2007 about an available Parker VP pen cap so I thought I would give it a shot.

Any available Parker VP pen caps out there for sale?

Thanks,

Steve

One fun part about fountain pen collecting is being introduced to new pen types you've never heard of, especially when they have a unique filling system. So when I had a Parker VP come across my radar, I started studying and quickly knew it had to be mine! And so she is 😍 (And for what I regard as a steal at €50!) Thus, I present to you my newest acquisition, a gray Parker VP with rolled gold cap, a #63 extra fine nib, and a PERFECT "clean filler" mechanism! 🙌🙌🙌 Super excited to get this baby inked up and in my pocket! Though--for my first time, at least--I think I will throw caution to the wind and ink her up as she was meant to be using the clean filler 😎

20220213_145810.jpg