Sheaffer Balance OS - Grey Marbled Pearl

Sarj

Guest PeteWK

There's no evidence of which I am aware that Sheaffer ever made an oversize pen in the Blue material as a production item.

Lever-fillers in Grey Pearl are even scarcer than the Vacuum-Fil variety likely because they were made for an even shorter period of time (about a year according to the information I've examined).

That's interesting. What information have you examined?

Marketing/advertising materials -- catalogs and such.

--Daniel

My issue with that is the Sheaffer Catalogs. They list a Oversize Lever pen in Pearl Grey in 1935, 1936 and 1937. I think this is one of those time when the truth is finding us.

PeteWK

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• Roger W.

• Sarj

• penpalace

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's no evidence of which I am aware that Sheaffer ever made an oversize pen in the Blue material as a production item.

Lever-fillers in Grey Pearl are even scarcer than the Vacuum-Fil variety likely because they were made for an even shorter period of time (about a year according to the information I've examined).

That's interesting. What information have you examined?

Marketing/advertising materials -- catalogs and such.

--Daniel

My issue with that is the Sheaffer Catalogs. They list a Oversize Lever pen in Pearl Grey in 1935, 1936 and 1937. I think this is one of those time when the truth is finding us.

PeteWK

The truth is definitely finding us. Only the 1936 listing is for the marbled Grey Pearl color we're discussing.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Guest PeteWK

For everyone's viewing pleasure. Catalogs dated August 1935 (No. 164), July 1936 (No. 226) and August 1937 (No. 266).

August 1935 Oversize Grey Pearl Lever Pen M8TC MBATI

July 1936 Oversize Grey Pearl Lever Pen A8T TROFA

August 1937 Oversize Grey Pearl Lever Pen P8T REZBY

Richard Binder lists the Grey Pearl as having been available from 1934 to 1938 but I don't have a catalog for either 1934 or 1938

Regards,

PeteWK

post-798-1182700849_thumb.jpg

post-798-1182700864_thumb.jpg

post-798-1182700879_thumb.jpg

Guest PeteWK
David;

The only company info on blue is from the 1932 price sheet that lists blue in the 3 different 3-25 configurations.

Roger W.

Hi Roger. Did they ever make that pen in a Junior configuration?

PeteWK

For everyone's viewing pleasure. Catalogs dated August 1935 (No. 164), July 1936 (No. 226) and August 1937 (No. 266).

Richard Binder lists the Grey Pearl as having been available from 1934 to 1938 but I don't have a catalog for either 1934 or 1938

Regards,

PeteWK

Hi Pete, I don't believe that the grey pearl listed in the 1937 catalogue is marbled. I think it is referring to the Grey striated pattern.

The earliest clip configuration that I have come across for the Grey Marbled pen is the set that I posted in this thread. That clip (flat ball humped, short clip) was first introduced in 1935.

I am reasonably confident based on catalogue information and pens in my posession that the grey marbled colour was produced for 2 years only. 1935 and 1936.

Certainly it was dropped from the August 1937 catalogue, It could of course, have been produced in the first half of 1937.

One of the rarer colours (particularly in OS). Of that there is no doubt.

Sarj

:drool: Those catalog pics are amazing! Thanks for sharing that with us! Man, I'd do a lot to pull one of those pens out of the catalog! *goes to work on time machine more*

Evan

Edited by sheafferkid

Sheaffer all the way!

Regards,

PeteWK

Thanks for posting the catalog pages. The 1935 M8TC is red-veined Grey Pearl, and the 1937 P8T is striated Gray Pearl. So as I stated, only the 1936 catalog lists the marbled Grey pearl oversized lever-filler.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer

Regards,

PeteWK

Thanks for posting the catalog pages. The 1935 M8TC is red-veined Grey Pearl, and the 1937 P8T is striated Gray Pearl. So as I stated, only the 1936 catalog lists the marbled Grey pearl oversized lever-filler.

--Daniel

Hi Daniel,

The 1935 Catalogue - Page 4 part number A8W - WABYB sure looks like a grey pearl to me.

In fact, I always took that pen to be the same one as I have.

Can you assert what makes you say that is is the red veined version?

It sure doesn't have any red veins in the photo.

Plus, I can't recall ever having seen a red veined pen which was a vac fil ?

Sarj

Daniel is correct on the gray pearl in question. The red vein variety is much more common (as uncommon as it is) as it is carried in more of the catalogues. You really have to be mindful of the codes used for gray pearl in these catalogues as to what is really going on. The casual observer will often get the worng impression as to when "gray pearl" was available versus gray pearl, red veined.

The blue in a junior exists, I've seen it many times, though it is not documented on the circa 1932 price sheet which is what I was answering to.

Roger W.

Regards,

PeteWK

--Daniel

Hi Daniel,

The 1935 Catalogue - Page 4 part number A8W - WABYB sure looks like a grey pearl to me.

I didn't say model A8W was the red veined version; I stated that the M8TC is red veined. We're specifically discussing the lever-filled OS pen.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Regards,

PeteWK

--Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I didn't say model A8W was the red veined version; I stated that the M8TC is red veined. We're specifically discussing the lever-filled OS pen.

--Daniel

Thanks for the clarification.

So we can reasonably assert that the grey pearl marbled (without red veins) was first made available in 1935 but in Vac fil only. The first mention of the grey pearl in lever fill was the 1936 catalogue - yes?

This makes sense now as I have only seen the lever fill pens with the later (radius) clip style.

Sarj

Guest PeteWK

Regards,

PeteWK

--Daniel

I'll buy the 1937 color but why would Sheaffer slip an unillustrated color under their already shown Grey Pearl (non-red veined) Vac-Fil A8W pen? That illustration is in color and the A8W is obviously not a red-veined pen. It should follow that the other's listed would be the same color. Given the evidence I'll give up 1937 and stick with 35 and 36.

Also, I have to ask. How is it that when you think it prudent you claim a pen doesn't follow the catalog as per date of manufacture but other times you insist on following it religiously? I could dredge up countless arguments you've made that you can't trust the catalogs and that various pens, though you have no proof, were made for years.

PeteWK

Guest PeteWK
Daniel is correct on the gray pearl in question. The red vein variety is much more common (as uncommon as it is) as it is carried in more of the catalogues. You really have to be mindful of the codes used for gray pearl in these catalogues as to what is really going on. The casual observer will often get the worng impression as to when "gray pearl" was available versus gray pearl, red veined.

The blue in a junior exists, I've seen it many times, though it is not documented on the circa 1932 price sheet which is what I was answering to.

Roger W.

Hi Roger. As you know simply saying it doesn't make it so. Do you have any documentation you can share? Photos, scans etc showing the pens in question (1935 especially) as being red veined opposed to the grey pearl without veins. I'm a bit dubious that Sheaffer would list an obviously non-red veined pen in the same color listing as a red veined model.

PeteWK

Guest PeteWK

Hi Sarj. I thought you'd enjoy this scan from page three of the 1935 catalog. Edit here - almost forgot the closeup.

PeteWK

post-798-1182708964_thumb.jpg

post-798-1182709128_thumb.jpg

Edited by PeteWK

Regards,

PeteWK

--Daniel

I'll buy the 1937 color but why would Sheaffer slip an unillustrated color under their already shown Grey Pearl (non-red veined) Vac-Fil A8W pen? That illustration is in color and the A8W is obviously not a red-veined pen. It should follow that the other's listed would be the same color. Given the evidence I'll give up 1937 and stick with 35 and 36.

I don't know what you mean about slipping a color under the A8W pen; there's nothing under that pen. There is a sample set of pens shown, and under that is a table of all the offerings in that line.

'A' is the color code for marbled Grey Pearl. 'M' is the color code for red-veined Grey Pearl. There are lots of red-veined Grey Pearl pens illustrated in the catalog (though none on the four color pages).

M8TC is a red-veined pen.

Also, I have to ask. How is it that when you think it prudent you claim a pen doesn't follow the catalog as per date of manufacture but other times you insist on following it religiously?

The embedded statements made here are false. I present evidence that points to a conclusion; I don't follow catalogs 'religiously'; as in the present case, I simply lay out what they say, and I qualify my assertions accordingly, as I have clearly done here.

I could dredge up countless arguments you've made that you can't trust the catalogs and that various pens, though you have no proof, were made for years.

No you can't, as I have not done as you have claimed, and you will be unable to provide any support for your claim, so there is no need to address it.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Just for grins, here's a pic of an OS lever filler gray pearl. Clip shows typical incipient corrosion, which is why it's hard to find clean white trim pens. The cap band is perfectly clean, but to my eyes it appears to be a different finish from the clip and lever. The band looks more satin (nickel perhaps?) while the clip and lever look like chrome. post-1496-1182711816_thumb.jpg

Guest PeteWK
Just for grins, here's a pic of an OS lever filler gray pearl. Clip shows typical incipient corrosion, which is why it's hard to find clean white trim pens. The cap band is perfectly clean, but to my eyes it appears to be a different finish from the clip and lever. The band looks more satin (nickel perhaps?) while the clip and lever look like chrome. post-1496-1182711816_thumb.jpg

Nice pen. Also a non-catalog pen. Very interesting.

PeteWK

Pete;

You have to study the catalogues as Daniel and I have done. Daniel concluded and I agreed some time ago that the "A" designated a gray pearl no red veins and the "M" designated one with red veins. It is clear when following the liturature as we were concerned about the pictures and what they illustrated and Daniel determined quite correctly that it is in the code as to which were gray pearl and which were gray pearl red veined. So you are correct, saying it doesn't make it so but the evidence supports the conclusion that I was making.

Quoting Richard's web site is far from evidence as he refines his information as additional data is found. It is an attempt to be definitive limited by the information at hand so it is by no means entirely conclusive. It's very nature of updating for new information puts it leaps and bounds ahead of the book available on the subject.

Roger W.

Just for grins, here's a pic of an OS lever filler gray pearl.

Nice pen. Also a non-catalog pen. Very interesting.

PeteWK

Cataloged as model A8T on page 4 of the 1936 catalog. See your own scan here.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer