The Lamy 27

MYU

Thanks for the excellent review.

This pen is complete news to me. I had not heard of it before. So thank you on two levels.

I'll have to look out for one to go with my modern Lamys.

- Mark

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• HesNot

• piembi

• tomw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, this astoundingly well researched gem comvinced me that I want a 27! I've just won the bidding on a M with what Lamy thought was an XF nib (it's more probably like an F). Over the past few weeks I've been coming to appreciate the 51 more; the 27 sounds like it has most of its virtues, and hoping that the much more conventional nib gives the feedback and orientation that the 51 is weak in. Later I might look for a medium nib to have made into a 0.5mm cursive italic.

That rolled gold model looks *astounding*, Myu.

Well done on finding this gem and thanks for sharing it with us!

- Jonathan

I'll just add a tiny amount of research I've done: there were at least four other pens from reasonably major manufacturers that took a similar approach to the 27 in competing with Parker, i.e. combining a hooded nib with a piston filler with a hooded or semi hooded nib and a smooth eliptical shape. These were:

The Pelikan P1

http://www.pentrace.net/penbase/Data_Retur...icle.asp?id=383

The pen was an awkward looking copy of the 61, but did incorporate traditional Pelikan quality and some innovations from none other than Theodor Kovacs who had developed the piston 40 years earlier. Still the pen offended many Pelikan users and like the Parker 61 it used poorly made, lightweight plastic. The model lasted only five years and was a failure according to Lambrou.

The P1 seems to have been current around 1960.

The Onoto K

I haven't being able to find out anything about this pen other than the bare piston-filler-plus-hood specification!

The Aurora 88

This is surely the most famous of the competitors:

http://www.pencollectors.com/pennant/sprin...ingvintage.html

Engaging the design services of the famed Italian architect Marcello Nizzoli, they presented their newest model, the "Glorious 88", as its top of the line model in 1947. It was introduced to compete, on Italian terms, with the "modern" looking "51" of Parker's. Like the "51", the "88" had a hooded nib; but its nib extends much further from its hood, giving it a "hooked" appearance. It was initially offered in two versions, both with black barrels and metal caps.

The top model had a gold-filled cap, the next a nickel/silver alloy called "Nikargenta." Both caps had the same style: closely spaced vertical lines around the cap with a domed top inset with a silver disc à la the aluminum "jewel" of the 1941 "51". These were average length pens with a slightly larger diameter than their competition, and all had a very smooth piston-filler with a long ink-view window in clear/black striped pattern. The first series had black hard rubber hood/sections and turning knobs with the Aurora 88 logo on the top of the hood with a serial number stamped on its bottom. They had two "clutch rings," one above the hood, the other at the base of the turning knob. These were not really a true clutch ring as on the Parkers; the fit of the metal caps was so exact that they merely provided the needed friction to hold the caps in place. They are beautifully made, elegant looking, well proportioned pens that write as well, if not better, than they appear. The first series pen shown here has a gold-filled cap and a very soft BB nib of 14k gold typical of all the "88"s of that time. Its feed design ensured an even and consistent ink flow such as that found on the "51" and Pelikans of that time. This, along with its marvelous nib, assured its nickname: "the Glorious 88". And a more glorious pen you will be hard pressed to find in today's market, new or vintage. To hold this stunning piece of design, Marcello Nizzoli also designed a semi-oval aluminum two-piece case in either a clear, blue or gold anodized finish, all with a yellow/red flannel polishing cloth with the Aurora 88 logo in red on it. This is truly "the 88", contrary to the new iteration brought out by Aurora recently.

Like the 27, which it preceded by a considerable margin, the 88 has an ink window.

Montblanc series

Theoretically MB made several pens to this recipe in the late 50s, but they were at least as similar as a 51 Vac and a Flighter, so I'm counting them as one:

"http://jim.griffiths.home.comcast.net/modeloverview.htm

In the late 1950s, MB completely redesigned the lines and moved to the then-current trend for slender pens. The result is the 1x, 2x and 3x lines. These were much thinner than most previous models, and made of plastic. They also had a semi-hooded wing nib, and all were piston-fillers. Almost identical in appearance, the key to each is the cap band.

I've heard these can very pleasent semi-flex nibs.

Finally, Richard Binder on hooded nibs:

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref_info/hooded_nibs.htm</a>

True to his collecting preference, RB sticks to the American 51 competitors, which read as if they were at best a second rate lot with no innovations of their own to compare with the 27's tintomatic and interchangeable nib - not to mention inferior fillers, sometimes botched nib units, and no ink windows. The Eversharp "Fingertip" pen was a more imaginative, if troubled, response that pointed (haha) the wat to the Sheafer inliad nibs - http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Moore/Mo...rtipGallery.htm://http://www.richardspens.com/?page=r...rtipGallery.htm

Edited by meanwhile

- Jonathan

A number of other pen makers tried their hand at hooded nibs as well, including many Italian makers (montegrappa and Omas and many small pen makers, like those that also made the fake P-51s), Burnham in England, and small makers in America. Oh, and Eversharp, with the Fifth Avenue.

I see the K and P-1 as true hooded nibs, and even the 88. But the MB pens from '59 into the 1970s were, IMO, semi-hooded nibs, as was the Lamy 27. Look at the P-1 next to an M 30: there is just a huge difference in the degree of which each is hooded and I would say the M 30 is no more hooded than the nibs of the typical Japanese Long Cap pen.

Well, if I were to get rigorous about this, I'd exclude the P-1 as well, because while it is fully hooded, it is just a tiny sliver of a nib, a conventional nib more or less (as was the 5th Ave, I think), while the 88 is, like the 51, a tubular nib. But I make my distinctions the most superficial way--by looks!

Dan

Excellent points, Dan. It might be interesting to put together a photo montage of hooded nibbed pens. :)

Btw, the nib in this photo is NOT a Lamy 27 nib... it happened to come with the pen when I bought it. The original nib must have been damaged beyond repair and the owner somehow obtained a "Platinum" stamped tubular nib:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Lamy/27/Lamy27_feed.jpg

Upon closer inspection, it became obvious that it would not fit in the Lamy 27 section properly. After disassembling another 27, I have verified it. The true Lamy 27 nib is almost shaped like the Delta Flyer from Star Trek Voyager. I'm suspecting that this nib in the photograph is tipped with platinum, as it doesn't look like something from a Platinum brand fountain pen. Curious...

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, I wasn't aware of those pens, too bad they're not made any more, I'd buy one. ;-(

They may not be made any longer, but you can find them periodically through FleaBay and other on-line channels. :)

I just performed an ink capacity test, with some surprising results. I filled and refilled the following 3 pens with water and discovered the following capacities:

International piston converter: .7 ml

Parker 51 aerometric: .8 ml

Lamy 2000: 1.4 ml

Lamy 27n: 1.5 ml

Pelikan 400NN: 1.8 ml

Yep, the Lamy 27 beats the 2000. I was rather surprised to see this, based on the pen barrel size and thickness. I even tried out 2 different 27's. Incidentally, here is a chart of some fountain pen ink capacities: John Mottishaw's Ink Capacity Chart

Edited by MYU

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I recently obtained a rather used Lamy 27m that I took a risk on disassembling the section. It had a couple of minor cracks and I was planning on cannibalizing it for parts anyway. I had great luck in removing the nib and feed. It's very interesting to see the design. I'll be taking photos within a few days and post. Stay tuned!

:)

UPDATE:

I recently obtained a rather used Lamy 27m that I took a risk on disassembling the section. It had a couple of minor cracks and I was planning on cannibalizing it for parts anyway. I had great luck in removing the nib and feed. It's very interesting to see the design. I'll be taking photos within a few days and post. Stay tuned!

:)

Excellent, EXCELLENT review. Keep it coming!

Please don't send PM's, use my e-mail instead. Thanks!

Enjoy it!

regards,

René.

:happyberet:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/realestilograficas/Lamy/Lamy27Desar.jpg

Thank you for the great review and interesting information on the Lamy 27. This was my first introduction to the pen. I will be researching it further. I'm a Parker "51" fan so this pen is right up my alley!

"'I will not say, "do not weep", for not all tears are an evil."

• 3 weeks later...
Enjoy it!

regards,

René.

:happyberet:

Thank you for the photo, René. I have not yet braved a full dismantling of the piston mechanism, but I have extracted the nib. I will post more photos soon. :)

Incidentally, I heard indirectly that Dr. Lamy is not pleased to be associated with Lamy pens prior to the model 2000. Accordingly, I have removed his photo and updated my comments to reflect his emphasis. I hope he was not offended... :mellow:

Dear Gary,

Many thanks for the super article on the Lamy 27s. I am a bit of a Lamy fan. I have 2 27s, a 2000, a Persona, a Studio, and a Safari! They are among my favorites. So I was delighted to see your informative dissertation on the Lamy 27s.

My older 27 (e I think - plastic cap) writes very well - starts even after days of sitting, and never a hesitation. My only problem is with the newer one (it was bought as new old stock - it has an "L" on the top of the cap) has an overly wet ink flow. Too wet, really to be practical. Do you have any suggestions as to how I could modify the flow to make it a bit more normal? Is this a common problem?

Thanks again for the very interesting piece!

Tom

Retired professor

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Gary,

Many thanks for the super article on the Lamy 27s. I am a bit of a Lamy fan. I have 2 27s, a 2000, a Persona, a Studio, and a Safari! They are among my favorites. So I was delighted to see your informative dissertation on the Lamy 27s.

My older 27 (e I think - plastic cap) writes very well - starts even after days of sitting, and never a hesitation. My only problem is with the newer one (it was bought as new old stock - it has an "L" on the top of the cap) has an overly wet ink flow. Too wet, really to be practical. Do you have any suggestions as to how I could modify the flow to make it a bit more normal? Is this a common problem?

Tom

Hi Tom,

You're welcome--I'm glad that you found my review informative. You've got quite a budding Lamy collection! Which Persona finish do you have?

I also have a later model 27, with the "L" on the cap top. What size nib is yours? I have found the ink flow to be on the wet side, generally speaking. So, if you have a broad one, it'll be a rather wet experience. As for controlling flow, for most pens it is the nib alignment, the assembly/alignment of the feed, and the condition of the ink reservoir. For the 27, the feed is pretty much fool proof. It may be that your nib needs an adjustment. Also, if your piston mechanism has a weak seal, this could allow air to seep into the reservoir, thus accelerating ink flow.

Regards,

~Gary

Dear Gary,

thanks for the reply. My 27 has a "31 m" mark on the body of the pen but nothing on the nib so I am assuming it is nominally a Medium. The nib is very, very smooth and remarkably flexible as well, but I see nothing that needs adjustment. It is hard to see how to make the nib metal sit closer to the feed, alas. It is a flexible nib so I may be just too ham fisted! A very light touch may be what is needed. I am experimenting with expelling a drop of ink after I fill it to "unload" the section - I'll see if that helps. Is there an easy way to see if the piston has a weak seal? I bought the pen as new old stock so it was nto abused but clearly stored for some time. Do you know the rough vintage of thesee models?

My Persona is one with a black "plastic" body and a brushed metal cap. The clip is a bit of a pain, a cool idea but awkard to use so I do not use it as much as I ought. It, too has a wonderful nib and does not write too wet for me.

Hi Tom,

You're welcome--I'm glad that you found my review informative. You've got quite a budding Lamy collection! Which Persona finish do you have?

I also have a later model 27, with the "L" on the cap top. What size nib is yours? I have found the ink flow to be on the wet side, generally speaking. So, if you have a broad one, it'll be a rather wet experience. As for controlling flow, for most pens it is the nib alignment, the assembly/alignment of the feed, and the condition of the ink reservoir. For the 27, the feed is pretty much fool proof. It may be that your nib needs an adjustment. Also, if your piston mechanism has a weak seal, this could allow air to seep into the reservoir, thus accelerating ink flow.

Regards,

~Gary

Retired professor

Dear Gary,

Amazing how the fates intrude. Right after I posted my response to you helpful reply, I dropped my Lamy 27 and 1/2 of the very tip end (the "irridium" part) broke off. Boo Hoo! Do you know if the nibs of the various 27s are interchangable? I have an older 27 (screw cap) I like a lot but use less because of the screw cap. Could I swap nibs? Or rather could the nibs be swapped - I am not sure how to dismantle a 27.

Tom

Dear Gary,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Regards,

~Gary

Retired professor

Nice review of a Lamy pen I never heard of before, the 27 reminds me of the original Aurora 88 in looks. Looks like it's an attainable classic, now the big quesiton is where can we find them?

Bill

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

Does anyone know how the 'extra-fine' nibs on Lamy 27s perform? Dry Scratchy? Or nice, wet and smooth?

Publifhed According to the True Originall Copies