Salz Brothers

aunt rebecca

hi,

i would like to find out more information about the salz brothers who manufactured the peter pan pens and others. what happened to the brothers? when did they stop making pens? thanks

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aunt rebecca

• rhr

• Johnny Appleseed

• BillTheEditor

Just what I need, another research project :doh:

I just searched Lion and Pen, with nothing really fruitful as to who they were. As to what happened to them, I am not sure in the long run, but they did go on to make the 2nd-3rd tier Stratford pens, and seem to have sold a lot of them - eg. Stratford search on ebay.

Don't worry though - if a Salz collector doesn't pop in here somewhere with the full scoop, AZ or I will come up with something in a couple of days. ;)

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Apparently one of the brothers was named Ignatz, and he had some excitement in his life in 1927. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.htm...78AD85F438285F9

The other brother is probably named in this article, but it's up to you to pay the NYT for the privilege of reading it: http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.htm...4D9405B878EF1D3

Edited by BillTheEditor

Jacob, James, and Ignatz. Their last design patent was in 1946, so the company may have lasted into the 1950s.

George Kovalenko.

:ninja:

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

hi,

not to worry, i all ready pay for time select. it is a wonderful service. i never thought to search the archives! thanks :rolleyes:

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

Aunt Rebecca,

If you are doing research on them, I hope this might help. Here is a Manhattan Pen with their logo on the cap - another pen company they were in some way related to. Someone can probably chime in with more information. Let us know what interesting information you find on them.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/DSC_0015r.jpg

The Manhattan is the pen on the top. Sorry, I don't have a solo picture.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/DSC_0003r-3.jpg

philm

but it's up to you to pay the NYT for the privilege of reading it:

Hint - sometimes libraries will subscribe to the NYT archive, meaning all you need to access it is a library card. :ninja:

A good academic library sometimes has even more searchable archives, like the Federal Register back to the 30s etc.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

hi,

i started with google, but it led me to some info--bill really did it!! the salz brothers' names were ignatz and james salz. ignatz was shot in 1927, James was sure it was a robbery attempt. the police were sure he was shot by mistake. the head of the federal narcotics bureau lived in the same house as ignatz salz. interesting! :D

Phil, I don't think "Manhattan" is the name of another pen company. Seeing as the Salz logo is on the pen, it's more likely a pen model name like the Morrison "Tourist", or the Parker "Duofold".

George Kovalenko.

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

Interesting is that Jacob is not listed in the 1925 directory entry of the company, where Ignatz is the pres and treas and James is the vice pres and secretary. Ignatz survived the 1927 bullet and died in 1958 while James died in 1928 after a gallstones operation. Ignatz also married James wife :)

Interesting family.

First patent that Google shows is an FP in 1918 assigned to Salz Brothers, while the last one is a design for a lighter in 1951 assigned to Stratford Pen Corp.

Salz Brothers and Stratford Pen Corp. are the same company. A list of patents assigned to their company or under their name can be found in this and this link.

Also who is Herman Salz of this patent?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/azavalia/salz1A.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/azavalia/salz5A.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/azavalia/salz0A.jpg

Edited by antoniosz

hi,

in a subsequent article in the new york times about the 1927 shooting of ignatz salz, the motive for the shooting is reported as a revenge shooting by a disgruntled man, either the husband or the boy friend of the 2 women he was entertaining at that time. interesting....

Their last design patent was in 1946, so the company may have lasted into the 1950s.

I'd guess that it did -- judging by its styling, I don't think the Stratford Magnetic is likely to have appeared in the 1940s.

http://www.richardspens.com/images/ref_info/glossary/zoomed/stratford_magnetic_capped.jpg

http://www.richardspens.com/images/ref_info/glossary/zoomed/stratford_magnetic.jpg

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Phil, I don't think "Manhattan" is the name of another pen company. Seeing as the Salz logo is on the pen, it's more likely a pen model name like the Morrison "Tourist", or the Parker "Duofold".

George Kovalenko.

I stand corrected. As I stated, I was uncertain as to the relationship. Thanks for correcting me and I hope this helps Aunt Rebecca.

Their last design patent was in 1946, so the company may have lasted into the 1950s.

I'd guess that it did -- judging by its styling, I don't think the Stratford Magnetic is likely to have appeared in the 1940s.

The Stratford Magnetic was covered by design patent 152,717, applied for Nov 1, 1947 and granted Feb 15, 1949.

In fact, Salz/Stratford was quite au courant when it came to styling. There is a whole sequence of similarly modernistic designs covered by design patents running from 1944 on.

As long as we're dealing with Stratford, the late incarnation of Salz, there is a later pen design patent, D159,978 granted on Sept 5, 1950, and also very sleek and bullet-nosed and modernistic.

George Kovalenko.

rhrpen(at)gmail.com