Two New Pilot Capless Models Compared

Dan Carmell

Based on Dan's review I recently bought a Decimo from Ujuku. I also bought a VP on the Marketplace (thanks grasshopper!) with a Mottishaw'd nib, and the nibs are interchangeable. Both are great pens, but for daily use, I prefer the Decimo's size.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dan Carmell

• thewolfgang

• MYU

• HDoug

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My blue Decimo arrived this morning thanks to Richie at Cyberpens. I prefer the narrower diameter over the ordinary VP. Trying to decide whether I prefer the fine or medium nib, I think the preference would be the medium.

The Decimo is definitely a nice size and weight. I would have quite liked the pink one, but the blue is nice and so smooth to the touch. Glad that the nibs are interchangeable between the VP and Decimo - I might have to get a nice stub nib for the Decimo at some point :)

Call me old fashioned but to me the good old VP is still the bees knees. You can 'improve', 'inovate' etc but at the end of the day you either like the 'VP' genre or you do not.

I do, in trumps!!! My blue carbonesque with a Mr Binder tweaked nib and my straight blue and gold with a standard broad nib are just heavenly.

I rest my case.

However, since neither of them are sold in North America, (and Europe?)  it's been a bit tough for most of us to figure out which pen would be the best choice.

For the Dutchees, the Decimo is now alos available in The Netherlands.

PW Akkerman december 2006 newsletter (in Dutch)

Enjoy,

/:) Hans.

Edited by MYU

smilehttp://home.kpn.nl/geele160/pinno.gifand enjoy the moment

Call me old fashioned but to me the good old VP is still the bees knees.

Your "good old" VP is still the "new" model, in my mind! When I think of the good old VP, I think of the 1980/90s models, light and with a clip that was very unobtrustive.

Others might think of yet earlier models as the good old VP--or technically, the good old Capless. It's all a matter of perspective, but I'm glad you like your version!

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, I just wanted to let all you VP fans know that if you happen to be in Northern California, specifically San Francisco that I saw a store that stocked both the Decimo and Fermo. I was surprised because I thought these were not imported into the US. Anyway the store is called Maido lacated in the mall @ 845 Market street. They also carried Sailor 1911??? and other high end Pilot pens, sorry I can't be more specific, but my SO rushed me out because she knows how dangerous I can be in these stores. Especially around Xmas, I have a tendency to buy pens for myself.

I guess I'll have to hit the MaiDo's around me - Palo Alto and Santana Row (San Jose). You must have stopped by the new MaiDo. There's also a branch in SF's Japantown.

I'd been waiting for a petite-sized VP and will give this one a try for my next Japanese pen. :D That is, once the credit card recovers from Xmas spending!

In response to a previous post I sent a note off to Pilot pen in CT. Here is there response regarding US availability of the Decimo and Fermo:

We share your enthusiasm for quality writing instruments. At this, point both items are being reviewed, but we cannot commit to carrying them. One thing is certain. Our marketing agreement with Japan precludes our making these two items available for the balance of 2007.

Your comments will be forwarded along to our Marketing people. I am

sure they will factor it, as well as similar requests, into their deliberation.

We value your comments as they assist us in our efforts to provide writing instruments of the highest quality.

Best regards,

Jeanette Hirsch

Consumer Advisor

Pilot Corporation of America

Customer Service

60 Commerce Drive

Trumbull, CT 06611

• 2 weeks later...
I guess I'll have to hit the MaiDo's around me - Palo Alto and Santana Row (San Jose).

Well.... you mention Palo Alto and Santana Row .... so you must be close to my stomping grounds !!

I live in Mountain View, and will take a look at MaiDo. [being pretty new to this crazy little thing called FPs, still learning about local sources.]

BTW, is there such a thing as a FP organization in Northern CA ???

thx !!

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb238/lmederos/logos/luissignatureicon.gif

-- Luis

Luis and Myu, you should both be part of the Pan Pacific Pen Club, which meets in the Bay Area on a quarterly basis. Please email me to get more information if you are interested.

Dan Carmell

Luis and Myu, you should both be part of the Pan Pacific Pen Club, which meets in the Bay Area on a quarterly basis. Please email me to get more information if you are interested.

Hmmm... would be a good excuse to head out to San Francisco! I haven't been back that way in some time and I'm overdue for a visit with some friends there.

When is your next meet?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

The next meeting will be in March, most likely, after the LA show, and will probably be located in the San Mateo area. We rarely meet in San Francisco--just once in the last 4 or 5 years.

Generally, the quarterly meetings rotate around the Bay Area: Peninsula, North Bay, East Bay, and South. I like to think of it as guaranteeing everyone at least three long drives each year!

Do come: watch for announcements on these boards or email me for our secretary's email address to get on the mailing list.

Dan

FYI, the Palo Alto MaiDo branch closed last weekend. I happened to stumble upon the 30% sale (everything in store) on the last day. They did not have decimo in stock. I also visited the Santana Row location and did not see decimo's.

• 3 months later...

tintin, sorry, that was my fault! I moved the images around in my Photobucket account and broke the links. I've restored them and you should be able to see the images now.

Dan

I have been deliberating on whether to buy the Decimo or the VP. People here have complained that the VP is like a blimp, but the Decimo is much more expensive! I need to see whether the difference is so great to merit that great a difference in price.

Times like these, I really wish that we had more pen stores in my country, so I can try out the pens in person before deciding. How annoying.

(The Fermo I don't much care for, since I'm buying the VP or Decimo for single hand "capping and uncapping.")

Thanks for the review! At least I now have more data on which to base my decision.

I know many like the Decimo because it's light and slim, but I found it too much so. I just ordered a Fermo (from Ujuku) and am looking forward to that nice feeling of density. I think it was Richard Binder who described the VP as a "lead blimp" but that's before he started selling them... :P But don't tell Richard I told on him -- he's holding my Falcon for regrinding, and I just ordered a .5mm cursive italic from him. For the Fermo...

Doug

I have been deliberating on whether to buy the Decimo or the VP. People here have complained that the VP is like a blimp, but the Decimo is much more expensive! I need to see whether the difference is so great to merit that great a difference in price.

Times like these, I really wish that we had more pen stores in my country, so I can try out the pens in person before deciding. How annoying.

(The Fermo I don't much care for, since I'm buying the VP or Decimo for single hand "capping and uncapping.")

Thanks for the review! At least I now have more data on which to base my decision.

Not to add to the confusion, but I'll briefly share my experience. I was (still am) really happy with my VP Carbonesque (aka Capless Kasuri) despite the well-documented "blimp" like qualities, hefty weight, and clip placement. Even though I have smaller-size hands and usually go for lighter, smaller pens for daily use, I didn't mind the weight or clip placement of the VP at all and found myself using the VP more and more for everyday tasks like note taking and journal writing.

All of this changed, however, when I recently took the plunge and got a Decimo. I never had the chance to check out the VP or Decimo in person, so I didn't realize just how heavy the VP was until after I received my Decimo. The Decimo is wonderful to write with and is much more comfortable in my hand than the VP. I still adore my VP, and it remains dutifully in my rotation. But I find myself drawn to and using the Decimo more and more.

Ideally, you should test both models out before purchasing. But if this is not possible and you prefer lighter, smaller pens, it may be worth the extra dollars to go with the Decimo instead (my Decimo cost about 35 USD more than my VP). Of course, you can save yourself a headache and just get both :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Question: is the decimo as thin as

the old namiki vps, from the 1990s

or earlier?

Second, the threads on my 1990s

models have failed; they are,

as you know, plastic. Any fix

for this problem?

[

Thanks for the review. I've wondered about the specific differences between the Fermo and the Decimo.