Conway Stewart "Swisher Exclusive"

alvarez57

INTRODUCTION

I had spotted this pen since the very beginning it was introduced at Swisher's Web Store. I have always admired Conway Stewart (CS) original celluloid patterns and colors. Two things that kept me away from them was the prices and a terrible experience I had with a Dandy edition pen. Nevertheless, I would check over and over the pen.

What then made me buy, after almost a year and a half this pen? Paradoxically two things that are not my favorite: fine nib and cartridge/convertor (c/c).

Follow me and you will see why I chose this pen.

Presentation 5/5

http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/4524/2171314980101882882S500x500Q85.jpg

This pen comes in a two-box set.

The first box is square and its dimensions are 12 1/2 "x 6 3/4 ". The lid is opened by a dark green tab, leading to the second box which is 10 3/4" x 5".

Both boxes are of texturised synthetic leather pattern. The rhomboid box is encased in this faux white velvet fabric which serves as a neutral background. The lid is also opened by another tab which leads to the pen. The pen is then extracted by a ribbon of the same dark green fabric as the tabs.

http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/8738/2983964720101882882S500x500Q85.jpg

History

I could not get much of its history except that it was an exclusive series made in 2005 for Chuck Swisher. Only 100 fountain pens were made, with 25 Rollerballs and 25 Ballpoints.

Body, design 5/5

http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/9305/2413201960101882882S500x500Q85.jpg

The body is that of the Duro series introducing a new design, the Razorshell. Unfortunately I could not find much info about why Razorshell, which is a shell of the bivalve family.

The colors basically are white, black, orange and salmon pink with some few ambers and pearlised grays.

Two gold ribbons adorn the cap, a fine one near the clip and a thicker one, unadorned, near the scew section. This is a HEAVY PEN, for inside the barrel it has a brass (?) cilinder, yet it is well balanced and does not tire my hand.

The size of the pen is 5 1/2 " capped, 6 3/4" posted and 1/2" in diameter. The cap also has weight added to it at the end.

http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/7724/2088465500101882882S500x500Q85.jpg

Nib 4/5

http://inlinethumb24.webshots.com/8791/2354963820101882882S500x500Q85.jpg

This one is for Phthalo !

This is the reason why I bought a Fine nib, because it is italic, and I love italics. My previous CS (Dandy) was a favorite writer because of the smoothness of the nib and its "flexilbility". It is an 18k nib engraved in elegant simplicity with the CS logo.

Why a 4? Because most modern nibs do have flow issues and this one has.

Filling System 1/5 or 4/5

http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/8951/2117522360101882882S500x500Q85.jpg

Depending on your taste for piston, levers, buttons or simply c/c. Due to a previous negative experience with the Dandy lever system, I DID prefer the c/c. Plus cleaning the pen is very easy and no offensive inks for the celluloid.

Conclusion :cloud9:

I love this pen in spite it may visit one of the nibmeisters for adjustments, something I really don't mind much. It has become my diary and snailmail favorite. The colors are more alive than I initially thought. Some may call it loud, but after owning a Krone Moderne, this is somehow "classical" for me.

Thank you. :)

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alvarez57

• DRP

• playpen

• Phthalo

Lovely review Sonia!

I usually don't like too many CS celluloid’s, but because of the orange/salmon colors here, this one looks pretty nice to me! (The grip section looks great in the second-last photo.)

The Fine Italic nib looks *nice*. I like very fine stubs and italic nibs more and more lately myself. From your writing sample, the variation seems quite gentle - looks like a very smooth writer. :)

Bummer about the flow issues though... have the usual cleaning tricks improved the flow at all? Does it get better or worse depending on the ink?

Glad you're enjoying it regardless!

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Lovely review Sonia!

I usually don't like too many CS celluloid's, but because of the orange/salmon colors here, this one looks pretty nice to me! (The grip section looks great in the second-last photo.)

The Fine Italic nib looks *nice*. I like very fine stubs and italic nibs more and more lately myself. From your writing sample, the variation seems quite gentle - looks like a very smooth writer. :)

Bummer about the flow issues though... have the usual cleaning tricks improved the flow at all? Does it get better or worse depending on the ink?

Glad you're enjoying it regardless!

Thank you Laura. I do like the colors a lot although they took a while to grow on me. Once I saw the pen in my hands, I realized how attractive the pen is. I cleaned this pen with mild soap, but more than the nib, I do believe is the *darn* convertor system for it fills with air at the "joint" area. i still haven't tried it with a cartridge. And it is a smooth writer but as we all know, the soft spot is narrower in an I talic than in round pens. This is a nib that is training me instead of the opposite! :ltcapd:

sonia alvarez

• 2 weeks later...

That pen looks lovely Sonia..I have 2 modern 58s, one in meteor and the other grey. I love them both. I have not had any problems with either of them, and as you say, they write beautifully. I too am a fan of the fine italic... By the way, what inks do you prefer? That could make a difference to the flow.

Happy writing! Andy

That is quite a nice pen :) enjoy it.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

That pen looks lovely Sonia..I have 2 modern 58s, one in meteor and the other grey. I love them both. I have not had any problems with either of them, and as you say, they write beautifully. I too am a fan of the fine italic... By the way, what inks do you prefer? That could make a difference to the flow.

Happy writing! Andy

:roflmho:

Thank you and Georges. I usually like inks that are saturated but... I learned not on my Omas' <_< .

Due to my job, I have to use inks that Photocopy, so mostly in the blue, black and deep purple spectrum. Browns are welcomed too. An FPN member sent me a sampler of her inks and gave me wonderful ideas to mix. PR orange burst has become THE ink for this pen. :thumbup:

sonia alvarez

hi,

as others have found, you need to take the converter out of the pen. add one or two drops of dish washing liquid to a bowl or glass of water. draw up the liquid into the converter several timers. rinse in clear water several times to get rid of the soap. this should clear out any oils left in the converter by the manufacturer.

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

hi,

as others have found, you need to take the converter out of the pen. add one or two drops of dish washing liquid to a bowl or glass of water. draw up the liquid into the converter several timers. rinse in clear water several times to get rid of the soap. this should clear out any oils left in the converter by the manufacturer.

Yup! that's what I did with this one. It may be the ink but it dries in it and it's a pain in the neck to get it started. :angry:

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

I have always wanted to add a Conway to my collection.The Razorshell is a delightful colour as well as the green series.

Makes me re-think these English gems.Thanks for the review.

JD

I usually don't like too many CS celluloid’s, but because of the orange/salmon colors here, this one looks pretty nice to me! (The grip section looks great in the second-last photo.)

That's a poser for me in whether the material of the marbled CS pens is celluloid or acrylic. Don't think that one or the other is really an issue but I've a meteor black that I thought was celluloid but doesn't ahve the smell.

Kurt

I usually don't like too many CS celluloid's, but because of the orange/salmon colors here, this one looks pretty nice to me! (The grip section looks great in the second-last photo.)

That's a poser for me in whether the material of the marbled CS pens is celluloid or acrylic. Don't think that one or the other is really an issue but I've a meteor black that I thought was celluloid but doesn't ahve the smell.

Kurt

Well I can tell you this one HAS the smell! :thumbup:

sonia alvarez